PDA

View Full Version : Superhub 100mb fine for me?

Gavin78
25-04-2012, 00:38
I recently upgraded to 100mb and so far the superhub has been working fine for me.

I feel sorry for those having problems but this is the results so far.

Me wired - 100-105mb (speednet) running through 15m of ethernet cable
Wife - wifi about 10ft from the router she gets around 70-105mb

Upstairs - wifi now I read about the poor wifi as the laptop up there is getting around 30-40mb at best

I am running 30m of ethernet cable up there as well for stepsons Xbox however I dont know if its poor cable or the amount of cable but when I did speednet through that when attached to his laptop I was only able to achieve around 6mb?

overall I find the superhub ok. I do have a Acer RT-N56U router but not had a chance to set that up yet

thenry
25-04-2012, 00:52
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/?categoryid=206

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance

Gavin78
25-04-2012, 01:29
Why would I need one of them when I have the ethernet cable running direct from the modem going upstairs?

would this be the reason for the drop in speed because I dont have it plugged into one of these?

djfunkdup
25-04-2012, 02:23
Why would I need one of them when I have the ethernet cable running direct from the modem going upstairs?

would this be the reason for the drop in speed because I dont have it plugged into one of these?

Running an Ethernet cable upstairs should be fine...

Cable runs up to 100m should be unaffected by any loss...

thenry
25-04-2012, 02:35
you dont need the powerline solution.

what standard is the ethernet cable your running upstairs?

have you manually tried downloading files to test the speed? speedtest.net is pretty flash hungry that some computers cant handle with ease. also you may want to check the system specs to see if its able to max out.

ferretuk
25-04-2012, 08:15

Silly question, but have you tried plugging his laptop in instead of your PC?

GavChap
25-04-2012, 09:27
Another way to test the cable is to copy a file from your PC to his laptop and check how fast that does it. Over 100Mbit you should get around 10-11 Megabytes per second showing in your file transfer window.

Edit: Also Powerline AV 200Mbit, the best you'll probably get is around 50Mbit in ideal conditions, unless you go for the 500Mbit or Gigabit plugs that use AV2.

Gavin78
25-04-2012, 10:39
Ethernet cable says cat5 E written on it.

laptop is pretty upto date....4 gig of ddr3, own graphics card, i5 2.6ghz cpu with turbo to 2.9 when needed only got it in January.

I've not actually tried it since the other week as been on holiday but its my stepsons laptop that he uses so will give it another try later. he gets better speeds on Wifi so left it on that anyway. he uses the ethernet cable running upstairs was for his xbox 360 as he uses that the most and wanted a more stable connection than wifi.

GavChap
25-04-2012, 10:56
Your router (Asus RT-N56U) is one of the best out there for throughput and wifi, it'll do simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz, the SH will only do one or the other. You will be 100% better off using that and sticking your SH into Modem Mode. You may even find your ethernet cable starts working properly. ;)