PDA

View Full Version : 50M Frequently not getting 50M through wired connection

jonboy1108
24-04-2012, 19:43
I have the 50MB service, but do not always get 50mb speed recently. I'm not worried about wireless speeds, just wired connection.
I have a Belkin N1 vision wireless router connected to my cable modem. Cabled into that I have a NAS and a few other devices, also a long Cat 5 cable which goes outside the house and back into another room where I have a 5 port Cisco switch with a Wireless access point, Apple TV and my Macbook.
My Macbook recently doesn't get 50MB (it used to regularly), it gets average 25-35MB speeds.
If i plug the Macbook directly into the Virgin modem I get 50MB.
If i plug the Macbook directly into the Belkin, then I get reduced speed again, occasionally 50MB, and when I plug into the Cisco i rarely get 50MB these days, it's very hit and miss.
Do you think some of my other devices are taking the bandwidth? I have a QNAP Turbo NAS, but i'm wondering if it's the Belkin that's causing issues...
any help or sugggestions greatly appreciated!

Mick Fisher
24-04-2012, 19:50
Belkin is not a manufacturer/supplier renowned for quality products :(

Of course it could be dying but check it's config to make sure that nothing untoward has got inadvertainly set. Pay partiular attention to QOS if it is an available option.

jonboy1108
24-04-2012, 20:06
Hmm I had the feeling that my Belkin was not up to scratch... I've had it for a good few years as well.
Are the Super hubs that come from Virgin any good?

General Maximus
24-04-2012, 21:02
Are the Super hubs that come from Virgin any good?

In one word.......No

Imagine the worst router you can get and times it by a million. The shub is worse than that :)

jonboy1108
24-04-2012, 21:17
Fair enough. Super Hub a no-no then.
Incidentally I found no QoS options on the Belkin.

Can anyone recommend suitable routers? Must have gigabit ports, and be able to
cope with the imminent 100mb upgrade to broadband service.

I was looking at the Linksys E range of routers.

General Maximus
24-04-2012, 21:22
good choice dude. I had the wrt150N when i was on 50mbit and upgraded to the E3000 for 100mbit. It is an excellent router with great wireless range and performance. The E2000 also has gigabit ports but it isnt dual band

zero967
24-04-2012, 21:22
Hi There, I am new to the forum and even though im not currently a Cable customer, i did use to work for Virgin Media Broadband Tech Support at one point.

I have a Belkin N1 vision wireless router connected to my cable modem. Cabled into that I have a NAS and a few other devices, also a long Cat 5 cable which goes outside the house and back into another room where I have a 5 port Cisco switch with a Wireless access point, Apple TV and my Macbook.
My Macbook recently doesn't get 50MB (it used to regularly), it gets average 25-35MB speeds.
If i plug the Macbook directly into the Virgin modem I get 50MB.
If i plug the Macbook directly into the Belkin, then I get reduced speed again, occasionally 50MB, and when I plug into the Cisco i rarely get 50MB these days, it's very hit and miss.

One thing in the below quote struck me and i thought i would register and post my answer to you. The Cat 5/5e/6 cable you have is it UTP (unshielded Twisted Pair) or STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) to check this read the cable itself or try a different cable.

The reason i mention this is because UTP Ethernet cable is UNSHIELDED and can be succeptable to interference from outside influences such as wireless, mobile phones, microwaves, Taxi Cabs, CB radios and so on so this would probably cause a hinderence in the performance anyway on top of any issues with this router.

I would probably suggest running a Power Line system instead, it utilises your existing home electric system as a method to send data Up/down (e.g. it sends the internet though your 3 Pin Power Plug)

You can get decently priced ones on here http://www.7dayshop.com and search Power Line at the top of the page!

Anyway hope this helps also.

qasdfdsaq
24-04-2012, 21:46
LMAO. Interference on an ethernet cable but not mains electric? Get real.

jonboy1108
24-04-2012, 23:04
Thanks for the suggestions, but I have already tried a Powerline solution, with not great results for network speed - nowhere near the 1000Mbps promised, and kept cutting out too...

My cable that runs between rooms outside is UTP, so perhaps I should try a shielded cable instead.

boroboi
24-04-2012, 23:08
LMAO. Interference on an ethernet cable but not mains electric? Get real.

Haha indeed, i'd expect the interference from mains to be a hell of a lot more than anything you could get through an unshielded Ethernet cable.