PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection really slow, upload problem?

horrorwood
21-04-2012, 00:33
Hi,

My internet connection has been very slow for the past few days. I am seeing around 3 to 3.5mbit download speeds and very very slow upload. Webpages are very slow to load

For example:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/04/32.png

Speed.io is also showing 3,412kbits download and 12 (yes twelve!) kbits upload. It also shows "Connects" at 0 :confused:

My router (rt-n56u) has a traffic monitor and there is nothing showing as being uploaded/downloaded and I am the only client connected to it.

My modem info shows the following:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 193
Downstream Frequency : 291000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 15.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.8 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 35800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 41.2 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 4
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 1072000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 8160
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Enabled

I do not know if any of that is a problem.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what could be wrong please?

craigj2k12
21-04-2012, 00:58
your downstream powers way too high, get an engineer out

horrorwood
21-04-2012, 01:20
your downstream powers way too high, get an engineer out

Damn! Thanks for letting me know :)

Whats the easiest way of letting VM know and getting them to sort it?

Milambar
21-04-2012, 02:59
The easiest way is via their forums, that way you don't have to speak to India, but, I think the forums have a very slooooooowww turnaround.

The fastest way, is to call them on 151 if you have a virgin phoneline (dunno the number if you don't).

thenry
21-04-2012, 03:35
yeah high down levels as pointed out above.

have you checked for an area fault > https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

also what modem have you got?

General Maximus
21-04-2012, 08:57
orrrrrrrrrr, you can get an attenuator to put on the back of the modem but by the time you order it and it gets here (Tuesday or Wenesday) an engineer will be round anyways.

Neo-Tech
21-04-2012, 10:57
yeah high down levels as pointed out above.

have you checked for an area fault > https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

also what modem have you got?

Don't even mention/suggest about getting a SuperHub, he doesn't need it!

And from the layout of the stats, I'd hazard a guess and say it's a NTL 25x modem.

horrorwood
21-04-2012, 10:59
Thanks guys, I think I have an attenuator somewhere from my previous address, I'll try it if I can find it.

I have an ambit 255 modem.

craigj2k12
21-04-2012, 11:48
Don't even mention/suggest about getting a SuperHub, he doesn't need it!

And from the layout of the stats, I'd hazard a guess and say it's a NTL 25x modem.

ill second that, dont let tech support make you think you need a superhub either! you will be far better off without one!

thenry
21-04-2012, 12:39
Get on docsis3 :D

craigj2k12
21-04-2012, 14:01
Get on docsis3 :D

im not sure how you tell, but looking at the downstream channel it looks like the OP already is

thenry
21-04-2012, 14:59
full on docsis3 :D

craigj2k12
21-04-2012, 15:34
full on docsis3 :D

if they are connected to the docsis3 network, then they are connected to the docsis3 network, no ifs or buts

thenry
21-04-2012, 15:46
multiple channels? extra security?

craigj2k12
21-04-2012, 17:44
multiple channels? extra security?

10mb user wont benefit from extra downstreams, and changing modem is not going to change what network your connected to, and the docsis3 network is secure!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

thenry
21-04-2012, 18:04
10mb user wont benefit from extra downstreams,

you dont know that for sure just like i dont know if bonding would (oversubbed network)

and changing modem is not going to change what network your connected to,

you sure about that? i know youve mentioned seeing the SH on non docsis3 but from what ive seen most with SHs regardless of speed tier get put on docsis3

and the docsis3 network is secure!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

indeed it is but is the older nondocsis3 standard modems which resides in the customers property? can they handle the same security measures?

General Maximus
21-04-2012, 18:48
10mb user wont benefit from extra downstreams

I think they will indirectly providing the shub goes onto docsis 3 and not 1. The fact that the other users will be using more channels and load balancing means that it is less likely the the 1 channel the 10mbit customer uses will be congested.

The thing which confuses me is this:

If you have got however many hundreds of thousands of customers on 10mbit and below using 1 channel why on earth dont we let them load balance across 8 channels, decreasing the chance of 10 of them all using the same 1one channel at the same time and screwing it up for me? :)

Imho the best thing VM can do to reduce congestion is to let everyone load balance across 8 channels. What is the point in restricting certain tiers to 2 or 3 channels?

craigj2k12
21-04-2012, 21:52
indeed it is but is the older nondocsis3 standard modems which resides in the customers property? can they handle the same security measures?

if they didnt handle it then they wouldnt be able to connect! Dont forget the old modems are DOCSIS2 capable. The only thing is that they cant channel bond

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

I think they will indirectly providing the shub goes onto docsis 3 and not 1. The fact that the other users will be using more channels and load balancing means that it is less likely the the 1 channel the 10mbit customer uses will be congested.

The thing which confuses me is this:

If you have got however many hundreds of thousands of customers on 10mbit and below using 1 channel why on earth dont we let them load balance across 8 channels, decreasing the chance of 10 of them all using the same 1one channel at the same time and screwing it up for me? :)

Imho the best thing VM can do to reduce congestion is to let everyone load balance across 8 channels. What is the point in restricting certain tiers to 2 or 3 channels?

No-one uses 2 channels do they? I dont even think anyone has 3 any more, and 4 is being phased out as well. As long as the user is on superhub on docsis3 they will be using the same amount of channels as any other user on the same platform

Although you are correct, a 10mb user locking to 1 channel will make near enough no difference to load balancing, especially seeing as downstream isnt affected by load in the same way as upstream, a loss of speed doesnt necessarily mean loss of performance

The advice I have above was to help the OP of this thread, they would have better performance keeping the modem than changing to the superhub

horrorwood
27-04-2012, 11:13
Wow that was fun, he has given me a superhub as apparently these old modems are no good....

He then proceeded to "install" the superhub using the OLD power supply that is a lower voltage and provides a lower amount of amps. I then told him I wasn't happy about that so he said he'd give me another PSU at the door.... great. He told me they usually don't swap the PSU's but as its a big PSU it could do with being changed!

I told him the brown box on the front of our house is damaged and he originally said he'd look at it, then he changed his mind and said he'd have to book an S.O.R (i think) as its raining and he needs a 30 min slot to do it!!

He also said my router (Asus RT-N56U!) was probably not good enough, I just pretended to agree with him.

Oh well at least it works now.

General Maximus
27-04-2012, 14:28
What are your power levels like now?

horrorwood
27-04-2012, 14:54
What are your power levels like now?

Hi, Here you go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23426361/power.JPG

Does that seem OK?

General Maximus
27-04-2012, 17:40
ish. The shub definitely wasnt the magic cure and I would have expected him to make your downstream power a bit better. 7 is still borderline.

horrorwood
28-04-2012, 11:42
ish. The shub definitely wasnt the magic cure and I would have expected him to make your downstream power a bit better. 7 is still borderline.

Could it be because my brown box on the front of the house is basically hanging off? and the splitter inside seems to be a bit rusty.

I did tell him but he said it would not effect it..

General Maximus
28-04-2012, 15:05
I dont think it would cause your power levels to get better or worse

thenry
28-04-2012, 17:18
get a screwdriver and fix the box back the wall? get a splitter off ebay if you want to replace it.