PDA

View Full Version : ADSL MAC codes and account closure

jpsartre
18-04-2012, 14:47
I'm (potentially) involved in a dispute with Virgin Media over the closure of my broadband account and would like a bit of technical advice. Basically, I decided to switch to a different provider in late January. My new (and current) ISP got in touch with Virgin Media to arrange the switch-over shortly after which I recieved an email from Virgin with the subject "Virgin Media Broadband Cancellation" and which contained the following message:

"We wanted to let you know that your Migrations Authority Code (MAC) has been processed by your new broadband service provider and your Virgin Media Broadband account will be cancelled on the 20-02-2012."

Problem is while my internet connection indeed was cut on the morning of February 20, my account wasn't really cancelled. I only found out about this yesterday (April 17) and Virgin insists that I pay all outstanding bills up until that day, despite the fact that I have received no services from them since February 20. I asked the CSR why my account hadn't been cancelled when the email I received clearly stated that it would be (on February 20). At first he said that it was because I continued to receive my phone-services from Virgin. After I pointed out that my phone services were provided by BT and had been for years he said it was because I didn't call them to cancel the account.

Anyway, my question is whether or not the processing of my MAC code by my new ISP should be enough (in normal circumstances at least) to ensure the cancellation of my account? I suspect there was a screw-up on Virgin's part and that my account was inadvertently left open after February 20, in which case I find it more than a bit unfair that they want me to pay for the months of March and April. What do you think? To my mind, the email I received isn't really open to interpretation with regards to the closure of my account but maybe I'm missing something so I wanted to find out more about the technicalities involved in obtaining and using a MAC code to transfer services. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

BenMcr
18-04-2012, 14:59
This is from the National terms http://virgin.net/terms/broadband_tc.html

b.Transfer to another service provider: if you want to transfer your broadband service to another service provider, then you should contact us to request a Migration Authorisation Code ("MAC"). Your account will be Cancelled if:

i.you provide the MAC to your new service provider and they use the MAC to migrate your broadband service; or

ii.you transfer your phone and broadband services to a new provider where your new provider does not use a MAC or another recognised transfer process. Please note that if your new provider does not use a MAC to transfer to your services you will be charged a disconnection fee as set out in section H.6 below. Please contact us in advance to discuss your cancellation options and the charges that may apply on cancellation.

c.We will continue to provide the Service to you until your services have been transferred to your new service provider and you must pay all charges for the Service until the date on which your Service is transferred.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

So as far as I can see they cannot charging you for anything past the transfer date, plus as they sent you an email confirming this they cannot go back on it. Sounds more like the person you spoke to didn't know what they were saying

danielf
18-04-2012, 14:59
If that was indeed in their email, and they didn't tell you to take additional steps to close the account, then it seems to me that they haven't got a leg to stand on.

They told you they would close the account. They didn't. Their problem, not yours.

jpsartre
18-04-2012, 15:07
Thanks guys, that bit from the T&C was exactly the sort of info I was looking for. It was very frustrating talking to them on the phone as the CSR didn't seem to care that the cancellation had been confirmed by email, he just kept repeating that it was in their T&C that cancellation should be made by phone. Very happy to discover that isn't the case.

The only follow-up email I got from them was an email on February 20 which stated that my services had been succesfully switched to a different provider.

I agree that they don't really have a leg to stand on but they have my money for the month of March already and won't refund it and insist that I pay for April. If I do not, I was told that they will pass on the claim to a collection agency.

boroboi
18-04-2012, 17:54
Tell them you want a refund for the month of March immediately, or you will pass your claim on to a collection agency :P

jpsartre
25-04-2012, 09:34
Just wanted to update and let everyone know that the issue has now been solved. Had a call from Virgin Media this morning after sending a complaint be email last week. They took full responsibility for the error, refunded the March payment and cancelled all outstanding payments on my account. The whole thing has still left a sour taste in my mouth though as I was given false information over the phone by two separate representatives but at least they owned up to the mistake in the end.

dilli-theclaw
25-04-2012, 12:26
Just wanted to update and let everyone know that the issue has now been solved. Had a call from Virgin Media this morning after sending a complaint be email last week. They took full responsibility for the error, refunded the March payment and cancelled all outstanding payments on my account. The whole thing has still left a sour taste in my mouth though as I was given false information over the phone by two separate representatives but at least they owned up to the mistake in the end.

Thanks for the update :) :tu:

jpsartre
24-05-2012, 18:59
Didn't think I'd have to come back to this thread but I've just had a letter with a bill from Virgin charging me a disconnection fee, despite the fact that I have an email from them confirming the process of a MAC code when switching provider, in which case no fee should be charged. Will call them tomorrow to set things straight and then I will hopefully never have to deal with them again.

jpsartre
25-05-2012, 09:34
Okay, just another screw-upon their part. The CSR first said the bill had nothing to do with a disconnection charge (despite what the letter I received said) and that it was a bill for the month of April! I told him my account was closed in February, he went away to confer with his supervisor, came back and apologized for the error and promised me that my account now had no outstanding balance and that I would receive no further bills.