PDA

View Full Version : General Free double speed rolled out in my area

geordiechris
18-04-2012, 03:16
Hi guys,

VM have tonight rolled out the double speed from 50Mb to 100Mb in my postcode area however my upoad speed has remained the same at 5Mb. Are they only doubling the download speed?

babis3g
18-04-2012, 03:58
Both ... the upload should follow the next coming weeks

General Maximus
18-04-2012, 10:12
that's interesting, you are the first person I have seen who has waited for the upgrade and afaik they only upgrade you when they have completed the capacity upgrades in your area so you should be 10:1. Give them a ring and ask them when you are getting it because I am curious to know. The only people who have been 10:0.5 are the on-demand retiers because they have been upgraded prior to the physical work being done.

Chrysalis
18-04-2012, 10:17
as far as I understand if the upload speed isnt doubled then the rollout isnt officially done in the area, lots on here have the new configs for higher download speeds but they have it early due to VM dishing them out for retention reasons.

Synthetic
18-04-2012, 10:23
I don't believe the whole of Newcastle has been done, few people i've spoke to are still on 50Meg

babis3g
18-04-2012, 11:19
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Announcements/We-re-doubling-our-customers-broadband-speeds/m-p/958425

Will my upload speed increase, as well?

Yes! It’s not just your downloads that’ll become much faster. Your upload speeds will be automatically increased as we upgrade our network, so you get the best of both worlds.

Depending on the progress of the network upgrade there maybe a delay after your download speed is increased before your upload speed boost occurs.

I’m an existing customer. If I change my package, will I get a second speed boost for free?

If you upgrade your broadband speed before we give you the speed boost, then yes we’ll give you the new speeds on top when your area is ready.

Chad
18-04-2012, 14:19
My service has been upgraded today too. I live near Linlithgow, about 20 miles outside Edinburgh.

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1037/broadband.jpg

Usain Bolt told me my upgrade would be between April and June :D

GavChap
18-04-2012, 14:24
Mine isn't upgraded yet. I'm in Hemel Hempstead. :( Usain told me it'd be March-April. Only a few days of April left!

alwaysabear
18-04-2012, 14:28
Mine isn't upgraded yet. I'm in Hemel Hempstead. :( Usain told me it'd be March-April. Only a few days of April left!

Same here in Essex due March /April. Up speed now 60mb after receiving a Superhub, but down is 2.90 mb.

General Maximus
18-04-2012, 15:18
I am starting to get jealous now. I am wondering if my area has been upgraded because we are April-June as well. Unfortunately I have no way of telling because I am already on 100mbit and as I am using a vmng300 I have no way of seeing if extra channels have been added. Makes no difference to me either way though because I still get full speed.

Chrysalis
18-04-2012, 15:21
I got extra channels today the signs were.

1 - first the outage
2 - my first channel changed to a frequency I only see in upgraded areas and wasnt previously used.

of course I cant see how many extra channels there is as I am using 3 of the old ones plus a new one.

In my view the US hasnt had anything done to it tho and I am already seeing old jitter levels coming back, but max download speeds still holding out.

looking at 2pm on my graph a 100mbiter probably recconected his torrent.

GavChap
18-04-2012, 15:26
Same here in Essex due March /April. Up speed now 60mb after receiving a Superhub, but down is 2.90 mb.

My Downstream is still 30Mbit, my US is still 3Mb... I'm on XL. Who knows when I'll get upgraded. My IP address has changed 3 times in the past week though, and there was an outage, so I think they've been doing the upgrades.

Chrysalis
18-04-2012, 17:50
my speeds still max after these channels were added even with a now dodgy looking tbb graph.

Now awaiting some US upgrades :p

alwaysabear
18-04-2012, 18:03
I still have 4 down stream and 1 up stream. Still there is another week or so until the end of April.

Rockstar6662
18-04-2012, 18:41
The website says I've been upgraded today to 20mb but despite a reboot my download speed hasn't actually changed and when I log on to the modem it says I'm still on 10mb.

I'm still using an ntl 250 modem which works fine with 20mb as I used to be on that and the online test in the green box says it should be fine. Do I need to wait longer, could there be a problem?

gumpy321
18-04-2012, 18:57
Mine has "apparently" been upgraded here in Manchester. Well my upload hasn't gone to ten meg yet...

Ignitionnet
18-04-2012, 20:15
The upgrade initially is downstream only due to some issues with upstream bonding. Do love people complaining about only having their downstream doubled for nothing though, think you missed an 'r' out of your nickname poster above me :)

General Maximus
18-04-2012, 20:42
welcome back dude, long time no see

gumpy321
18-04-2012, 20:43
The upgrade initially is downstream only due to some issues with upstream bonding. Do love people complaining about only having their downstream doubled for nothing though, think you missed an 'r' out of your nickname poster above me :)

I didn't.:)

So when does the upstream get doubled? What's the time frame on that?

Zee
18-04-2012, 21:55

customers never asked to be doubled in the first place, Virgin Media said they would double customers speeds, so its not really complaining when they themselves have told us they will double our speeds, yet not actually double our speeds funny.

boroboi
18-04-2012, 23:50
So your TBB graph took a turn for the worse even though more load balancing is in effect, LOL! Got to love VM.

Chrysalis
19-04-2012, 04:34

if they cant get bonding to work is it not a viable solution to just add the extra US's as seperate channels so reducing the users per channel? not ideal but better than no upgrade.

Or is the plan to just bond existing US channels?

Welcome back as well.

boroboi
19-04-2012, 13:45
Imho they should be adding extra upstreams AND bonding them. Bonding two already congested channels is lazy tbh.

Chrysalis
19-04-2012, 13:47
I agree but I heard no confirmation of either way so no idea if its one or the other yet.

craigj2k12
19-04-2012, 13:59
I agree but I heard no confirmation of either way so no idea if its one or the other yet.

im not sure if they are adding extra but did see a post on the VM forum with someone locked onto a very low upstream frequency

General Maximus
19-04-2012, 14:11
Imho they should be adding extra upstreams AND bonding them. Bonding two already congested channels is lazy tbh.

I dont think there is a problem with the upstream which is why the stm is so relexed. They need to add a bucket load of capacity so everyone can hit 80% of their speed 80% of the time

Chrysalis
19-04-2012, 19:31
I dont think there is a problem with the upstream which is why the stm is so relexed. They need to add a bucket load of capacity so everyone can hit 80% of their speed 80% of the time

Nearly every VM graph I see shows upstream congestion and I believe the vast majority of VM congestion is upstream.

As to why the STM is so relaxed that has lost me. It probably just means VM arent so concerned about upstream performing well as downstream hence the looser limits.

craigj2k12
19-04-2012, 20:06
ofcom etc dont help, always pushing downstream

General Maximus
19-04-2012, 21:52
the weird thing is that I can honestly say i have never had a problem with upstream. I have tested it throughout the day everyday of the week and I have never have a problem achieving max speed, even on a Friday evening or during the weekend, whereas downstream can suck ass.

geordiechris
19-04-2012, 22:45
I can honestly say since the upgrade my download speeds have been spot on.

I did upgrade towards the end of last year from my current 50Mb connection to the 100Mb service. After I upgraded to the 100Mb connnection I had such erratic speeds that I cancelled this service and went back down to the 50Mb service within 3 or 4 days of ordering the service. For example when I had the 100Mb connection, in the morning up until about midday I had the 100Mb connection I was paying for but come the afternoon I was lucky to get a quarter of that. Calling the faults team served no purpose at all which was why I went back to the 50Mb service and have had a consistent 50Mb connection ever since.

Chrysalis
20-04-2012, 05:15
I can also confirm my download speeds are fine since the channel boost, so in my case it was downstream congestion killing my download speeds but I do still have upstream congestion. even at 7pm my speeds are fine now whilst before as soon as the sun was up I couldnt max out.

On the upstream congestion will affect jitter much earlier than it affects throughput general maximus.

Ignitionnet
20-04-2012, 12:51
customers never asked to be doubled in the first place, Virgin Media said they would double customers speeds, so its not really complaining when they themselves have told us they will double our speeds, yet not actually double our speeds funny.

Mind trying that again and it making some kind of sense?

Some slightly more accurate punctuation along with having a legible point would be cool.

If you're saying what I think you are I'd point you to the timescales in question, VM quoted March / April for the first speed doubling, it's still April, a fair few people have had their downstream increased in advance of their scheduled full upgrade, a good thing, right?

When VM start missing the timescale for full doubling of speeds then there's a reason to complain.

General Maximus
20-04-2012, 17:43
Mind trying that again and it making some kind of sense?

due to the massive congestion in some areas the only effect speed doubling has had is a change in modem configs. It is pointless doubling speed when you cant benefit from it because you couldnt get your pre-doubled speed to start off with

(what I think he meant to say :P )