PDA

View Full Version : 50M Upgrading from 50mb to 100mb

tanny
16-04-2012, 21:05
Rang up VM today to see how much it would cost to upgrade to 100MB as free speed boost is not available in my area just yet.

I got quoted and extra £9 per month is this correct? As i was under the impression that 100mb price is the same for 50mb?

Also when i was speaking to the gentleman from India he stated that Bradford is now schedule for the speed boost in October not July as stated on the webpage.

Who have the most reliable information?

Thanks.

Tanny

BenMcr
16-04-2012, 21:20
They may have tried to upsell you to a bundle that included 100Mbit

Also the schedule on the website is the correct one

tanny
16-04-2012, 21:24
They may have tried to upsell you to a bundle that included 100Mbit

Also the schedule on the website is the correct one

Thank You. If i ring retention do you think it will be a possibility that i can get an upgrade to 100mb at no extra charge?

I thought the website was correct but the VM staff was adamant that is was October.

General Maximus
16-04-2012, 21:54
they have been upgrading everyone else early so i dont see why not. That being said, all the free upgrades I have seen are little ones from 20 to 30 and 30 to 60. I cant remember anyone going 50 to 100 for free. It is worth doing even if you have got to pay a few extra £££ for it temporarily because they are going to reduce the price anyways. I have always said that I dont need any more speed (and I'll probably say the same for 200mbit) but 100/10 sure is sweet.

tanny
16-04-2012, 21:59
they have been upgrading everyone else early so i dont see why not. That being said, all the free upgrades I have seen are little ones from 20 to 30 and 30 to 60. I cant remember anyone going 50 to 100 for free. It is worth doing even if you have got to pay a few extra £££ for it temporarily because they are going to reduce the price anyways. I have always said that I dont need any more speed (and I'll probably say the same for 200mbit) but 100/10 sure is sweet.

Thanks you have made a good point. Will give them a ring and see what they say.

BenMcr
16-04-2012, 22:04
because they are going to reduce the price anyways.That happened on the 1st April, any price difference now won't be changed.

Daveoc64
17-04-2012, 00:31

I went from 50 to 100 for free at the start of the month.

gumpy321
17-04-2012, 06:40
I went from 50 to 100 for free around a week ago after I gave Virgin a call.

Sherlock Holmes
17-04-2012, 08:17
I know someone who phoned retentions and got upped from 50 to 100 for free around a week ago. They then noticed that they only had the 5 meg upload still so phoned up again to complain that they needed the 10 meg upload speed and got that increased aswell.

cheers

crazyronnie
17-04-2012, 09:37
I went from 50 - 100 for free in mid March

gaz2810i
17-04-2012, 09:49

My upgrade was done early by VM at no extra cost. I just phoned and asked on the day the new collections were launch and they were happy to do it.

Pubmaster
17-04-2012, 10:03
Are these upgrades done over the phone? or do you need a visit from an engineer?

crazyronnie
17-04-2012, 10:08
mine was over the phone as i already had a super hub

Pubmaster
17-04-2012, 10:17
Cheers crazyronnie

Last time i rang up to ask about upgrading to the 100mb i was told that they would have to book an engineer to come out, which worked out about 2-3 weeks time, so i told them to leave it as i did not fancy a day of staying in waiting for them.

Rabb
17-04-2012, 10:21
I went from 50 to 100 for free around a week ago after I gave Virgin a call.

same here, also bill was reduced £4 a month. so was a great bonus,
would try 150 again, 1st 2 ppl i got swore blind that 100mb was not in my area. 3rd call , got a helpfull woman who upgraded me in mins.

tanny
17-04-2012, 10:46
Quick update, Just phoned Retention and i have now been upgraded to 100MB for no extra cost.

One point they did mention is that STM in a evening is from 5pm till 11pm & not what the Website stated 5pm till 9pm.

Pubmaster
17-04-2012, 10:50
Yep typical Virgin media, just called to see if i can be upgraded over the phone, within 30 seconds i was told, yes we can do it over the phone as i have the super hub, ten seconds later, errrrr, no we cant do it over the phone because you have TiVo? when i ask what that had to do with anything, i was told that i could wait until the free upgrade was rolled out {unknown} OR i could change my package from VIP50 to VIP100 but it would cost me an "EXTRA £50 PER MONTH"

When i asked what EXTRA i would be getting for this £50pm, i was told an increase from 50mb to 100mb lol, so i asked, so going from 50mb to 100mb is a £50 increase? but come FREE upgrade day not only will i get it for FREE but might even have a few quid knocked of my bill? the answer: YES

I dont know why i bother phoning them to be honest, i dont think i have ONCE phoned them in all the years of being with them, where i have got a simple answer. lol

tanny
17-04-2012, 10:55
Yep typical Virgin media, just called to see if i can be upgraded over the phone, within 30 seconds i was told, yes we can do it over the phone as i have the super hub, ten seconds later, errrrr, no we cant do it over the phone because you have TiVo? when i ask what that had to do with anything, i was told that i could wait until the free upgrade was rolled out {unknown} OR i could change my package from VIP50 to VIP100 but it would cost me an "EXTRA £50 PER MONTH"

When i asked what EXTRA i would be getting for this £50pm, i was told an increase from 50mb to 100mb lol, so i asked, so going from 50mb to 100mb is a £50 increase? but come FREE upgrade day not only will i get it for FREE but might even have a few quid knocked of my bill? the answer: YES

I dont know why i bother phoning them to be honest, i dont think i have ONCE phoned them in all the years of being with them, where i have got a simple answer. lol

Did you speak to the Retention department? The 1 st time i rang i got fobbed off like you did.

Pubmaster
17-04-2012, 11:11
Am gonna leave it till later and let the Mrs phone, last time i tried to get something sorted with them over the phone i ended up cancelling EVERYTHING lol

The Mrs has got more patience than me when talking to them, i know they can get some awkward customers on the line, and its not a job that i would probably enjoy, but to be honest nearly every time i have phoned i have ended up with someone who knows as much about their company's products and prices as i know about quantum physics.

Rexz
17-04-2012, 13:25
After reading this thread I thought I would give it a go. Got through to a nice lady and was upgraded to 100mbit from 50mbit for free and instantly. I also have the tivo box and a spare v+ box in another room... Only problem I have now is that I'm on 100mbit down and 5mbit up :erm:

BenMcr
17-04-2012, 13:36
Only problem I have now is that I'm on 100mbit down and 5mbit up :erm:That is as it should be as you are on XXL 100. You'll get the 10Mbit upload once the doublespeed work completes in your area

Rexz
17-04-2012, 13:39
That is as it should be as you are on XXL 100. You'll get the 10Mbit upload once the doublespeed work completes in your area

Ah ok excellent!

Pubmaster
17-04-2012, 14:06
Glad to hear of your success Rexz, dont know why i always seem to have problems whenever i phone them.

I have the VIP50 package with a {i think 1TB} Tivo box, a V+ in one bedroom, and a standard box in another bedroom, and the super hub.

Still dont know why i cant just upgrade, as i am in the 100mb area :-{

tanny
17-04-2012, 14:34
I have a strange problem & just got off the phone with VM Tech team. If i have my SH in Modem Mode i can only get 50meg.

As soon as i take off Modem Mode i get 95+meg. Tech guy is sending me out a new Wireless modem free of charge.

Question is this common by current Modem is Netgear WGR614v9.

I then thought of just using the SH only but as soon as i take off Modem Mode it works fine with a wired connection but wont let me connect to any wireless devices?

Can anyone suggest any options?

Regards

MPH
17-04-2012, 18:03
Ok so based on this tread I called VM this morning, I was on 50Mb & due to get speed doubled between April & July. Chap on the phone upgraded me over the phone so all good.
Then checked the speed & I was getting 100 down and 5 up... called virgin back & it was explained I would get the full 10Mb up when the speed upgrades are rolled out.
This makes no sense to me as I have had 100Mb in my area for some time now

Should I have the 10Mb up ?

gumpy321
17-04-2012, 18:05
Ok so based on this tread I called VM this morning, I was on 50Mb & due to get speed doubled between April & July. Chap on the phone upgraded me over the phone so all good.
Then checked the speed & I was getting 100 down and 5 up... called virgin back & it was explained I would get the full 10Mb up when the speed upgrades are rolled out.

Read further up the page, Ben has explained why.

General Maximus
17-04-2012, 18:21

they did the work to make 100mbit available before xmas for a few users who wanted it but there is nowhere near the capacity atm to bump all the 50mbit users onto 100/10 which is why you arent getting the full upgrade until they have been round again and added more capacity.

Daveoc64
17-04-2012, 18:37
Are these upgrades done over the phone? or do you need a visit from an engineer?

They told me that I needed an engineer, but after my experience going from 30>50mbps with an engineer visit (he told me he had nothing to do, other than to call the activation line) I told them that I didn't want to have an engineer visit.

They did it over the phone then.

punkrock101
17-04-2012, 19:04
They are telling I can't get it but the postcode checker says I can. What a joke.

BenMcr
17-04-2012, 19:18
They are telling I can't get it but the postcode checker says I can. What a joke.Postcode checker is whether 100Mbit is enabled in your area (as everywhere now is), not if there is capacity for the on demand retier

General Maximus
17-04-2012, 19:21
and following on from that logic, as all areas are 100mbit enabled already, if the capacity was there then they wouldnt be bumming around for the next year with upgrades and they would wang everyone up straight away

cookster
17-04-2012, 19:31
I was upgraded by retentions over the phone for free. The config file has been updated but I have the VMNG300v2 modem.

I'm getting nowhere near 100meg download should I ring back and ask for the SuperHub, even after the bad press it gets?

General Maximus
17-04-2012, 19:45
nope, the vmng300 is perfectly capable of giving you 100mbit. What are you using as the basis for your lack of speed? Have you checked your power levels?

Skie
17-04-2012, 20:19
I was upgraded by retentions over the phone for free. The config file has been updated but I have the VMNG300v2 modem.

I'm getting nowhere near 100meg download should I ring back and ask for the SuperHub, even after the bad press it gets?

What router do you have hooked up? It may have QoS set for 50meg or just be incapable of handling 100meg.

cookster
17-04-2012, 20:36
nope, the vmng300 is perfectly capable of giving you 100mbit. What are you using as the basis for your lack of speed? Have you checked your power levels?

I used various speed tests (speedtest.net, thinkbroadband)

Powers levels are;

Down
Power Level
(dBmV)5.40 4.66 5.18 5.21

Up
Power Level
(dBmV)45.50 N/A N/A N/A

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

What router do you have hooked up? It may have QoS set for 50meg or just be incapable of handling 100meg.

Main PC is plugged directly into cable modem via Cat cable.

General Maximus
17-04-2012, 21:47
have you tried doing any downloads from torrents or newsgroups or any bulk http downloads from somewhere like gamershell?

The reason why I am asking is because I had a vmng300 when I was only 50mbit and whenever I ran a speed test from speedtest.net it always gave me 50mbit. When I upgraded to 100mbit they forced a shub on me and all of a sudden my speed tests results wouldnt go above 36mbit. If I downloaded multiple files by http or used newsgroups I proved that i was still pulling 12mb/sec, it just wasnt reflected in the speed test for whatever reason. I moaned my ass off and got my vmng300 and now everything is rock solid again including the speed tests.

Skie
17-04-2012, 23:03
Main PC is plugged directly into cable modem via Cat cable.

What does http://192.168.100.1/CmStatus.asp say?

Specifically the Ethernet link status.

Sherlock Holmes
18-04-2012, 01:05

What the General said,..

But if your running speed tests use the London namesco server on speedtest.net or this site http://vmspeed.com/

Cheers

cookster
18-04-2012, 06:49
What does http://192.168.100.1/CmStatus.asp say?

Specifically the Ethernet link status.

Hi it says " 100 Mbps/Full duplex"

Rabb
18-04-2012, 10:02
After reading this thread I thought I would give it a go. Got through to a nice lady and was upgraded to 100mbit from 50mbit for free and instantly. I also have the tivo box and a spare v+ box in another room... Only problem I have now is that I'm on 100mbit down and 5mbit up :erm:

before got sb 2 weeks back, had 5mb u/l, now with sb installed & going 100mb , max getting is 2.7mb u/l. again a total loss on getting any help when call 150.
but this seems a common problem that just appearing for more & more ppl, should have 5mb/10mb u/l but stuck at 2.7mb. this aint stm ect, no matter what time, server, test ect the max is always 2.7mb. asked for help on vm own forum after calling 150 so many times, lets u right down everytime.
but guess what after a week no vm could even respond, after trawling thru 2-3 pages
over there which can go back weeks, dont think ever saw a post from them that ever helped any person looking for help.

cookster
19-04-2012, 20:04
have you tried doing any downloads from torrents or newsgroups or any bulk http downloads from somewhere like gamershell?

The reason why I am asking is because I had a vmng300 when I was only 50mbit and whenever I ran a speed test from speedtest.net it always gave me 50mbit. When I upgraded to 100mbit they forced a shub on me and all of a sudden my speed tests results wouldnt go above 36mbit. If I downloaded multiple files by http or used newsgroups I proved that i was still pulling 12mb/sec, it just wasnt reflected in the speed test for whatever reason. I moaned my ass off and got my vmng300 and now everything is rock solid again including the speed tests.

Ok the plot thickens. This morning I did a speedtest and get 90mbit + and also early evening. However now I'm lucky to get between 50-70mbit and I've downloaded nothing?

So it's either over active STM, congestion or power levels.

Anyone help how I can troubleshoot this without wasting time with a friend from India?

General Maximus
19-04-2012, 22:00
firstly, you are not going to get 100mbit if you NIC is connected at 100mbit because there is other stuff going on in the background which you have got to allow for. In order for you to get 100mbit (and soon to be more) you need a gigabit NIC with any ports on your roters/switches/modem also at 1 gigabit.

secondly, speed tests are still dodgy. Unless you like tormenting yourself take my advice and download 8 large files from gamershell (or newsgroups if you use them) and look at the speed. When the shub said I was only getting 36mbit on speed tests I was still pulling over 12mb/sec on downloads.

slowcoach
19-04-2012, 23:06
before got sb 2 weeks back, had 5mb u/l, now with sb installed & going 100mb , max getting is 2.7mb u/l. again a total loss on getting any help when call 150.
but this seems a common problem that just appearing for more & more ppl, should have 5mb/10mb u/l but stuck at 2.7mb. this aint stm ect, no matter what time, server, test ect the max is always 2.7mb. asked for help on vm own forum after calling 150 so many times, lets u right down everytime.
but guess what after a week no vm could even respond, after trawling thru 2-3 pages
over there which can go back weeks, dont think ever saw a post from them that ever helped any person looking for help.
100 Mb users uploads are being capped at 2.7 Mb, for some reason, whilst their local network is being upgraded to allow 120/12 so you will probably have about another month at 2.7 before getting the new top speed, should be about six weeks in total to do the work. Tech Support were not told that this was happening and they can't get through to network staff whilst the upgrade work is in progress so they were completely in the dark, even the Level 2 Techs had no idea what was going on.
The good news is that you are going to be one of the first areas in the country to get the new top speed.
My area has about two weeks more to go, all being well.
Of course this is VM we are talking about so there is still time left for them to step on a landmine, nothing is set in stone.

Skie
19-04-2012, 23:22
Hi it says " 100 Mbps/Full duplex"

Get a cheap gige network card. Even if the problem is network related, you will never get full speed via a 100 NIC thanks to overheads and the cheap spec of most of the onboard ones.

Daveoc64
20-04-2012, 02:07
... and just an FYI, you can get a gigabit ethernet card that goes into a PCI slot on a computer.

If you look that up, you'll see that PCI can't handle 1000mbps!

It can handle about ~500mbps though, which means that a cheap PCI gigabit ethernet card should allow virtually any computer with a spare slot to access the 120mbps service and beyond.

These cards are about £5 on places like Amazon.

cookster
20-04-2012, 12:46
firstly, you are not going to get 100mbit if you NIC is connected at 100mbit because there is other stuff going on in the background which you have got to allow for. In order for you to get 100mbit (and soon to be more) you need a gigabit NIC with any ports on your roters/switches/modem also at 1 gigabit.

secondly, speed tests are still dodgy. Unless you like tormenting yourself take my advice and download 8 large files from gamershell (or newsgroups if you use them) and look at the speed. When the shub said I was only getting 36mbit on speed tests I was still pulling over 12mb/sec on downloads.

Thanks GM you were spot on. I bi-passed the route and wired directly into the modem and now I receive between 101 - 105mbit :)

I have a Hub being delivered on a self-install but will keep the modem as back-up just in case.

As another option does anyone know a good wireless router with Gig ports?

General Maximus
20-04-2012, 17:40
Linksys E2000. You might think it is a bit more expensive than other router of similar spec but linksys kick ass for performance and reliability and defo out-do the shub for routing features, options and configurations.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-E2000-Advanced-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B003B20F54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334940020&sr=8-1