PDA

View Full Version : 100M Changing To Virgin From Sky, BT, Fasthosts

ShaggyRS6
09-04-2012, 20:52
Hi all,

After many months (almost a year) of writing to Virgin Media (Including their boss) trying to get them to run a cable to my house I am finally close to getting the service enabled.

Long story short, houses 50ft have the service but the infrastructure was not run to my part of the development I live on. I was so fed up with Sky and a sub standard broadband speed (5MB) that I kind of hounded Virgin into submission :)

So predominately I wanted the service for the 100MB internet. I will probably max out on a package as it will still save me £50 per month on what I am paying for ATM.

Current service is Maxed out Sky HD, Standard BT phone package and £50 per month fast hosts internet.

If you guys and girls have any tips on what to get and what to expect (when the day finally comes) that would be great.

I plan to go for the 1TB TIVO as well.

Any advice or tips?

craigj2k12
09-04-2012, 20:56
dont know what tips your after but get your own router and put the superhub into modem mode is a good idea :D

ShaggyRS6
09-04-2012, 20:58
Thanks Craig, can you give me a bit more info about the router side of things? At the moment I have an ADSL router, Draytek Vigor 2820n

ferretuk
09-04-2012, 22:39
The Vigor 2820 has dual WAN ports doesn't it? Switch the superhub into modem mode, plug into WAN2 (configured for DHCP) and disable WAN1.

You may need to change any incoming firewall/NAT rules that specifically reference WAN1 if you've got any.

I've got the 2930 so I've dabbled a bit :)

ShaggyRS6
09-04-2012, 22:53
Ooo, Nice, yes it does have 2 WAN ports. I may have some further questions when the day finally comes. Thanks!!!

So why is the router necessary?

Daveoc64
10-04-2012, 04:00
So why is the router necessary?

The Superhub has a variety of problems, and based on the sort of network setup you hint at it's likely that you'll encounter them.

ShaggyRS6
10-04-2012, 06:33
Ok thanks. Your help is appreciated chaps.

General Maximus
10-04-2012, 17:52
long story short if you havent heard about it is that a couple of years ago VM decided they didnt want their customers buying their own routers. Normally on cable you have a modem going to the premises (provided by the isp) and then it is up to the customer whether they want to directly connect it to a pc or a router to allow multiple devices to connect to the internet.

VM obviously got fed up of all the support calls they were getting which must have been router related and in their infinite wisdom decided to produce a combi modem/router, aka the superhub, which has been anything but super. They rushed it out and didnt test it properly and there have been a tonne of bugs and performance issues with it. They have managed to fix quite of few of them with various firmware updates but the shub still sucks ass when it comes to wireless performance and other things keep cropping up as well.

To start off with you was forced to use the shub as a modem/router but as more and more issues cropped up which were taking them too long to fix they decided to enable a modem mode which basically makes the shub a modem and deactivates the router part, allowing you to use your own router again.

Many (but not all) of us recommend you dont even bother using the shub as a router and bang it into modem mode straight away saving yourself the hassel and disappointment. Afterall, how good do you think a free router is going to be versus something which you may have paid £50-£100 for?

TbGbe
10-04-2012, 18:24
So predominately I wanted the service for the 100MB internet. I will probably max out on a package as it will still save me £50 per month on what I am paying for ATM.

Current service is Maxed out Sky HD, Standard BT phone package and £50 per month fast hosts internet.

If you guys and girls have any tips on what to get and what to expect (when the day finally comes) that would be great.

I plan to go for the 1TB TIVO as well.

Any advice or tips?
Sounds like you are looking for VIP collection?
http://shop.virginmedia.com/bundles.html

ShaggyRS6
10-04-2012, 19:22
Is that everything maxed inc hd ? Does VIP give you any
Benefits?

TbGbe
11-04-2012, 19:05
Did you check out the link?
Seems to be best value for money, if you want "maxed" as you stated.