PDA

View Full Version : Slow broadband? Plus, woeful customer support.

Jambone
09-04-2012, 19:28
Having issues with my Internet which I have narrowed down to being a modem issue, whereby it will work great one second, then just stop loading pages and take about 30 seconds to kick back to life again. Also suffering speed fluctuation.

Called up today and got through to India, the lady was naff all help, then claimed she would get another team to call me back in 20...no call. Is it just me or are they actually getting worse?

Here's my modem info anyway:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 74
Downstream Frequency : 291000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 38.0 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 35800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.7 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 4

Any ideas? My area is B93. This has been happening for over a week.

Cheers,
James

Peter_
09-04-2012, 19:59
Called up today and got through to India, the lady was naff all help, then claimed she would get another team to call me back in 20...no call. Is it just me or are they actually getting worse?

No that is par for the course with offshore and the company state that they can never see a time that they will get rid of offshore because they are so good, and that is from the lips of a person rather high up the chain as it was stated in one of the consultation meetings over the closure of the Albert Dock.

Jambone
09-04-2012, 20:00
No that is par for the course with offshore and the company state that they can never see a time that they will get rid of offshore because they are so good, and that is from the lips of a person rather high up the chain as it was stated in one of the consultation meetings over the closure of the Albert Dock.

Lovely. Well, for the record Virgin, they're *****. :p:

DABhand
09-04-2012, 22:21
I would say its your upstream power level, its a tad bit low.. But not sure what is the acceptable levels in your area...

craigj2k12
09-04-2012, 23:22
I would say its your upstream power level, its a tad bit low.. But not sure what is the acceptable levels in your area...

the power level is fine, the fact the modulation is QPSK indicates a problem

Jambone
09-04-2012, 23:24
So what do I do guys? Shall I just request an engineer, I don't want some lady from India to delete my temporary files again...because I'm not a gullible idiot.

thenry
09-04-2012, 23:37
what equipment have you got? is it the stand alone modem or the standard VM hub?

if its the standard hub try the pinhole reset button > http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=322888

if you have no joy call up and say what craigs said. they may reset from their end if they can or just do the simple thing and send out a SuperHub.

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

OR try log into myvirginmedia and order the free upgrade SuperHub if it lets you

Jambone
09-04-2012, 23:41
what equipment have you got? is it the stand alone modem or the standard VM hub?

if its the standard hub try the pinhole reset button > http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=322888

if you have no joy call up and say what craigs said. they may reset from their end if they can or just do the simple thing and send out a SuperHub.

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

OR try log into myvirginmedia and order the free upgrade SuperHub if it lets you

Yeah it's the standalone modem, I'll give all of that a go and let you guys know. Cheers :)

Jambone
10-04-2012, 08:33
Spoke to a helpful VM Tech who sounded like he was from up north. Anyway, he's sent out a new modem, probably the Superhub, as the issues are intermittent and last time I tried to call when the issues were there I go no help whatsoever.

But yes, very helpful and sorted it quickly and easily :) Non-offshore is definitely the way to go.

DABhand
11-04-2012, 12:15
the power level is fine, the fact the modulation is QPSK indicates a problem

Which can be the result of low power levels.

craigj2k12
11-04-2012, 15:17
Which can be the result of low power levels.

but the power isnt low