PDA

View Full Version : 100M Homeplugs for a novice.

gaz2810i
09-04-2012, 14:39
Can someone please explain Home Plugs to me? I obviously understand their use but I don't get what I need to look for in relation to certain applications/uses.

I am looking to buy some very soon. I am buying a Server, which I will need to attach to the internet to create a network.However, where my Super hub and cable connections are it's not really viable to have them connected directly. As such I would like to invest in some half decent, but not break the bank worthy Home plugs. I just don't know what i am looking for and how easy it will be to connect them.

I have a Super hub and 100m broadband and I wish to use the Server as a Media server, back up device and streamer to a Dune Smart hub. :)

TheNorm
09-04-2012, 15:30
Can someone please explain Home Plugs to me? ...

Here is a link to a UK-based company with excellent telephone support. They should be able to answer all your questions.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/

keepitretro
09-04-2012, 17:38
Best you can hope for with homeplugs is 70mb and thats if ur home wires are good!!!

ethernet all the way!!!

General Maximus
09-04-2012, 17:39
you also want to be looking at getting yourself a proper router as well then. I have seen threads where members have mentioned that the plugs connect to the shub but cant transfer data (cant remember what the ins and outs were) and the shub loves to lock up when you attach media servers and NAS to the network and try and stream through it.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Best you can hope for with homeplugs is 70mb and thats if ur home wires are good!!!

ethernet all the way!!!

yup, is there any way you can run a cable through the wall or down the stairs and use a good switch instead?

G5amo
09-04-2012, 18:12

ethernet all the way!!!

Guys - I'm curious - why is this?

I note various powerline adapter manufacturers boasting 1Gb speeds, are they being conservative with the truth?

gaz2810i
09-04-2012, 18:50
you also want to be looking at getting yourself a proper router as well then. I have seen threads where members have mentioned that the plugs connect to the shub but cant transfer data (cant remember what the ins and outs were) and the shub loves to lock up when you attach media servers and NAS to the network and try and stream through it.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

yup, is there any way you can run a cable through the wall or down the stairs and use a good switch instead?

Thats interesting, do you mean the hub as a modem or as a router?

Not sure my wife would be willing to let me do this :dozey:

I personally just want to buy the best spec I can afford, if the most you can get is 75mb wether 200, 500 or 1000 then I may as well stick with 20omb.

Also can you link to where people have discussed servers and NAS in relation to the Super hub? I have just brought one and need to know what I am letting myself into.:(

Jumping
09-04-2012, 18:51
The 1Gb speed on these are that they have a gigabit port at the moment 500mb is the best speed through the homeplugs.

gaz2810i
09-04-2012, 19:03
The 1Gb speed on these are that they have a gigabit port at the moment 500mb is the best speed through the homeplugs.

See this is where I am getting confused. I get some people saying the max is 75mbps and others saying 500mbps (on a 500). If all is well what is it better to have the 500 or 1gb on a 100meg tariff or is it not that much of an improvement and I am better off paying less and getting the 200mbps :confused:

Sorry guys are Homeplugs even worth it, or just the best of a bad situation.

General Maximus
09-04-2012, 19:10
I think they meant that regardless of what the advertised speed is (like the shub and other routers will say 300mbits wireless), realistically you are looking at 75mbits max due to environmental factors.

I was suggesting putting the shub in modem mode and attaching a proper router to it. By all try it with the shub and if it works great. Past experience tells me though that the shub cant handle stuff like this.

Jumping
09-04-2012, 19:36
On the newer homeplug 500mbit ones you can expect a max of 350mbit but it all depends on your internal wiring, also don't attach them through surge protectors as that will effect the performance.

I'm happy with my old TP-Link 200mbit plugs solved a wireless problem in my old house where I couldn't get enough strength to stream things properly from the pc to the ps3.

gaz2810i
09-04-2012, 19:40
I think they meant that regardless of what the advertised speed is (like the shub and other routers will say 300mbits wireless), realistically you are looking at 75mbits max due to environmental factors.

I was suggesting putting the shub in modem mode and attaching a proper router to it. By all try it with the shub and if it works great. Past experience tells me though that the shub cant handle stuff like this.

I'm planning on doing this any way in the next few weeks for wireless access. However, I have just brought a 12tb Media centre server, which I want to use as a network hub and stream to my Dune B1. This I will need to use Ethernet but i'm not convinced having it next to my Shub will be acceptable.

Jumping
09-04-2012, 19:50
I'm planning on doing this any way in the next few weeks for wireless access. However, I have just brought a 12tb Media centre server, which I want to use as a network hub and stream to my Dune B1. This I will need to use Ethernet but i'm not convinced having it next to my Shub will be acceptable.

The homeplugs should be able to help you there as they will provide a stable connection at it should be more than enough to stream HD stuff you should be able to get the "1gb" pair of plugs for around £35.

Best solution would be to have ethernet cable but if you want to go to another room and not start the hassle of drilling or lifting carpets the homeplugs is so easy to use and no work required to get it going.

gaz2810i
09-04-2012, 20:58
The homeplugs should be able to help you there as they will provide a stable connection at it should be more than enough to stream HD stuff you should be able to get the "1gb" pair of plugs for around £35.

Best solution would be to have ethernet cable but if you want to go to another room and not start the hassle of drilling or lifting carpets the homeplugs is so easy to use and no work required to get it going.

Thanks mate :) Can I ask where you have seen a pair of 1gb plugs for £35? the cheapest i've seen is £48

Jumping
09-04-2012, 21:10
Oops sorry the £35 was for the 200mbit version, seems to be a newer version than mine. £48 sounds quite cheap for the 500 plugs what make is that?

gaz2810i
09-04-2012, 21:39
Oops sorry the £35 was for the 200mbit version, seems to be a newer version than mine. £48 sounds quite cheap for the 500 plugs what make is that?

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-gig-pl-1000m.htm

Jumping
09-04-2012, 21:47
Looks good I would get a pair of them for that price its a bargain.