PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Login

thenry
05-04-2012, 16:13
anyone else had glitches while trying to log into the SH web interface? Its stalls sometimes with the web page loading and other times it comes up straight away. Theres no conflict with IPs,

modem mode - 192.168.100.1
my router - 192.168.1.1

Zee
05-04-2012, 16:31
i get that too sometimes, rebooting the SH always fixes the issue

buckleb
05-04-2012, 16:39
I get that too. I used to get it with the VMNG300 modem also.

Mick Fisher
05-04-2012, 21:28
Yep I had that too when I used it.

borrissey
05-04-2012, 23:39
Yeah I've noticed this, it happened with VMNG300 also.

craigj2k12
05-04-2012, 23:45
I noticed it in router mode but never a problem with modem mode nor the VMNG, strange. What routers are you using? maybe thats the issue?

borrissey
06-04-2012, 00:07
Linksys E2000

thenry
06-04-2012, 00:20
It happened in both combo and modem mode here. I've got a D Link 615 linked now. Could it be software firewall related or is it a bug within the SuperHub firmware?

Tim Deegan
06-04-2012, 00:58
How do you log into a SH?

craigj2k12
06-04-2012, 01:04
http://192.168.100.1

Tim Deegan
06-04-2012, 04:17
http://192.168.100.1

Mick Fisher
06-04-2012, 14:22
I only noticed it in router mode. Since going to modem mode using asus rt n16 with both stock and tomato usb firmwares I've never had a problem.

Mind you, once you get rid of the awful superhub router mode the nedessity to enter the superhub's HTML is greatly curtailed.

Tim Deegan
06-04-2012, 14:43
Can someone explain why some people have big problems with the Superhub in router mode?

I've never had a problem with it at all.

craigj2k12
06-04-2012, 14:58
dodgy firmware, seems to only be set off in certain conditions though

Tim Deegan
06-04-2012, 16:50
dodgy firmware, seems to only be set off in certain conditions though

I got my first superhub when I was on 50mb, and the engineer said that it wouldn't need to be changed to upgrade to 100mb. Then when I did upgrade they insisted on replacing the SH. When I asked why he said that there were problems with some of the earlier ones.

So I presume that people who are having problems are using the earlier models.

thenry
06-04-2012, 17:28
not true. mines revision3.

Tim Deegan
06-04-2012, 17:47
not true. mines revision3.

Hardware or software?

craigj2k12
06-04-2012, 17:49
all hardware are revision 2.0, the case design changed, to rev.03 we discussed this a while back, it was due to positioning of the antennae

Tim Deegan
06-04-2012, 18:04
all hardware are revision 2.0, the case design changed, to rev.03 we discussed this a while back, it was due to positioning of the antennae

So why haven't I had any problems at either my previous or current address, when other people do nothing but complain about it?

Could it be that people are expecting too much from a free router?

Mick Fisher
06-04-2012, 20:20
So why haven't I had any problems at either my previous or current address, when other people do nothing but complain about it?

Could it be that people are expecting too much from a free router?
I had to pay £30.00 for the privilege as did most other folks.

I am glad you are happy with your superhub. What I don't understand is your predeliction with subscribers who are not happy. I mean what's it to you? Why should you care?

I get the impression from your posts on the subject that you seem to think that because you think your superhub works properly anyone having issues with their is either lying or else is bemused.

You should realise that all is not equal on VM's network. It is a mish mash of networks that they acquired from other operators all cobbled together into one. The result is some areas work better than others because their infrastructure is better.

My experience over the last 10 to 15 years is that nothing cablewise works as it should at my address which is why I obtain my TV and Phone from other sources, so I was not surprised that the superhub for me was the worst router I have ever tried to use.

Nevertheless this does not give me any inclination to doubt the validity of those that profess to get good service form the device.

Tim Deegan
06-04-2012, 21:19
I had to pay £30.00 for the privilege as did most other folks.

I am glad you are happy with your superhub. What I don't understand is your predeliction with subscribers who are not happy. I mean what's it to you? Why should you care?

I get the impression from your posts on the subject that you seem to think that because you think your superhub works properly anyone having issues with their is either lying or else is bemused.

You should realise that all is not equal on VM's network. It is a mish mash of networks that they acquired from other operators all cobbled together into one. The result is some areas work better than others because their infrastructure is better.

My experience over the last 10 to 15 years is that nothing cablewise works as it should at my address which is why I obtain my TV and Phone from other sources, so I was not surprised that the superhub for me was the worst router I have ever tried to use.

Nevertheless this does not give me any inclination to doubt the validity of those that profess to get good service form the device.

Before you get all agressive, I was actually asking the question as to what the problem is with the SH. If it works fine for many people, then is it that people are expecting too much from it, or are there a lot of faulty ones about?

Why did you pay £30 for yours?

Why would I say mine works fine if it didn't??? :rolleyes:

craigj2k12
06-04-2012, 21:21
they are all faulty (buggy firmware), but only under certain conditions

Tim Deegan
06-04-2012, 23:02
they are all faulty (buggy firmware), but only under certain conditions

And what conditions are those?

borrissey
06-04-2012, 23:42
Super Hub is logging in fine today nice and quick :)

Martin_D
06-04-2012, 23:56
What does this mean? and the cable light goes out on the Modem

Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

craigj2k12
06-04-2012, 23:59
And what conditions are those?

too many to mention, wireless interference is a big one, but there seem to many other conditions, some not yet discovered as to why it does some of the strange things it does

Tim Deegan
07-04-2012, 00:31
too many to mention, wireless interference is a big one, but there seem to many other conditions, some not yet discovered as to why it does some of the strange things it does

You can change the settings to avoid interference.

Skie
07-04-2012, 00:52
How do you log into a SH?

You've had your Superhub for how long now and you only just found out how to do this today? This makes your defence of the thing a little strange. Or misguided.

craigj2k12
07-04-2012, 00:55
You can change the settings to avoid interference.

no you cant

Tim Deegan
07-04-2012, 01:07
You've had your Superhub for how long now and you only just found out how to do this today? This makes your defence of the thing a little strange. Or misguided.

To start with, who says I am defending it? I'm just asking what the big issue is, because I've never had any problems with it.

The reason I have never had to log into it is because I've never had any need to. Isn't that easy to work out? :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

no you cant

Yes you can, you can change the channel it used to avoid interference.

craigj2k12
07-04-2012, 02:22
Yes you can, you can change the channel it used to avoid interference.

Look at the attachment, that is Inssider running, not logging my own network, only others, theres interference on every channel, and thats only broadcasting wireless networks, that doesnt include:

- wireless phones
- bluetooth devices
- car alarms
- microwave ovens
- baby monitors
- FM video transmitters

as well as 101 other things which use the 2.4ghz spectrum

So with all this going on around me, the Superhub crashed/rebooted due to the memory leak in the firmware. It used to reboot at least 5 times a day in router mode, even though the 4 other routers I used managed to work fine

As I said, only certain conditions set it off

Tim Deegan
07-04-2012, 10:44
Look at the attachment, that is Inssider running, not logging my own network, only others, theres interference on every channel, and thats only broadcasting wireless networks, that doesnt include:

- wireless phones
- bluetooth devices
- car alarms
- microwave ovens
- baby monitors
- FM video transmitters

as well as 101 other things which use the 2.4ghz spectrum

So with all this going on around me, the Superhub crashed/rebooted due to the memory leak in the firmware. It used to reboot at least 5 times a day in router mode, even though the 4 other routers I used managed to work fine

As I said, only certain conditions set it off

In my house I have 6 cordless phones, and 5 mobiles with bluetooth. In fact the SH is within 18" of 2 cordless phones, 2 monitors, and my PC (which also has bluetooth. So why don't I get a problem.

You can switch the SH to 5ghz.

And what frequency do other routers run on?

Mick Fisher
07-04-2012, 14:10
In my house I have 6 cordless phones, and 5 mobiles with bluetooth. In fact the SH is within 18" of 2 cordless phones, 2 monitors, and my PC (which also has bluetooth. So why don't I get a problem.

I tried everything to get the superhub to work because desktop space is short and I find the modem/router combination attractive but only if it works and only if it was more flexible like allowing the dns servers and/or the gatewateway address to be changed for example.

Anyway in the course of my endeavours to stabilise the superhub I did try it at 5ghz/300mbps. I found this mode to offer the best performance of all BUT in spite of InSSider telling me I was the only one running 5gig locally my superhub STILL rebooted itself 5 to 10 times a day.

I have no more idea of why you don't get a problem than I have as to why I did get a problem, their are just too many factors involved.

As an example lets take my Daughter. She has BT and of course uses the HH3. She tells me she is quite happy with it. She has a PC wired to it and connects wirelessly with an iPOD touch, an iPAD, 2 x smartphones, a laptop and an internet radio BUT she only shares the internet connection through the HH3 and has no more idea of networking than I have of flying a Space Shuttle. She also lives in a small village which may also be a factor.

Tim Deegan
07-04-2012, 14:41
I tried everything to get the superhub to work because desktop space is short and I find the modem/router combination attractive but only if it works and only if it was more flexible like allowing the dns servers and/or the gatewateway address to be changed for example.

Anyway in the course of my endeavours to stabilise the superhub I did try it at 5ghz/300mbps. I found this mode to offer the best performance of all BUT in spite of InSSider telling me I was the only one running 5gig locally my superhub STILL rebooted itself 5 to 10 times a day.

I have no more idea of why you don't get a problem than I have as to why I did get a problem, their are just too many factors involved.

As an example lets take my Daughter. She has BT and of course uses the HH3. She tells me she is quite happy with it. She has a PC wired to it and connects wirelessly with an iPOD touch, an iPAD, 2 x smartphones, a laptop and an internet radio BUT she only shares the internet connection through the HH3 and has no more idea of networking than I have of flying a Space Shuttle. She also lives in a small village which may also be a factor.

Have you tried changing the channel it operates on?

I was talking to someone at VM, who said that he uses his SH in modem mode also. He said that the modem is good, and the router is fine for most people. But for people like himself (he does game testing) who demand a lot more than average, then the router isn't up to the job.

Now I run 2 laptops, 2 PS3's, and 4 phones through the wifi, and my PC is wired. This sounds like more than your daughter uses. So I'm wondering where the limit is for the SH.

Do you live near anything that gives out strong radio signals. And have you reported the problem to VM?

craigj2k12
07-04-2012, 16:38

Here you go, this is for you:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/04/62.jpg

Then none of the mobile phones or the wii will connect

Look at the attachment I gave you the info

philwhite100
07-04-2012, 16:48
I got my first superhub when I was on 50mb, and the engineer said that it wouldn't need to be changed to upgrade to 100mb. Then when I did upgrade they insisted on replacing the SH. When I asked why he said that there were problems with some of the earlier ones.

So I presume that people who are having problems are using the earlier models.

Can you please log in to your Superhub and tell us all what hardware version it is please, mine is v2.00

Peter_
07-04-2012, 16:53
Can you please log in to your Superhub and tell us all what hardware version it is please, mine is v2.00
They are all hardware revision 2 as no other version has ever been released up to now and as for different revision numbers on the actual body of the Superhub's that has been proved to be nothing as well as we have had photo's of 2 Superhub's on here with a mixture of REV 01, REV 02 and REV 03 parts.

We are still awaiting a new version but as yet the is no new one on the horizon.

Tim Deegan
07-04-2012, 17:05

Mine is the same.

Mick Fisher
07-04-2012, 19:24
Have you tried changing the channel it operates on?

Of course I have. Did you not read my post where I mention 5ghz at 300mbps. Don't you realise that the channels automatically change when you do that? I begin to wonder if you have any idea at all about this subject?

I was talking to someone at VM, who said that he uses his SH in modem mode also. He said that the modem is good, and the router is fine for most people. But for people like himself (he does game testing) who demand a lot more than average, then the router isn't up to the job.

So what did you expect a VM mouthpiece to say? Surely you didn't expect a disclosure to the effect that he uses it in modem mode because the router is not up to the job.

Now I run 2 laptops, 2 PS3's, and 4 phones through the wifi, and my PC is wired. This sounds like more than your daughter uses. So I'm wondering where the limit is for the SH.

Oh she's got wii, ps2 and xbox I'm just not sure if she goes online with them so I didn't mention them.

So do you network or just connection share like she does?

Do you live near anything that gives out strong radio signals.

You really are desparate to prove the superhub is a solid device aren't you. I really do not know or care about strong radio signals nearby as NO OTHER ROUTER I have used was ever affected. The rt n16 I am using at the moment has never fallen over, dropped the wireless or rebooted itself either on it's out of the box firmware or tomato firmware.

And have you reported the problem to VM?
You jest, surely :LOL:

As if I haven't got enough junk around without starting a superhub collection.

Tim Deegan
07-04-2012, 20:12
Of course I have. Did you not read my post where I mention 5ghz at 300mbps. Don't you realise that the channels automatically change when you do that? I begin to wonder if you have any idea at all about this subject?

So what did you expect a VM mouthpiece to say? Surely you didn't expect a disclosure to the effect that he uses it in modem mode because the router is not up to the job.

Oh she's got wii, ps2 and xbox I'm just not sure if she goes online with them so I didn't mention them.

So do you network or just connection share like she does?

You really are desparate to prove the superhub is a solid device aren't you. I really do not know or care about strong radio signals nearby as NO OTHER ROUTER I have used was ever affected. The rt n16 I am using at the moment has never fallen over, dropped the wireless or rebooted itself either on it's out of the box firmware or tomato firmware.

You jest, surely :LOL:

As if I haven't got enough junk around without starting a superhub collection.

I'm not going to bother with you any more, as you don't read my posts properly, and you twist what I say. I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm trying to find out why some people have no problems at all, yet others seem to have loads of problems. I was trying to help. So there is no need to be rude. :rolleyes:

By the way, I wasn't talking about the frequency or the speed. I was talking about the channel.

craigj2k12
08-04-2012, 01:32
I'm not going to bother with you any more, as you don't read my posts properly, and you twist what I say. I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm trying to find out why some people have no problems at all, yet others seem to have loads of problems. I was trying to help. So there is no need to be rude. :rolleyes:

By the way, I wasn't talking about the frequency or the speed. I was talking about the channel.

you havent really got a clue what your on about, you criticise other peoples correct posts despite yours being mostly garbage

and what are you talking about, you say your not talking about the frequency, but about the channel, despite channel being frequency

If you think the superhub is perfect and working then you are wrong, by a long margin. There are many many bugs

Mick Fisher
08-04-2012, 12:10
You really are a piece of work ain't you Tim.

[Mod Edit - inappropriate comment removed]. :LOL:

You should just make a mental note to not get involved in discussions on subjects you obviously know nothing about.

Oh by the way, welcome to my ignore list.

Tim Deegan
08-04-2012, 19:28
you havent really got a clue what your on about, you criticise other peoples correct posts despite yours being mostly garbage

and what are you talking about, you say your not talking about the frequency, but about the channel, despite channel being frequency

If you think the superhub is perfect and working then you are wrong, by a long margin. There are many many bugs

I will repeat yet again...my SH works absolutely fine. And all I am doing is trying to work out why some peoples don't work properly.

If it didn't work for anyone, then I would agree that it is completely useless, but that isn't the case. If yours doesn't work properly, then I should think that you have rights under SOGA. So you need to keep on at VM until they sort it.

But it seems that some people just can't accept that for most people it works fine, so there must be a problem with just some of them.

Hugh
08-04-2012, 19:36
Can I remind members that it is against Site T&Cs to discuss issuing / receiving reps in the open forum.

Link (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/103/33602472-the-reputation-system.html)

Members are not permitted to discuss reps received or given in threads, reputation is a private matter, not for public discussion.

craigj2k12
08-04-2012, 19:46
I will repeat yet again...my SH works absolutely fine. And all I am doing is trying to work out why some peoples don't work properly.

If yours works fine then get VM to take a copy of the firmware and use the same one on everyones superhub...... oh wait.... you do have the same bug ridden firmware as everyone else. If the superhub was bug free then why would VM invest so much time and money into releasing updates for it

If you really were trying to find out why it doesnt work properly, you could either listen to what people say on here, take in their opinions, not be so sarcastic and generally unpleasent, and use the info. Or conduct your own testing, and do us all a favour and not bother posting on here

If it didn't work for anyone, then I would agree that it is completely useless, but that isn't the case. If yours doesn't work properly, then I should think that you have rights under SOGA. So you need to keep on at VM until they sort it.

Ill repeat, every superhub has the same bug ridden firmware, whether you use the buggy functions or not is irrelevant, the bugs still exist. And I do keep on at VM, mostly on the forums

But it seems that some people just can't accept that for most people it works fine, so there must be a problem with just some of them.

where do you get this data from? Have you done a survey of every VM customer with a superhub? with 100% response rate? no, no-one has. And as they are exactly the same hardware and firmware on every device the firmware bugs are going to be there on every device, as I mentioned earlier, most of them are only set off in certain conditions

Tim Deegan
08-04-2012, 20:23
If yours works fine then get VM to take a copy of the firmware and use the same one on everyones superhub...... oh wait.... you do have the same bug ridden firmware as everyone else. If the superhub was bug free then why would VM invest so much time and money into releasing updates for it

Mine works fine, but yours doesn't. They have the same update installed. So this would lead anyone using common sense to realise that there are one of three problems:

The power levels that keep being mentioned (mine are all about 5), but I have seen it mentioned many times that the SH doesn't like power levels above 10.
Your SH has a fault.
The settings are wrong
There is interference in your local area

Whatever the cause it is up to VM to sort it out, otherwise it is unfit for purpose.

If you really were trying to find out why it doesnt work properly, you could either listen to what people say on here, take in their opinions, not be so sarcastic and generally unpleasent, and use the info. Or conduct your own testing, and do us all a favour and not bother posting on here

I have listened to what people say. But when I ask someone if they have tried different channels, and the answer they give doesn't even mention the channels, then that is their fault for not reading my post properly, not mine.

Ill repeat, every superhub has the same bug ridden firmware, whether you use the buggy functions or not is irrelevant, the bugs still exist. And I do keep on at VM, mostly on the forums

And you should keep on pestering them until they sort the problem out. Personally I would suggest phone calls, letters, and involving OFCOM, rather than forums.

where do you get this data from? Have you done a survey of every VM customer with a superhub? with 100% response rate? no, no-one has. And as they are exactly the same hardware and firmware on every device the firmware bugs are going to be there on every device, as I mentioned earlier, most of them are only set off in certain conditions

No I haven't, but neither have you!

I do have many friends who have SH's, and not one of them seems to have a problem. So this would lead anyone to believe that most people don't experience a problem.

Now I am trying to look at this problem from a different perspective than those who are experiencing problems. And I am looking at it with a more balanced point of view than that of someone who is getting really stressed out by the issue.

It seems that many people are just accepting that there is a problem, and they are just switching to modem mode, and then have to go to the expense of buying a router. And by doing this people are playing right into VM's hands. What people should be doing is complaining to VM until they get the matter sorted. And also involving OFCOM, and even Watchdog. If the pressure isn't put on VM, then they won't make it a priority. But if they are forced to pay for peoples routers, then they will.

craigj2k12
08-04-2012, 20:44
Mine works fine, but yours doesn't. They have the same update installed. So this would lead anyone using common sense to realise that there are one of three problems:

The power levels that keep being mentioned (mine are all about 5), but I have seen it mentioned many times that the SH doesn't like power levels above 10.
Your SH has a fault.
The settings are wrong

Whatever the cause it is up to VM to sort it out, otherwise it is unfit for purpose.

My power levels and SNR are perfect
As I mentioned, every superhub has a fault, whether you notice it or not depends on where you are, whats around you, what devices are connected to it, what services you use, etc, etc, etc
I would be curious as to what "settings" I have wrong
There is interference everywhere, in my area, there must be more than others, but even so, every other router I have tested manages, why cant the superhub?

And VM cant 'sort out' interference, they can work with netgear to sort out the firmware out though

And by the way, thats 3 bullet points, seems your maths skills are as good as your networking ones

I have listened to what people say. But when I ask someone if they have tried different channels, and the answer they give doesn't even mention the channels, then that is their fault for not reading my post properly, not mine.

I showed you a screenshot of Inssider which showed other routers were using every 2.4ghz channel available, strange how other routers manage on any channel despite this, and the superhub flops

And you should keep on pestering them until they sort the problem out. Personally I would suggest phone calls, letters, and involving OFCOM, rather than forums.

Didnt bother with ofcom, escalated it to the CEO office and got a VMNG300

No I haven't, but neither have you!

I do have many friends who have SH's, and not one of them seems to have a problem. So this would lead anyone to believe that most people don't experience a problem.

Your right, I havent, but im not the one making claims like "most superhubs work perfectly"

and im surprised you have friends, especially ones without problems, mind you, having you as a friend is probably classified as a problem :D

Now I am trying to look at this problem from a different perspective than those who are experiencing problems. And I am looking at it with a more balanced point of view than that of someone who is getting really stressed out by the issue.

I agree you should be getting so stressed

It seems that many people are just accepting that there is a problem, and they are just switching to modem mode, and then have to go to the expense of buying a router. And by doing this people are playing right into VM's hands. What people should be doing is complaining to VM until they get the matter sorted. And also involving OFCOM, and even Watchdog. If the pressure isn't put on VM, then they won't make it a priority. But if they are forced to pay for peoples routers, then they will.

yes, many people are accepting there is a problem, that is, apart from you, your superhub is the extra-super-special-hub that wipes your backside for you

And how is buying a router falling into VMs hands, Im not buying a router from VM, my money went to Asus, and it was £70 well spent

If you think VM are going to buy every customer a router then you are mistaken, the CEO office knocked £30 off my bill when they gave me the VMNG to cover the cost of a router I consider that to be a nice gesture seeing as I was going to buy myself a router anyway

Daveoc64
08-04-2012, 21:21

Your SH has a fault.
The settings are wrong

Two things:

1) Isn't that FOUR things not THREE? So much for "common sense"...

2) You don't realise that software can behave differently in different scenarios and configurations. Have you never had a program crash (something like a web browser or Windows) when you do a task that you've carried out hundreds of times before?

The Superhub offers many, many possible ways to configure and use it. Likewise, the cable network itself has a similar range of configurations to offer. I don't experience any wireless problems with the Superhub anymore - that's probably because I stopped using the wireless on it!

Peter_
08-04-2012, 21:26
That will never happen as Virgin Media will never buy a customer a wireless router just because they dislike the Superhub wireless and want to use modem mode, if customers want to use their own router then they would be better off buying a device of their own choice rather than the cheapest device that Virgin Media would supply if forced into such a daft scheme.

Remember prior to Virgin media bringing out the Hub's customers in the main were expected to buy there own routers if they decided to go wireless and the were a couple of schemes were Virgin Media supplied firstly the Netgear WGR614 G router and after they released 50Mb they offered the D Link DIR615 neither router exactly highend equipment.

Those devices were adequate for the average user but many people wanted to pay for much better equipment so supplied their own.

So do you think that for one second that Virgin Media are going to commit commercial suicide and offer to purchase a router of your choosing if you believe that then you must be smoking something rather strange and illegal.

Tim Deegan
08-04-2012, 22:15
My power levels and SNR are perfect
As I mentioned, every superhub has a fault, whether you notice it or not depends on where you are, whats around you, what devices are connected to it, what services you use, etc, etc, etc
I would be curious as to what "settings" I have wrong
There is interference everywhere, in my area, there must be more than others, but even so, every other router I have tested manages, why cant the superhub?

And VM cant 'sort out' interference, they can work with netgear to sort out the firmware out though

And by the way, thats 3 bullet points, seems your maths skills are as good as your networking ones

I showed you a screenshot of Inssider which showed other routers were using every 2.4ghz channel available, strange how other routers manage on any channel despite this, and the superhub flops

Didnt bother with ofcom, escalated it to the CEO office and got a VMNG300

Your right, I havent, but im not the one making claims like "most superhubs work perfectly"

and im surprised you have friends, especially ones without problems, mind you, having you as a friend is probably classified as a problem :D

I agree you should be getting so stressed

yes, many people are accepting there is a problem, that is, apart from you, your superhub is the extra-super-special-hub that wipes your backside for you

And how is buying a router falling into VMs hands, Im not buying a router from VM, my money went to Asus, and it was £70 well spent

If you think VM are going to buy every customer a router then you are mistaken, the CEO office knocked £30 off my bill when they gave me the VMNG to cover the cost of a router I consider that to be a nice gesture seeing as I was going to buy myself a router anyway

I must say that you are extremely rude and arrogant to someone who is only trying to help. :rolleyes:

You may know more than me about networking, but I probably know more than you about consumer rights, and the way to get problems with a product sorted out. You say that you have sorted out your problem by escalating it to the CEO's office. Well that hasn't sorted it out for many other people who may have a similar problem. And quite frankly it is a very selfish solution. If you hand all the other people who are experiencing problems with the SH, took the problem to OFCOM, or Trading Standards, then VM would be forced to sort the problem out. If as you say, other routers don't have a problem, then VM obviously aren't giving it priority.

If your problem has been sorted, why are you still whinging? And why is your head burried in the sand, and can't accept that many other people aren't experiencing problems. And why do you resort to throwing insults at anyone who says they aren't experiencing a problem?

If you think I am a secret plant from VM, then you can think again. I'm been jumped on by VM lovers many times for daring to criticise them, as you will see if you read some of my early posts.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Two things:

1) Isn't that FOUR things not THREE? So much for "common sense"...

Sorry about that, I added the 4th as an afterthought.

2) You don't realise that software can behave differently in different scenarios and configurations. Have you never had a program crash (something like a web browser or Windows) when you do a task that you've carried out hundreds of times before?

Yes I do realise that. But if you read my posts I'm not trying to say there isn't a problem. I'm trying to find out what the problem is from a consumer rights point of view. But all I am getting is extremely rude people who think I'm defending the SH.

The Superhub offers many, many possible ways to configure and use it. Likewise, the cable network itself has a similar range of configurations to offer. I don't experience any wireless problems with the Superhub anymore - that's probably because I stopped using the wireless on it!

And you shouldn't need to stop using the wireless. It should be up to VM to sort the problem. Why should you have to go to the expense of buying a router because they won't sort the problem?

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

That will never happen as Virgin Media will never buy a customer a wireless router just because they dislike the Superhub wireless and want to use modem mode, if customers want to use their own router then they would be better off buying a device of their own choice rather than the cheapest device that Virgin Media would supply if forced into such a daft scheme.

Remember prior to Virgin media bringing out the Hub's customers in the main were expected to buy there own routers if they decided to go wireless and the were a couple of schemes were Virgin Media supplied firstly the Netgear WGR614 G router and after they released 50Mb they offered the D Link DIR615 neither router exactly highend equipment.

Those devices were adequate for the average user but many people wanted to pay for much better equipment so supplied their own.

So do you think that for one second that Virgin Media are going to commit commercial suicide and offer to purchase a router of your choosing if you believe that then you must be smoking something rather strange and illegal.

I'm looking at this from a consumer law angle. If VM supply a combined modem/router that doesn't work, then it isn't fit for purpose. And they can be forced to either solve the problem, or find an alternative. This is why I have been trying to find out exactly what the problem is, and how many people experience this problem. As I have said, I don't have a problem, and neither does anyone else I know. Which is why I was wondering if people are expecting too much from what is obviously a low end product.

craigj2k12
08-04-2012, 22:28
I must say that you are extremely rude and arrogant to someone who is only trying to help. :rolleyes:

I have a habit of retaliating to such ignorance, for which I apologise

You may know more than me about networking, but I probably know more than you about consumer rights, and the way to get problems with a product sorted out. You say that you have sorted out your problem by escalating it to the CEO's office. Well that hasn't sorted it out for many other people who may have a similar problem. And quite frankly it is a very selfish solution. If you hand all the other people who are experiencing problems with the SH, took the problem to OFCOM, or Trading Standards, then VM would be forced to sort the problem out. If as you say, other routers don't have a problem, then VM obviously aren't giving it priority.

Im failing to see how its a selfish solution, I complained to my ISP about a problem related to my ISP and got my problem sorted, seems like good service to me :confused:

If your problem has been sorted, why are you still whinging? And why is your head burried in the sand, and can't accept that many other people aren't experiencing problems. And why do you resort to throwing insults at anyone who says they aren't experiencing a problem?

Who said I had a problem, the only things with a problem here are you and the superhub, the fact is that I am currently using the superhub and would like it to perform better, which it is capable of with a firmware update, mine running in modem mode so the only problem im getting is the increased ping and jitter, which I have complained about here
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-broadband/Future-Firmware-Update-To-Cure-SuperHubs-Modem/td-p/1085487

If you think I am a secret plant from VM, then you can think again. I'm been jumped on by VM lovers many times for daring to criticise them, as you will see if you read some of my early posts.

Nope, I dont suspect VM of having a forum troll department

I'm looking at this from a consumer law angle. If VM supply a combined modem/router that doesn't work, then it isn't fit for purpose. And they can be forced to either solve the problem, or find an alternative. This is why I have been trying to find out exactly what the problem is, and how many people experience this problem. As I have said, I don't have a problem, and neither does anyone else I know. Which is why I was wondering if people are expecting too much from what is obviously a low end product.

VM have acknowledged a fault and are working on a fix, that will satisfy ofcom alone, never mind the fact that theres a 'working' modem mode to use. You must also understand no-one is expecting too much, besides a fully working device

Peter_
09-04-2012, 08:53
I know what angle you are using but they have provided kit that works for the majority and also allowed modem mode to allow use of 3rd party equipment so they will not have to fund anyones purchase of a router as it would be as I mentioned above commercial suicide to instigate such a program.

All bases are covered to prevent something like this ever happening.

Tim Deegan
09-04-2012, 19:29
I know what angle you are using but they have provided kit that works for the majority and also allowed modem mode to allow use of 3rd party equipment so they will not have to fund anyones purchase of a router as it would be as I mentioned above commercial suicide to instigate such a program.

All bases are covered to prevent something like this ever happening.

I know what you are saying. And you are right as long as it is only the minority of people who are having problems. Or if those who are experiencing problems aren't expecting too much of the system. In which case VM could be forced the problem out one way or another. This is why I've been trying to find out how many people are experiencing problems. But it seems that some people just won't accept that it doesn't affect everyone.

Peter_
09-04-2012, 19:55
I know what you are saying. And you are right as long as it is only the minority of people who are having problems. Or if those who are experiencing problems aren't expecting too much of the system. In which case VM could be forced the problem out one way or another. This is why I've been trying to find out how many people are experiencing problems. But it seems that some people just won't accept that it doesn't affect everyone.
Very few people have issues and those that do tend to buy their own routers.

Tim Deegan
09-04-2012, 20:08
Very few people have issues and those that do tend to buy their own routers.

I understand that you work for VM?

If so, I don't suppose you could give us figures?

Peter_
09-04-2012, 20:19
I understand that you work for VM?

If so, I don't suppose you could give us figures?
Used to work for them now working for one of our largest banks.

craigj2k12
09-04-2012, 20:19
he was made redundant a while back, but even then he didnt get access to that kind of data

Peter_
09-04-2012, 20:21
he was made redundant a while back, but even then he didnt get access to that kind of data
I chose to leave early and that is confidential information, but in the main most people had little issue with the device with the exception of hardened users such as yourself.

Tim Deegan
09-04-2012, 20:23
Used to work for them now working for one of our largest banks.

Oh I see.

Did you deal with customers enough to get a rough idea of the sort of percentage of customers with problems?

craigj2k12
09-04-2012, 20:24
I chose to leave early and that is confidential information, but in the main most people had little issue with the device with the exception of hardened users such as yourself.

Sorry, i know its confidential but you did post a lot of info about it so i didnt think you were bothered.

And I still agree to disagree about the superhub

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

Oh I see.

Did you deal with customers enough to get a rough idea of the sort of percentage of customers with problems?

no he didnt

Tim Deegan
09-04-2012, 20:25

So in your opinion as someone who would know, would you say most of the problems were with people who expected too much from a low end modem/router, as I suspected?

craigj2k12
09-04-2012, 20:28
if a "cheap end" router is designed to have memory leaks and non working features then yes

Peter_
09-04-2012, 20:30
So in your opinion as someone who would know, would you say most of the problems were with people who expected too much from a low end modem/router, as I suspected?
I had no issues in router mode when I received mine last February and 6 months later went to modem mode using my own Edimax N router, both devices reached my back garden from my front bedroom but I am still using the Edimax.

It is down to the kind of performance you want from a router, they should have just bought quality Cisco and Motorola modems straight of the shelf and let customers supply their own wireless routers if they required wifi.

borrissey
09-04-2012, 20:52
I had a SuperHub installed on Thursday, I've had no problems with it so far. I've got it in modem only modem with Linksys E2000 Router.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2729/img0656yul.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/img0656yul.jpg/)

Tim Deegan
09-04-2012, 22:41
I had no issues in router mode when I received mine last February and 6 months later went to modem mode using my own Edimax N router, both devices reached my back garden from my front bedroom but I am still using the Edimax.

It is down to the kind of performance you want from a router, they should have just bought quality Cisco and Motorola modems straight of the shelf and let customers supply their own wireless routers if they required wifi.

I don't have any problems either. It looks like a case of VM trying to provide a better service for the majority of users. But there will always be people who have to moan because it doesn't reach their high standards.

Daveoc64
10-04-2012, 04:12
I don't have any problems either. It looks like a case of VM trying to provide a better service for the majority of users. But there will always be people who have to moan because it doesn't reach their high standards.

Virgin Media doesn't exactly push their broadband as a budget or "no frills" option.

-It's one of the most expensive consumer broadband products (if not THE most expensive) in the country
-They made some customers pay for a Superhub, when they don't even own it
-Claims such as "The best wireless broadband performance available", "Fantastic range, so you can work further away from your router" and "unbeatable wireless"

If anyone is to blame for "high standards" (perhaps that should be "high expectations"), it's the claims that Virgin Media makes about its "hero product".

ISP-provided routers aren't usually great, but other ISPs don't make as much fuss about them.

Tim Deegan
10-04-2012, 10:03
Virgin Media doesn't exactly push their broadband as a budget or "no frills" option.

-It's one of the most expensive consumer broadband products (if not THE most expensive) in the country
-They made some customers pay for a Superhub, when they don't even own it
-Claims such as "The best wireless broadband performance available", "Fantastic range, so you can work further away from your router" and "unbeatable wireless"

If anyone is to blame for "high standards" (perhaps that should be "high expectations"), it's the claims that Virgin Media makes about its "hero product".

ISP-provided routers aren't usually great, but other ISPs don't make as much fuss about them.

I'm not defending them for their marketing at all. In fact I have a website where I campaign against retailers who use exaggeration, hype, gimmicks and even lies in their marketing.

The fact is that if you want the best product, then you pay a high price. And never expect to get a top product as part of a package, unless you have paid to upgrade. If you have paid for the Tivo, and it doesn't do what it is supposed to do, then you have a case against VM on the grounds of SOGA

Kymmy
10-04-2012, 10:31
Mine works fine on 2.4ghz 300mbp.. but apart from a kindle, an old G laptop and a single PC on a USB N adaptor (all within 20ft of the hub) I'm not exactly pushing it. I can understand though that it is poor range and also pushing the hub that makes it fall to pieces..

Great for simple work but if you want to push it then modem mode is the way to go

Dash: CF noob
25-05-2012, 00:23
My mate has a small black modem on 10meg i know i can log in locally but can i do it from the internet??

thenry
25-05-2012, 01:23
you could via logmein free, remote desktop.

horseman
25-05-2012, 08:43
you could via logmein free, remote desktop.

…or cross platform TeamViewer (free for non-commercial).

qasdfdsaq
25-05-2012, 10:10
Or VNC (free for everything)