PDA

View Full Version : Traffic managed on 20meg download?

raging bull
01-04-2012, 20:34
Just done an update of Adobe Reader, found my regular 10meg download reduced to 2.3meg.
Speaking to Virgin they advised I had been traffic managed, but unable to tell me what 'amount' of data I had downloaded.
Any suggestions on what could have caused this condition to happen.
I work all day, leaving my wife at home with her laptop (facebook user).
She has not downloaded anything (doesn't know how to.

Chrysalis
01-04-2012, 21:10
so on the 2mbit service you normally have 10mbit speeds?
you dropped to 2.3mbit?

a few point here.

10mbit isnt max speed anyway.
STM wouldnt drop you to 2.3mbit, although if its 2.4mbyte thats about 20mbit anyway.

a single download isnt representative of your overall performance.

--edit--

ok I think you meant you on the 10mbit service and a 20meg sized download was at 2.3mbit/sec. Which is around the STM level for the 10mbit service.

So the 2 comments on that would be.

a - any activity is downloading unless its specifically uploading, so even browsing this site uses download bandwidth.
b - as above that single download was not necessarily your performance level.

raging bull
01-04-2012, 21:23
I am quite aware of the limits before STM kicks in.
What I was complaining about was that soon after doing the update on Adobe Reader, the traffic management system reduced my 10meg (9.7meg actual) to 2.3 or was it 2.4Meg still with the 1meg (.85meg actual) upload.
Nowhere has the download been excessive, just viewing facebook (my wife).
Myself been grafting all day, since 09.30 (work in retail) and not used computer at all.

Jelly
01-04-2012, 21:54
there's all manner of things that update in the background that would put you over the limit, and they could easily happen without your wife noticing

babis3g
01-04-2012, 22:26
dont forget maybe a windows update took place or maybe the antivirus or an other program like the adobe had an update at the background ...or... even at face book sometime people post links from youtube videos or other places...by clicking that it use some band-witch...

aslo bear in mind surfing the web or facebook it still uses some band-witch so if 2 pc surfing most of the day even with normal pages that uses an important band-witch as well compare with any of the above updates or viewing even small you tube videos