PDA

View Full Version : 100M Residential account at business address

Bigwull
30-03-2012, 20:21
Hi all

Have been searching around but cant seem to find an answer to this anywhere, hopefully some will know :)

I'm looking to transfer my residential account to my business address. I'm moving out of a virgin cable area so can't keep service at my home.

The business address does not have service from Virgin although they have confirmed it is serviceable. It already has Internet connection for the business use with BT. The virgin connection would not be for business use it's so that I can download stuff, watch films etc at the office (this is not allowed over the office connection)

Virgin have said that it's showing as a business address on their system and they would need to check if they can alter this as it may cause an issue.
Been waiting for them to get back in touch for a few days.

Do you think it'll be possible to do this?

Many thanks

Will

General Maximus
31-03-2012, 07:51
I wouldnt have thought so dude. Despite your assertions, I think they will be worried about the fact that it is going in to a business address and that it is going to be hammered. Although I havent heard of it before, I am sure tonnes of people must try it as a scam so there is probably some golden rule at VM which says under no circumstances can they do it.

Kymmy
31-03-2012, 09:37
Due to the fact that they won't transfer a business number to a residential account I doubt if they'd go this route.. Especially as they have Virgin Media Business.. But there is now some strange rule about not servicing a business address unless it is already cabled???

Bigwull
31-03-2012, 12:54
Thanks for the responses

Yea I wondered, but had read posts about people getting business accounts at home address so thought it might work the other way, but none of those are recent ;(

I suppose I can always try and get business service, but I'm not sure if they would install because of this new rule, and that office has never had service itself, although in the corridor just outside the office there is a Telewest distribution box with coax, and other companies in the building have service.
I also think the business service is slower (still 50/5 isn't it?)

Kymmy
31-03-2012, 13:09
You can still get a business account at a home address as lots of people run businesses from home.. but I've never really heard of anyone living at their business premises..

I suppose if you can prove that you live there (which I don;t think you do) and also that there's already cabling to that premises though not installed (which you haven't said if there is) then you might have some success

Sephiroth
31-03-2012, 22:25
VM should allow this. They aren't the Thought Police and a customer should be able to put up a domestic service at any serviceable address.

In my work, I've ordered BT Home ADSL at many a business location - and that for business use, btw, there being no secret kept from BT that this circuit is needed for business purposes.

Kymmy
31-03-2012, 22:29
Except in their Terms & Conditions they do specify

D Using the services

1. You are responsible for the way the services are used. You must not use the services to do any of the following acts in relation to the following services:
h. Use any services (including, but not limited to, phone services) for commercial or business purposes;

Would be hard to justify that an internet connection on business premises (not residential) was being used for anything but business..

Sephiroth
01-04-2012, 00:07
It's a stupid restriction.

craigj2k12
01-04-2012, 03:11
well in a modern day business, the internet is used widely, from email, to websites, etc etc the internet connection is a good source of income, the business service is going to cost more than the residential because its indirectly being used to make money, the same reason landlords dont allow subletting of properties

Kymmy
01-04-2012, 08:49
It's a stupid restriction.

Not when you have a business side to VM...

It is though stupid that you can't get cable unless you've had cable at vmb

Sephiroth
01-04-2012, 10:22
Not when you have a business side to VM...

It is though stupid that you can't get cable unless you've had cable at vmb

The business service is needed by those who require an SLA. Those who don't need an SLA should be able to contract any of VM's cable services.

Let's turn this on its head. So VM won't allow a residential service to be installed at a business premises. But they'll allow a business service to be installed at a residential address. And, no doubt, both a residential service and a business service at the same addreess.

VM seem to me to be quite stupis and unreasonable in the context of this question as presented.

Kymmy
01-04-2012, 10:32
Let's turn this on its head. So VM won't allow a residential service to be installed at a business premises. But they'll allow a business service to be installed at a residential address. And, no doubt, both a residential service and a business service at the same addreess.

As I said a few posts back

You can still get a business account at a home address as lots of people run businesses from home.. but I've never really heard of anyone living at their business premises..

I suppose if you can prove that you live there (which I don;t think you do) and also that there's already cabling to that premises though not installed (which you haven't said if there is) then you might have some success

Sephiroth
01-04-2012, 10:47
Sure - but you said that in a different context. My context is critical of VM's attitude. Living in business premises is nothing to do with the argument.

Kymmy
01-04-2012, 11:32
Please don't get me wrong I am agreeing with you.. Just that there's very few businesses being used as residential properties instead of residential properties being used as businesses.. Along with their T&C's you can see why VM would say no..

It'll be interesting to see what VM do actually say when/if bigwull approaches them

Milambar
01-04-2012, 13:33
but I've never really heard of anyone living at their business premises..

Sorry, but virtually every shop around where I live, with the exception of the Coop, has the shop owner and their families living directly above it. Technically they are living in their business premesies.

Note that these are not houses converted to shops, but shops specifically built as shops, with living acoomodation above them, and seems to be quite a common practice here.

Peter_
01-04-2012, 13:48
Sorry, but virtually every shop around where I live, with the exception of the Coop, has the shop owner and their families living directly above it. Technically they are living in their business premesies.

Note that these are not houses converted to shops, but shops specifically built as shops, with living acoomodation above them, and seems to be quite a common practice here.
That is quite different to a building that is legally designated as for business use only with no living quarters anywhere on the premises in these cases the is no option except to have a business account as the business will not be listed on the residential database.

A standalone business premises cannot use a residential service as it would be in breach of the Terms and Conditions of the contract with Virgin Media and the should be no exceptions, as otherwise companies would be extracting the urine trying to have multiple users squeezing every bit of bandwidth in the area, can you imagine the overutilisation issues that it would result in so consider that before saying it is unfair.

Sephiroth
01-04-2012, 14:17
As I said, stupid restriction/ contract term.

Peter_
01-04-2012, 15:51
As I said, stupid restriction/ contract term.
Not really if you want a connection in a business premises for business use you must have a business account, I see no issue there whatsoever.

Would you really want a person on a residential account sucking the life out of your connection because they have multiple users on the one connection.

Business account are their for a reason to try and prevent this, plus if your business is not listed as a residential account be it on Virgin Media or BT then the is no other option.

If a business wants a connection it has to pay for the privilege and it should not be able to get a residential account in order for them to try and cut their overheads because they are able to claim back the VAT and many more business costs.

Bigwull
01-04-2012, 16:16
The business already has Internet connection for business use, however there are restrictions in place and bandwidth caps so I couldn't use that for say streaming tv etc, so moving a residential account over seemed te best plan. Not to mention that the residential service is quicker, and doesn't have the obscure rules about not installing unless that premises has had cable before (there is a distribution point literally other side of the wall to our comms equipment, but the office itself has never had cable)

Hopefully the lady will call back and let me know one way or the other on Monday, I think she was from some sort of local provisioning team or something as she seemed to know the area (Dundee)

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll let you know how it goes

Sephiroth
01-04-2012, 16:59
Not really if you want a connection in a business premises for business use you must have a business account, I see no issue there whatsoever.

Would you really want a person on a residential account sucking the life out of your connection because they have multiple users on the one connection.

Business account are their for a reason to try and prevent this, plus if your business is not listed as a residential account be it on Virgin Media or BT then the is no other option.

If a business wants a connection it has to pay for the privilege and it should not be able to get a residential account in order for them to try and cut their overheads because they are able to claim back the VAT and many more business costs.

That shouldn't be for Vm to decide. The business account carries an SLA and that isk the principle difference (apart from th SH mm nonsense). As for "sucking the life" out of the business connection,QOS Sould take care of that & if it doesn't VM should be taking care of that.

It's high handed.

ccarmock
01-04-2012, 18:12
You can still get a business account at a home address as lots of people run businesses from home..

You can - but if you want business broadband you can now only have it via cable if that cable has already been run in. They will not pull in a VM cable just for business services any longer. Seems a mad decision to me, hut that's how it is.

I guess a way round it is to order a residential service first and then order business broadbandbut....

There is a silly situation here- they won't let you order residential cable service at a business address - you have to use the business broadband service, except they won't install that unless there has already been a cable service there. Catch 22 - This is one screwed up company!

Peter_
01-04-2012, 19:41
That shouldn't be for Vm to decide. The business account carries an SLA and that isk the principle difference (apart from th SH mm nonsense). As for "sucking the life" out of the business connection,QOS Sould take care of that & if it doesn't VM should be taking care of that.

It's high handed.
They are business and if you have business premises then you must get a business account, I doubt many businesses are able to be connected to the residential network anyway due to their location so in reality a non argument.

Bigwull
01-04-2012, 20:09
I thought it was the same network for business and residential?

Milambar
01-04-2012, 20:40

I thought so too, and there are lots of past posts also saying its the same network, and that the only difference is the SLA.

Peter_
01-04-2012, 20:47
The average business is not going to be anywhere near a residential area though unless you are a shop or work from home, if you are working from home you are breaching your residential terms and conditions and are also unable to complain about any issue causing you loss of income, business accounts are in place for a reason.

ccarmock
01-04-2012, 21:15

It is - I have the business services and am connected to the same green cabinet in the street as the residential services. When the area is suffering congestion it's at off peak business times. The SLA is different though, and seems to help.

I recently was suffering from almost unusable service in the evenings/weekends and managed to get a node split to happen inside a week. That coudl take months otherwise.