PDA

View Full Version : General STM strangeness

Chris Edwards
30-03-2012, 16:12
My reading of the traffic management table (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/faster_upload_traffic_management_table.php) (is that the current page?) is that there's no download limit between 3-4pm, for customers on 'L'.

However, recently I've been STM'd a few times whilst downloading between 3-4pm. Any ideas why ?

Wondering if maybe something somewhere is still in GMT, and hasn't caught up with summertime yet ??

Note that on the days in question, I've downloaded a bit during the earlier daytime management window. But not enough to hit the limit. It's downloading more during the free 3-4pm period that seems to trigger it.

Thanks for any clue :)

Sigma
30-03-2012, 16:20
I reported this on the 5th of February on VM's forum. On the 23rd of February I received a reply saying it had been "escalated to the relevant team", then on March 5th there was another reply saying "we're still investigating", then on March 8th another to say "we believe it's resolved", yet it is still not resolved. Other users also said that they have experienced the same thing.

Chris Edwards
30-03-2012, 16:36
Thanks for that.

I guess happening in Feb means it's unlikely to be due to summer timezone changing fallout.

broadbandking
30-03-2012, 17:42
Thanks for that.

I guess happening in Feb means it's unlikely to be due to summer timezone changing fallout.

This did happen a while ago when the triggers didn't take in to account the clocking going forward, are you sure your not uploading too much as the upload STM window starts at 3:00pm.

Chris Edwards
30-03-2012, 17:54
Sorry - should have said - I've only used trivial amounts of upload bandwidth. A tiny fraction of the trigger levels for up.

The down usage would however have been enough to trigger STM, if it all occurred before 3pm (which it didn't).

Will get some actual figures / timestamps at some point. But right now it's beer'o'clock!

Ta

Mick Fisher
30-03-2012, 22:17
This has happened to me several times.

I reported it on the help and support forum and never even got a reply.

Support on VM is a myth IMHO.

Seems posting in the help and support forum is as big a waste of time as phoning India. :(

Chris Edwards
14-07-2012, 18:02
Right then, just been STM'd again, despite not having reached anywhere near the published thresholds. Unless that, is they count download volume between 3pm-4pm (which is supposed to be unmetered) :(

Note - I have no problem with having an STM policy, as long as what's published matches the reality. Can anyone let me know what the real STM times / thresholds are, and what the deal is between 3pm-4pm ??

Details: I'm on "large" 10M, which as I understand it means I can download 1500MB between 4-9pm. It's now 6pm, and since 4pm I've downloaded 655MB (which is well under 1500MB), and the STM has just now kicked in. How come?

Is it (as I suspect) because between 3-4pm I downloaded 895MB, so total since 3pm is 1550MB, which is over the limit *IF* 3-4pm is metered.

Full traffic stats for today:

AM Down (10:00-15:00) 358 / 3000 MB ended ok

3-4 Down (15:00-16:00) 895 MB ended ok

PM Down (16:00-21:00) 655 / 1500 MB ongoing ok

PM Up (15:00-20:00) 241 / 1500 MB ongoing ok

kwikbreaks
14-07-2012, 18:55
When I was on L I found that I could download just as much as I wanted up to 15:00 without the STM kicking in then as you have discovered 15:00 is the real start of the evening STM. This is an even older STM thread than the one I started saying this and doubtless there are plenty of others reporting similar too.

Taf
14-07-2012, 19:44
STM is not the only way they slow your traffic. My 30Mb connection drops to around 50kb when the bandwidth for usenet gets crippled.