PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Bandwidth allocation with Superhub

bbrown1664
30-03-2012, 10:42
I am due to get my 60Mb upgrade today along with a new router which I am guessing will be the Superhub.

To ****** my kids off a bit, can I throttle the bandwidth based on MAC address using this hub or do I need to find another way of preventing them from nicking all my bandwidth? ;)

Jumping
30-03-2012, 11:19
I'm not sure if the superhub has that option and even if it did the router part of it isnt the best/stable thing in teh world. I would recommend you to buy yourself a seperate router. Most have mac based QOS or other options to limit bandwidth for your kids.

I can recommend the TP-LINK TL-WR1043nd which is only £42.40 at amazon with free delivery options too http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YETVTQ/ref=asc_df_B002YETVTQ7200031?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B002YETVTQ

If you want to spend a bit more then Linksys E2000 is another highly recommend router on this forum I know its the "older" model but it does have some features over the E2500 which I think makes it the better buy of them two.

Skie
30-03-2012, 12:06
The superhub can't do it.

I use an Asus RT-N16 with TomatoUSB firmware installed. Tomato lets you do this as well as loads of other useful things and that particular router has a good cpu so can handle anything you throw at it. There are other cheapers routers that Tomato supports too, I'd highly recommend it.

broadbandking
30-03-2012, 18:55
I am due to get my 60Mb upgrade today along with a new router which I am guessing will be the Superhub.

To ****** my kids off a bit, can I throttle the bandwidth based on MAC address using this hub or do I need to find another way of preventing them from nicking all my bandwidth? ;)

Use the wireless and don't tell them the password.

kwikbreaks
01-04-2012, 10:52
To ****** my kids off a bit, can I throttle the bandwidth based on MAC address using this hub or do I need to find another way of preventing them from nicking all my bandwidth? ;)You'd need a £20 router to do that so the Superhub won't support it. Luckily there is a get round though - only give them access via WiFi - it's so ropey they won't need any extra slowing down.

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

There are other cheapers routers that Tomato supports too, I'd highly recommend it.I have it on an old Buffalo router and it works brilliantly for upstream QoS on some webcams I use. As my home network is based on a couple of gigabit switches and I only use the router as internet gateway and DCHP server it doesn't need to be fast.

General Maximus
01-04-2012, 19:03
As jumping said, Linksys are great. You might not want to fork out on another router but dont think of it as just for managing the kids, getting something like a linksys router is a winner all round. The features are settings they have are superb, you'll love the wireless performance and overall they are solid and reliable. You'll be well impressed the options you have for QoS, restricting traffic during certain times of the day (i.e blocking internet access after 2100), blocking certain websites, ports, protocols. You can block by ip address or mac.

Stuart
02-04-2012, 01:48
Another vote for a Linksys here.. I had a WRT54G for years (with DD-WRT), that did sterling service until I replaced it with an Apple Timecapsule.

Now I've got a Linksys E4200, and it's also giving sterling service. Gives good wireless coverage (2GHz and 5GHz) coverage over most of the house, and good speeds (on both transfers between computers in my network, and with services outside it).

craigj2k12
02-04-2012, 18:08
whats the 4200 like in terms of range?