28-03-2012, 09:46
Morning all
On my phone as my 50mb service is down.

No upload link seems to be the issue. The event log says
"unicast ranging received abort response - initializing MAC"

Me and a friend both have same issue
Lights on modem show steady down arrow, blinking up arrow and no tick

Support asked me to turn my modem off and then booked an engineer Friday
I explained its a network fault as 2 people have it they said nothing has been reported I said I'm reporting it
The advice was to wait until Friday as it is an issue at my property
It was fine up to ten to 9 this morning

Any ideas or anyone in same boat?

moriath
28-03-2012, 21:26
RG12 area here also and no problems at all

Maybe its your local cable box or something

General Maximus
29-03-2012, 06:40
they are a bit rubbish when it comes to stuff like this. I hope Ben comes in to this thread because I would like to know the process they have of identifying network faults. When you speak to first line they always like to deny it and are quite happy to send an engineer round to every single person's house. I had this a couple of years ago and had to wait 3 days for an engineer to come round only for him to say that every call he had been to that day was for the same thing, there was nothing he could do and he was escalating it. It got fixed in 4 hours once he made the call.

I thought VM would have picked up on these earlier though. If there is a spike in calls for a particular area all of a sudden I would have thought that the system would pick it up and if they have to apply fault codes to tickets somebody would see that there are a tonne of tickets all for the same problem in the same area.

SOSAGES
02-04-2012, 09:22
This seems to happen every morning now have an engineer out Thursday

Chrysalis
02-04-2012, 18:51
they are a bit rubbish when it comes to stuff like this. I hope Ben comes in to this thread because I would like to know the process they have of identifying network faults. When you speak to first line they always like to deny it and are quite happy to send an engineer round to every single person's house. I had this a couple of years ago and had to wait 3 days for an engineer to come round only for him to say that every call he had been to that day was for the same thing, there was nothing he could do and he was escalating it. It got fixed in 4 hours once he made the call.

I thought VM would have picked up on these earlier though. If there is a spike in calls for a particular area all of a sudden I would have thought that the system would pick it up and if they have to apply fault codes to tickets somebody would see that there are a tonne of tickets all for the same problem in the same area.

To be fair when I rang up last month about the LEx fault, the guy went quiet for 10 seconds, then said I can see hundreds of modems offline I am raising the fault now. Within 2 hours was a message on 151 reporting it affecting many areas. However what was defenitly bad is that I rang up 10 hours after the fault started and it hadnt already been raised at that point.

craigj2k12
02-04-2012, 19:35
just confirms the fact virgin dont really care about their network, they are after taking the most money, and not botheres about the quality of the service they provide. They should have noticed instantly that 100's (probably thousands based on the postcode region it affected) all went offline at the same time - not to mention the fact they should be monitoring utilisation, which most likely went from 80% to 0

SOSAGES
04-04-2012, 10:31
this is an odd one here is what happens (i have been monitoring it for over a week now)

Every morning around 5.30am my BB goes off. There is no upload connection.
The upload arrow will flash and the "tick" will come on and flash for 2-3 seconds a few times a minute

if i turn the modem on and off i have no joy but at 10:00am it comes back on again every day since weds last week...

looking at the modem config while this is going on just sees its trying to establish an upload lock - some errors from the event log are:
Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

so by 10:00am i am back up and working perfectly again. This is very odd

Chrysalis
04-04-2012, 11:49
just confirms the fact virgin dont really care about their network, they are after taking the most money, and not botheres about the quality of the service they provide. They should have noticed instantly that 100's (probably thousands based on the postcode region it affected) all went offline at the same time - not to mention the fact they should be monitoring utilisation, which most likely went from 80% to 0

of course if it was due to them attempting an upgrade they would have been aware just not thought of alerting customers to the outage. Which boils down to the same thing of what you just said really. They may be aware of a lot of things but often its a "no action taken".