PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Wireless Speed Issues

madlewis
27-03-2012, 20:41
Hi there, today received my new super hub after upgrading from 10mb to 60mb. Set up the super hub and very impressed with speed connection on the ethernet connection (hitting 60mb all the time). Wireless is a different story. I can barely make 20mb. I have a wireless N adapter, the superhub isnt that far away. I have changed channels, reduced speed from 300mbps to 145mbps, used a program to check available channels etc. Ive followed alot of advice on the internet regarding the super hub yet cannot get about 20mb wireless. Ive even sat the computer right next to the hub and its still the same, so distance isnt an issue. Has anyone got any advice on what to do next? Many thanks in advanced

Zee
27-03-2012, 21:00
this happens in some areas. in my friends area is even worse, on all wireless channels struggles to get even 10Mb on wireless but max speeds through wired.

Have you tried connecting through the 5GHz band to see if that improves?

madlewis
27-03-2012, 21:07
Ye didnt see much of an improvement, and its un-suitable for me as in the house there are 2 iphone 3gs's which dont support the 5Ghz band. Its just so bizarre since upgrading from 10mb to 60mb my wireless has got worse! (have tried old router and new superhub and seem to get same results) yet on wired i hit 60/61 all the time!

Zee
27-03-2012, 21:13
im guessing you tried inssider to check local wireless networks? are there many?

what i think is happening is there is too much interference which isn't giving you a great speed on wireless which is possibly why your speed was ok on 10Mb but not 60Mb.

Do you have any cordless phones etc?

madlewis
27-03-2012, 21:22
Yes i tried inssider, theres a few in the area but luckily they all use lower channels so i selected a higher one and am not overlapping. Ye we have cordless phones but i went around turning things off earlier on that may interfere with no luck. At the moment doing more tests i can just about get to 20mb, but in some cases im getting a lower speed result than on the 10mb connection (getting 8mb)

alexcopeland
27-03-2012, 22:41
Might be worth checking for a driver update for the network adapter.

captainwebb
27-03-2012, 23:52
I'm having similar problems, albeit at 10Mbit. VM sent me a SuperHub aweek ago to cure a cable speed problem, which it did. Wireless has exited via the sewage system.

What's the current version no for SuperHub firmware? Lord alone knows how long it's been since this one was flashed.

Zee
28-03-2012, 00:09
@ captainwebb, Current version is R30 (5.5.2R30)

@madlewis, there isn't much i can say except take alex advice about the driver update which may be the issue, but i doubt that, otherwise my best guess is its an area problem with the wireless signals.

Also if nothing else works, you could request a new SH just incase there is an issue with the wireless on the current one.

craigj2k12
28-03-2012, 00:14
I'm having similar problems, albeit at 10Mbit. VM sent me a SuperHub aweek ago to cure a cable speed problem, which it did. Wireless has exited via the sewage system.

What's the current version no for SuperHub firmware? Lord alone knows how long it's been since this one was flashed.

it doesnt get manually flashed, it gets updated via the network

madlewis
28-03-2012, 00:52
To be honest the only issue for me is the low speed on one of my desktop computers. Ive decided im going to run an Ethernet cable to the device, never considered it before as 10mb was okay over wireless but now ive got 60mb i want to get the best i can. The other devices using wireless are just mobile and a single laptop which around 20mb is fine for. Am still going to see if there is anything i can do though as its a shame to not even get half the speed on wireless. Thanks for your help

Zee
28-03-2012, 01:20
To be honest the only issue for me is the low speed on one of my desktop computers. Ive decided im going to run an Ethernet cable to the device, never considered it before as 10mb was okay over wireless but now ive got 60mb i want to get the best i can. The other devices using wireless are just mobile and a single laptop which around 20mb is fine for. Am still going to see if there is anything i can do though as its a shame to not even get half the speed on wireless. Thanks for your help

if you're getting double speeds on other computers, i'd take the advice the upgrade the wireless driver for your system.

madlewis
28-03-2012, 01:25
Oh no sorry said it a bit confusing. All wireless devices in the house max out about 20mb, only now am i getting near 30mb. Its only devices that are directly wired into the modem that get a constant 60mb.

Zee
28-03-2012, 01:47
Oh no sorry said it a bit confusing. All wireless devices in the house max out about 20mb, only now am i getting near 30mb. Its only devices that are directly wired into the modem that get a constant 60mb.

i see. which makes me believe more and more its wireless interference. as people turn off their wireless devices like their routers at night, the speed may increase slightly.

madlewis
28-03-2012, 02:13
Ye thats what i thought, after running inssider again i noticed one or two networks were offline meaning there was a massive channel gap between my network and the ones online. Will have to do more checking and channel changing tomorrow when the networks are online to get a better picture.