PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Superhub - move next to Tivo box?

Swampie
20-03-2012, 17:24
We originally had our cable modem upstairs at the back of the house. We recently had Tivo installed downstairs and as part of that now have a new internal wall box fitted next to the TV.

We've just been sent a Superhub to resolve our low upstream speed with an old cable modem, and had hoped to move the modem downstairs. However, I've discovered that the wall box downstairs only has a single port on it.

I realise I need some sort of splitter, and looking around I can see basic splitters (which I'd connect to the isolator) and isolator splitters (which would replace the existing isolator).

The current single port isolator downstairs (TRIS-1002L) has 0.4dB loss (5-1000MHz). The upstairs isolator is a VQ601, which looking online seems to have 0.5dB insertion loss.

It seems that all splitters, whether basic, or combined splitter/isolator have greater losses, and therefore will affect the signal into the existing equipment - my previous modem reported:

Modem levels:
Downstream Receive Power Level: 4.63 dBmv
Downstream SNR: 36.33 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level: 38.00 dBmv

I don't offhand know what the Tivo reports (or whether it reports anything to the user).

Am I likely to get issues if I use any kind of splitter? Do people often to this without problem or do most people find they then have issues?

Finally, if I didn't change any cabling and just replaced the Superhub, is it likely/possible that the Superhub may have different signal requirements to the old modem, and therefore find that I need an engineer to come to adjust things? If an engineer did come with the intention of adjusting the signal levels, is there any chance he would agree to fit a splitter downstairs and adjust the levels for that?

jb66
20-03-2012, 18:51
a 2 way splitter looses around 4db. I dont see there being an issue with splitting the signal behind the tivo.