PDA

View Full Version : Superhub BBC iPlayer on Xbox 360 kills Superhub

foxtrot_yankee
20-03-2012, 16:56
This is a stupid problem to have.

I downloaded the new BBC iPlayer app for the Xbox 360 today, but when I start it up, it somehow manages to reset the Superhub.

I have a degree in Network Engineering and work for a national Telecoms company, so I should know my stuff, but this has me flummuxed. How on Earth can starting iPlayer on the Xbox, cause the Superhub to reset everytime!?

The Xbox 360 is in the DMZ, so there should be no traffic filtering going on.

There are no entries for today in the router logs either.

Chrysalis
20-03-2012, 16:58
manually set the mtu on the superhub to 1500

also disable firewall and flood protection, DMZ doesnt overide those things.

foxtrot_yankee
20-03-2012, 17:05
manually set the mtu on the superhub to 1500

also disable firewall and flood protection, DMZ doesnt overide those things.

Firewall Features and IP Flood Detection were already off.

MTU was default (which is 1500 anyway, right?). I set it to 1500 and still have the same issue.

It's weird. iPlayer looks like it's loading up then, all of a sudden, I'm disconnected from Xbox Live and I can see the Superhub lights indicating it's resetting.

qasdfdsaq
20-03-2012, 17:18
Faulty Superhub.

There's a few of them around it seems.

Harryn9000
20-03-2012, 17:19
very weird hope i don't get that problem had enough of them this year with superhub

v0id
20-03-2012, 19:01
are you blocking any websites in the superhub?
This used to cause my superhub to reset itself everytime I went to start the MSN player on the Xbox

Chrysalis
20-03-2012, 19:10
Firewall Features and IP Flood Detection were already off.

MTU was default (which is 1500 anyway, right?). I set it to 1500 and still have the same issue.

It's weird. iPlayer looks like it's loading up then, all of a sudden, I'm disconnected from Xbox Live and I can see the Superhub lights indicating it's resetting.

yeah maybe try getting it swapped.

the tips I gave you were to minimize any processing it does on packets, eg. manually setting to 1500 stops it trying to auto detect the mtu.

djfunkdup
20-03-2012, 19:20
if you give me ten min i will sign into XBL and download the app and try it and let you no if it resets my SHUB

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

ok just installed the iplayer app and everything is fine here..went into the iplayer and started up a bbc doc in HD and it played no probs and no SHUB crash..hope this helps

foxtrot_yankee
20-03-2012, 23:08
are you blocking any websites in the superhub?
This used to cause my superhub to reset itself everytime I went to start the MSN player on the Xbox

Yes, I do. You might be on to something here. I block those annoying advertising domains like doubleclick.net

2 secs...

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

Well done v0id, you've cracked it. I disabled Domain Blocking and it works.

boroboi
20-03-2012, 23:27
Jesus wept.

qasdfdsaq
20-03-2012, 23:42
Another Superhub fail?

foxtrot_yankee
20-03-2012, 23:43
It's ridiculous that that happens.

ccarmock
24-03-2012, 16:00
It's a known issue - fixed in the next firmware release for the Superhub:-

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/General-broadband-questions/BBC-iPlayer-on-Xbox-360-kills-Superhub/m-p/1108601#M30321

qasdfdsaq
24-03-2012, 17:26
Quick acknowledgement, though the "next firmware release for the Superhub" has been "coming soon" for how long now?

Chrysalis
24-03-2012, 18:54
anyone with the issue I would register as a beta tester, as that will come first before a firmware release probably.

General Maximus
25-03-2012, 06:55
Oh well, another amazing feature of the shub to go on one of those bullet points along with the unbeatable wireless performance. You would have thought their "rigourous" testing would have picked something like this up given the number of customers that use PS3s and Xboxs which VM supposedly cater for.

Mick Fisher
25-03-2012, 14:05
And so........The Saga Continues. :D

You really really couldn't make it up.

Ah well, I suppose that's why they say the truth is stranger than fiction. :)

djfunkdup
25-03-2012, 15:11
Oh well, another amazing feature of the shub to go on one of those bullet points along with the unbeatable wireless performance. You would have thought their "rigourous" testing would have picked something like this up given the number of customers that use PS3s and Xboxs which VM supposedly cater for.

Did you not see my post ? :erm::erm::erm:

i have the bbc iplayer app working fine on my xbox with the SHUB

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

if you give me ten min i will sign into XBL and download the app and try it and let you no if it resets my SHUB

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

ok just installed the iplayer app and everything is fine here..went into the iplayer and started up a bbc doc in HD and it played no probs and no SHUB crash..hope this helps

General Maximus
25-03-2012, 17:35
Did you not see my post ? :erm::erm::erm:

i have the bbc iplayer app working fine on my xbox with the SHUB

ya, it doesnt matter though, it should have worked properly from the get go. I would bet good money that if I lent you my Linksys router it would work no probs.

djfunkdup
25-03-2012, 18:38
ya, it doesnt matter though, it should have worked properly from the get go. I would bet good money that if I lent you my Linksys router it would work no probs.

lol what is wrong with you ? are you drunk ?

it DID work from the start.all i did was install the iplayer app and then it worked..man this planet is full of nutters :p:

craigj2k12
25-03-2012, 18:42

it DID work from the start.all i did was install the iplayer app and then it worked..man this planet is full of nutters :p:

yeah people who type like this

NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

djfunkdup
25-03-2012, 18:44
lol talking about the usual suspects...you were sure to show your face in a SHUB related thread..

haha priceless :D :D

and as far as the 'NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS' goes.there is limited space so some letters had to be grouped up.i can imagine a peanut brain would struggle to work that out..

anyway as i said the world is full of nutters :D

General Maximus
25-03-2012, 18:57

I wasnt talking about you, I was refering to foxtrot yankees post

Well done v0id, you've cracked it. I disabled Domain Blocking and it works.

djfunkdup
25-03-2012, 19:05
I wasnt talking about you, I was refering to foxtrot yankees post

Actually you referred to me and said if you gave me your router then you bet it would work no problem...

well it does already work no problem..yes that other chap might be having some issues,but not everyone is..

most people including myself got the app to work right away with no issues

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

General Maximus
25-03-2012, 19:06
:blah:

djfunkdup
25-03-2012, 19:10
:blah:

yaaaaaaaaaaa some sense from you at last :D :D :D

You just can't help yourself from having a good olde thrashing of the SHUB can ya lol :p: :p:

SnoopZ
25-03-2012, 19:12
Working fine for me too with a shub.

Skie
25-03-2012, 20:42
Whats the betting the upgraded firmware just disables domain blocking?

boroboi
25-03-2012, 22:30
most people including myself got the app to work right away with no issues

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Yeah, i'm sure everyone who isn't using domain blocking has it working fine, including myself when i had it in router mode :P Are you using domain blocking?

Likewise, i'm sure everyone who uses domain blocking and wants to use the iPlayer app will run into problems :td:

lol @ Skie, it wouldn't surprise me in the least going by the IP flood detection fiasco.

kwikbreaks
26-03-2012, 11:54
I'm not going to be betting against that...

foxtrot_yankee
26-03-2012, 13:12

I've been offered to beta test the new firmware when it's available, so we shall see!

SimonB79
26-03-2012, 17:32
my bbciplayer experience ... xbox (using dualband wifi N adapter) literally sitting ontop of superhub in *router mode* can only stream in SD, HD buffers every 5 seconds .... in *modem mode* HD content plays perfectly... /facepalm

Sigma
03-04-2012, 16:43
I tried iPlayer on the Xbox last night for the first time after getting the Superhub. I tried playing a programme in HD, but it played for 2 seconds, buffered for 10 seconds, played for 2 seconds, buffered...... and so on. Totally useless, but I don't know if this is because of the app on the 360, the Superhub, or VM throttling ports. Either way, it's unusable.

Harryn9000
03-04-2012, 17:41
that why u should use an ethernet cable from the shrub. as i don't have a problem using it buffers at start then it fine and thats HD

Sigma
03-04-2012, 18:18
that why u should use an ethernet cable from the shrub. as i don't have a problem using it buffers at start then it fine and thats HD
The hub is 3 feet from the Xbox (literally under the desk that the Xbox is on) and connected via ethernet. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Harryn9000
03-04-2012, 20:22
not sure what else i could say mate as mine i don't have a problem and mine is 10m ethernet cable.

planetf1
23-05-2012, 16:32
Funnily enough I came across this via google

I have exactly the same issue on BT Infinity 2 with a HomeHub 3 and around 60/16 Mbps throughput. Other devices (internet tvs, pc, laptops) can stream HD just fine, immediate, no glitches -- but xbox struggles with HD despite being directly ethernet connected to router.

All I can guess is
- there's issues with port forwarding/upnp/router config (but thought this would more likely result in total failure)
- the traffic is going to a different, under-capacity bbc endpoint
- the traffic is being detected by the ISP as file sharing and traffic management rules are applied
- the traffic for all xbox stuff is routed via xbox live and they have issues

Daveoc64
24-05-2012, 00:23
Of all of the video Apps I've used on the Xbox (Sky, Netflix, YouTube, Lovefilm, 4oD, Demand 5), I find that the BBC iPlayer app is the least reliable.

I wonder if it's a capacity problem too. Microsoft's figures suggest that the video apps have been incredibly popular, so it wouldn't be surprising if they haven't planned for demand.

the traffic for all xbox stuff is routed via xbox live and they have issues

My understanding is that all traffic goes direct between the user and the maker of the App.