PDA

View Full Version : Superhub No internet after Tivo install

thewelshman
14-03-2012, 13:55
Hi, Virgin engineer has just installed Tivo for us and we have gone up to 60mb broadband (already had superhub). Wife has just called to tell me that the internet is no longer working i.e laptop connects to superhub but no internet.

Is this normal? Do we have to wait for the changeover to accomodate the tivo internet connection?

General Maximus
14-03-2012, 14:01
nope, I would haazard a guess that your internet connection is absolutely fine, which can be confirmed if you connect the laptop to the shub by cable, and it is the wireless connection that is at fault.

The best thing you can do atm is to tell her to unplug it from the back and plug it back in again to force a restart. This will not only refresh the shubs connection to the VM network but reset your wi-fi as well. If that doesnt work you'll have to come back here later and we'll tell you what else you can do.

thewelshman
14-03-2012, 14:03
nope, I would haazard a guess that your internet connection is absolutely fine, which can be confirmed if you connect the laptop to the shub by cable, and it is the wireless connection that is at fault.

The best thing you can do atm is to tell her to unplug it from the back and plug it back in again to force a restart. This will not only refresh the shubs connection to the VM network but reset your wi-fi as well. If that doesnt work you'll have to come back here later and we'll tell you what else you can do.

the connection to the hub is fine, multiple devices are connecting but there is no internet connectivity

General Maximus
14-03-2012, 14:14
connecting how? all wirelessly? There is obviously a problem with the switch half going to the routing half and heading off to the internet so turn the thing on and off. All the settings on the hub will stay the same, it will just refresh it's connection. It is a 20 second job.

If you have still got the problem then there are some tests you can do but you are going to need to be in front of a laptop/pc to do them.

If you want to prove that your internet connection is fine (which I suspect it is) tell your wife to go to 192.168.0.1 in her browser (put it in the address bar instead of something like www.google.com). This will pull up the login page for the shub, your username is admin and the password is changeme (if you havent changed it). You then want to click bottom middle on advanced settings. A lot of tabs will come up on the left hand side and you want something like "connection" and "status". The status bit will tell you that you have a network connection to VM and what speed and connection tab establishes the fact that the modem has aquired a lock on 4 channels and what the power levels are etc, thus proving you have an internet connection.

thewelshman
14-03-2012, 14:22
Thanks, I get all of that and will check when I get home. It was a general question about wether the SHUB should be rebooted as the broadband has been increased from 10mb to 60mb.

General Maximus
14-03-2012, 14:32
they should have forced a remote reboot when they upgraded you which have made the modem download a new configuration file and allow it to operate at the new speed.

Sephiroth
14-03-2012, 15:30
But yes. In all such circumstances, reboot the SH.

thewelshman
14-03-2012, 15:42
Looks like they haven't upgraded yet - still on 10mb (internet came back on 30 mins later). Will leave until tomorrow and then chase them.

General Maximus
14-03-2012, 16:40
it should be immediate dude so it might be the case that the engineer that came round should have made a phone call to get your provisioned for your new speed and didnt. I would give them a tinkle when you get in from work and get them to do it over the phone. It is a 60 second job once you get through (you might be on hold for 10 mins or so).

Btw, forget speed tests, you need to see what speed you are actually provisioned for and somewhere in those advanced settings will be a status tab or configuration tab which will say something like this:

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Max Traffic Rate : 110000000 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Max Traffic Rate : 10250000 bps

Yours will be slightly different because I am on 100mbit so your downstream should be 66000000 bps

Nopanic
14-03-2012, 17:22
Yeah as above there is no delay. Assuming all is well with the provisioning systems, which if there was an issue the tech would have made a song about it :)

thewelshman
15-03-2012, 07:50
Thanks for the advice - will be back on the phone to them today as they said it takes 24 hours for the speed increase to filter through - yeah right!

jb66
15-03-2012, 08:36
it should be immediate dude so it might be the case that the engineer that came round should have made a phone call to get your provisioned for your new speed and didnt. I would give them a tinkle when you get in from work and get them to do it over the phone. It is a 60 second job once you get through (you might be on hold for 10 mins or so).

Btw, forget speed tests, you need to see what speed you are actually provisioned for and somewhere in those advanced settings will be a status tab or configuration tab which will say something like this:

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Max Traffic Rate : 110000000 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Max Traffic Rate : 10250000 bps

Yours will be slightly different because I am on 100mbit so your downstream should be 66000000 bps

Actually the technician shouldt have done anything, when the job is closed a IN hit is sent to every piece of equipment, if it never came through its a customer service issue not a technician issue. I personally wouldn't get involved

General Maximus
15-03-2012, 10:27
so why when I had 100mbit installed did they wait for the engineer to ring them before they provisioned me for it?

jb66
15-03-2012, 11:14
so why when I had 100mbit installed did they wait for the engineer to ring them before they provisioned me for it?

Becasue he doesnt know how to use his PDA

qasdfdsaq
15-03-2012, 11:56
Wow, what a noob!

General Maximus
15-03-2012, 12:11
great

thewelshman
15-03-2012, 15:17
Just as an update, was still on 10mb this morning, so rebooted the SHUB and am now running with 30mb of glorious broadband and will jump to 60mb in the next couple of weeks.

jb66
15-03-2012, 15:36
Just as an update, was still on 10mb this morning, so rebooted the SHUB and am now running with 30mb of glorious broadband and will jump to 60mb in the next couple of weeks.

I had a few of these this week, my area isn't 60meg enabled so folk are expecting 60meg but only getting 30meg

General Maximus
15-03-2012, 15:46

sweet, glad to see it worked out in the end