PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Wall Mount Superhub Remove Base Stand

MovedGoalPosts
13-03-2012, 13:31
The shiny new superhub is wall bracket mounted, very nice. But the base stand now looks rather silly with the thing placed half way up the wall. The Superhub's Business Broadband manual has a nice photoshot with the stand removed. Any idea how to do this?

qasdfdsaq
13-03-2012, 13:37
Undo the two torx screws at the back (right under the network ports) and pull hard.

May or may not void your warranty if you don't do it carefully enough.

MovedGoalPosts
13-03-2012, 14:05
Ah right, so it's not really supposed to be removed by the customer then. I'll have to sum up some dutch courage ....

Sirius
13-03-2012, 15:29
Ah right, so it's not really supposed to be removed by the customer then. I'll have to sum up some dutch courage ....

Now Now Rob you know what we said about you and screw drivers at the last lan

ShadowTD
13-03-2012, 15:46
They do a wall mount now do they eh? I asked about one a few weeks after I had my shub delivered last year (because there's blatantly grooves for a wall bracket) to be told such a thing did not exist!

MovedGoalPosts
13-03-2012, 15:54
Now Now Rob you know what we said about you and screw drivers at the last lan

:cry:

They do a wall mount now do they eh? I asked about one a few weeks after I had my shub delivered last year (because there's blatantly grooves for a wall bracket) to be told such a thing did not exist!

It's just a bit of plastic, but only holds the hub off the wall by a couple of inches. That's fine for the standard cable attachment and also for the ethernet leads to plug in. If you needed an attenuator on the cable feed it wouldn't work.

ShadowTD
13-03-2012, 16:32
Thanks for that. Doesn't matter now anyway but it would have been nice to have for my setup...

qasdfdsaq
13-03-2012, 16:38
You could probably make something yourself out of a couple plastic sheets or wood. A few coat hooks or these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-6-White-Stik-UPVC-SELF-ADHESIVE-LARGE-OBLONG-HOOKS-2-X-1-/360441380060?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Decorative_Accents_ LE&hash=item53ebfafcdc) will probably do the trick

kwikbreaks
13-03-2012, 22:14
If you needed an attenuator on the cable feed it wouldn't work.
The attenuator could go at the wall socket end...

Goes to show why every other bit of kit I've seen has the connectors on one of the edges instead of one of the faces. I always used to wall mount routers.

qasdfdsaq
13-03-2012, 22:24
I'd be curious as to what would happen if you connected a one-way attenuator backwards.

kwikbreaks
13-03-2012, 22:30
I'd be curious as to what would happen if you connected a one-way attenuator backwards.
I assumed it would just be like an extension cable so could be fitted either end - I must admit I've never looked. Come to that can they only be fitted one way round? If they can then the answer is simple - it wouldn't work but I imagine it make no difference. One of the installer guys will know for sure.

thenry
13-03-2012, 22:39
they fit 1 way. female/male

qasdfdsaq
14-03-2012, 00:17
It can be fitted the other way round, but it's still a forward path attenuator, emphasis forward. By definition it's supposed to attenuate signal in one direction and not the other.

To be honest it probably uses a frequency split rather than any clever directional circuitry but I'm still curious.

thenry
14-03-2012, 01:01
i failed to read correctly. your talking about screwing it into the isolator under the faceplate?

kwikbreaks
14-03-2012, 11:50
It attenuates the downstream which is ~ 300MHz upwards and leaves the upstream which is < ~ 50MHz unattenuated. That means it's probably a resistive T with a low pass filter bypass. I've no idea if it would work either way around because I don't have a proper circuit diagram and cba to chase around on google looking for one.

Thinking about it you are right though - putting it at the wallplate end would turn it around. I have a 6dB FPA fitted and that was certainly put at the modem end.

If I hadn't got all my stuff behind the settee I'd try it out.

ccarmock
18-03-2012, 17:51
I have a 15 dB attenuator on the service here and it's at the wall plate end ie physically connected 'backwards' , however it still attenuates the downstream power by 15 dB and leave upstream alone.

Blackened
18-03-2012, 19:57
I'm confused.

If you fitted it at the wall on the beginning of the cable going to the shub
(so wall plate feed > attenuator > cable > shub) why would that be different to fitting it on the same cable but at the shub end (wall plate feed > cable > attenuator > shub)?

Or am I reading this wrong?

thenry
18-03-2012, 20:04
cos the threads about wall mounting the SH

Blackened
18-03-2012, 20:34
What? I'm talking about the placement of the attenuator on the same cable?

thenry
18-03-2012, 20:46
the SH wouldnt sit on a wall mount properly with an attenuator fitted to the SHs coaxial input unless you allow to stick out

Blackened
18-03-2012, 20:47
Can you leave this to one of the others to answer mate.
I'm talking about the path and the attenuator being in reverse, not the physical placement.

Ta.

ccarmock
18-03-2012, 20:52
I'm confused.

If you fitted it at the wall on the beginning of the cable going to the shub
(so wall plate feed > attenuator > cable > shub) why would that be different to fitting it on the same cable but at the shub end (wall plate feed > cable > attenuator > shub)?

Or am I reading this wrong?

Well the question was would fitting it the 'other way round' make a difference to how it works. So having the male end of the FPA fitted to the wall plate means the female end of the FPA faces the superhub. When fitted to the back of the superhub the male end faces it, so yes it is the other way round.

Blackened
18-03-2012, 20:58
This was my original answer:

But don't they only go one way round?
The cable from the wall to the shub is male/male?I had to physically go and get one and look at why it would be facing the other way around!

Cheers :)

jb66
18-03-2012, 21:01
I can't understand how it would be the wrong way round, if you plug it into the isolator it will be female sticking out.

If you plug it in place of the isolator, something you shouldn't do (this means the network and your connection is open to interference) then it would be the wrong way round. Pointless as you would have to use barrel to attatch a piece of co-ax to the connection which could have been done before the isolator anyway?

It doesn't matter where the attenuator is, attenuation is attenuation

Blackened
18-03-2012, 21:07
I can't understand how it would be the wrong way round, if you plug it into the isolator it will be female sticking out.

Right, so in that case that would be the signal coming out through the female, right?
If you have it on the back of the superhub the signal will be going IN through the female, wouldn't it? So the jelly is inverted isn't it?

You're the expert, I'm just playing along with a bottle of Shiraz. :D

carbon60
23-03-2012, 11:06
The shiny new superhub is wall bracket mounted, very nice. But the base stand now looks rather silly with the thing placed half way up the wall. The Superhub's Business Broadband manual has a nice photoshot with the stand removed. Any idea how to do this?

Have you got any pictures of the wall mount?

Does anyone know how to obtain the wall mount as a home customer? Looking at the slots at the back of the Superhub I'm wondering whether they are in a generic place and there would be a generic wall mount available.

Sitdownfor this
11-03-2013, 13:41

Hi, if this wall bracket is for real, please can you tell me where you got it from?

Thanks

tizmeinnit
11-03-2013, 13:55
for those mentioned attenuation just use one of these http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/310292269398?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0 I know the thread is a year old but some of you guys really like to make life complicated for yourselves

MovedGoalPosts
11-03-2013, 14:20
Hi, if this wall bracket is for real, please can you tell me where you got it from?

Thanks

It was supplied with the superhub as part of the business broadband package

ccarmock
11-03-2013, 22:23
Must admit I didn't get a bracket with my Business Superhub. but then they didn't even give me a PSU - just used one from the old Cisco EPC2100 it replaced!

MovedGoalPosts
22-04-2013, 14:27
to :bump: an old thread, a VM engineer has just turned up to make some tweaks, including to fit an attenuator, and is completely gobsmacked by the wall bracket mounting. Immediately on the phone to his office "help - the attenuator won't fit" :doh:

craigj2k12
22-04-2013, 14:40
install it at the isolator/splitter?

Sephiroth
22-04-2013, 14:45
.... the other way round!

Circle squared, both subjects covered!

jb66
22-04-2013, 14:55
barrel 30m of rg6! :)

MovedGoalPosts
22-04-2013, 16:41
He wasn't impressed when I showed him the isolator buried down in the cellar, but he fitted something there instead of at the superhub itself. He seemed happier with the signal levels once he'd done that.

qasdfdsaq
22-04-2013, 18:46
Immediately on the phone to his office "help - the attenuator won't fit" :doh:
Haha