PDA

View Full Version : 30M Motorola modem no good for 30M ?

s4vva
13-03-2012, 11:34
I recently upgraded from 10M to 30M (not the double speed roll out, I actually called and upgraded). I have noticed that I don't seem to consistently get the 30M I was promised. According to speedtest.net (I know many factors should be accounted for) my speed can vary anything from 3 to 20 M.

I have a feeling this could be down to my old Motorola modem. Which leads me on to my questions;

I currently have a Motorola modem with a Linksys E2000.

Presumably I should request a Superhub?

Should I continue to use the Superhub in conjunction with the E2000 or should I just do away with the E2000?

Sephiroth
13-03-2012, 12:18
I think you need to check back with Customer Services as to how you've been provisioned. The 30 meg service is supposed to be a DOCSIS 3 based service requiring the Super Hub (which I recommend you put into Modem Mode and carry on using the Linksys router).

Maybe there's a package you're on that is different from the standard 30 meg. That needs clearing up.

Keep us posted.

thenry
13-03-2012, 12:34
huh. wouldnt the moto of broke? im sure Peter confirmed that not long ago. as Seph said call VM again and get it sorted you should be sent the SH or your paying for nothing really ;)

the motos need taking off the network anyway ?

Tim Deegan
13-03-2012, 12:37
I had a problem a while ago where I couldn't get any better than 75mb, even in the middle of the night, and I'm supposed to have 100mb. Both overseas and UK call centres said that there was no record of a problem on the network. But when an engineer turned up, he said that there was a network problem, that CS probably didn't know anything about. Anyway it has all been sorted now as you can see in my sig.

So it could be worth requesting an engineer visit.

s4vva
13-03-2012, 13:04
Thanks guys, I have requested a Superhub, they were quite surprised I was still using the old Motorola. I'll let you know if that improves the situation, if not then I will try an engineer visit as suggested.

Is the general consensus to use the Superhub in modem only mode and use the E2000 for everything else?

qasdfdsaq
13-03-2012, 13:05
Yes.

s4vva
13-03-2012, 13:20
Great, thanks for that.

I suppose it's not a good idea to use the Superhub as an access point for 2.4Ghz and the E2000 as 5Ghz? (The E2000 does not do simultaneous dual band).

qasdfdsaq
13-03-2012, 13:24
You could if you wanted to, but you'd still be at the mercy of the Superhub for wireless and NAT.

s4vva
13-03-2012, 13:27
You could if you wanted to, but you'd still be at the mercy of the Superhub for wireless and NAT.

I see, when you say 'at the mercy of' that does not fill me with confidence lol

I think I'll stick with the Superhub in modem only mode then.

qasdfdsaq
13-03-2012, 13:33
It's not meant to.

It works for many people, it doesn't work for many other people. If it does work for you - great. If it doesn't work for you - you're very limited in what you can do about it, without going with an external unit.

Tim Deegan
13-03-2012, 14:39
Is the general consensus to use the Superhub in modem only mode and use the E2000 for everything else?

I'd try it in the normal mode to start with (this works absolutely fine for me). Then if that doesn't work as you require it, then change to modem mode.

Sephiroth
13-03-2012, 16:24
There's no "if" about modem mode. Only router mode carries the "if" stigma"

jb66
13-03-2012, 17:49
If a motarola is provisioned for 30meg it simply doesn't not work, it won't lock on. You will be on 20meg

Sephiroth
13-03-2012, 20:59
Can we see your full modem stats please to verify jb's point?

Peter_
13-03-2012, 21:57
I recently upgraded from 10M to 30M (not the double speed roll out, I actually called and upgraded). I have noticed that I don't seem to consistently get the 30M I was promised. According to speedtest.net (I know many factors should be accounted for) my speed can vary anything from 3 to 20 M.

I have a feeling this could be down to my old Motorola modem.
As above if you are using a Motorola modem you will not be on 30Mb as you would be offline if your account was provisioned for 30Mb, no Ifs or Buts.

You will be on at the highest 20Mb, if they have sent you a Superhub once it is activated you can ring back and request an uplift to 30Mb.

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Can we see your full modem stats please to verify jb's point?
Nothing to verify as he would not be online if he was provisioned for 30Mb, used to see it quite often when I worked for them, usually upgraded by offshore surprisingly.;)

s4vva
14-03-2012, 11:47
I see, well that could be right. Is there a guide to getting the modem stats? I'll try and get them for you guys before I swap it for the Superhub tonight.

Even if that is the case shouldn't I be getting a consistent 20M with the Motorola then?

Sephiroth
14-03-2012, 11:59
Despite what the respected Peter says, you never know what you're gonna find in the stats.

Anyway, you log onto the modem in your browser http://192.168.100.1 and work through the menus. I'd be interested in your Downstream/Upstream power levels/SNR and your Operational Configuration.

Cheers

General Maximus
14-03-2012, 13:58
Two things:

Firstly I would love to know what on earth has gone wrong. According to Peter customer services never get anything wrong and it is retentions and CEOs offic that always screw everything up because they dont know anything.

Secondly, I think it is a joke that they love to shove the shubs down your throat when you dont need one but when you obviously do, they over look it

Tim Deegan
14-03-2012, 15:12
I have been on the phone to VM today about a different issue. But in the conversation I mentioned the jitter issue that some people (not myself) have. And I was told that if you are experiencing jitter, then you should report it, as 9 times out of 10 it can easily be sorted.

Sephiroth
14-03-2012, 15:29
Arrggh. One question short of what's needed!! HOW?

We'll see now. Everyone report your jitter. Then report back!

thenry
14-03-2012, 15:34
me 'my jitters are shot, latency sucks and all round modem functionality is not good enough'

agent 'ok sir please can you put this IP in your web browsers address bar'

me 'no, your going to remote login'

agent 'i cannot fix your problem then sir'

me 'you'll only toy around with my SHs settings!'

agent 'no sir I need to fix this issue'

me 'ok, go ahead remote login'

agent 'disable firewall, IP flood...'

me 'ARGHHHHHH!' :mad:

Chrysalis
14-03-2012, 15:37
I have been on the phone to VM today about a different issue. But in the conversation I mentioned the jitter issue that some people (not myself) have. And I was told that if you are experiencing jitter, then you should report it, as 9 times out of 10 it can easily be sorted.

Do you honestly think noone has reported jitter who is experiencing it and do you believe everything you have been told over the phone?

Tim Deegan
14-03-2012, 15:37
Arrggh. One question short of what's needed!! HOW?

We'll see now. Everyone report your jitter. Then report back!

What he said was that because it is now quite an old network, it can be as simple as dry joints or lose connections. And that this can often be solved by a guy with a scredriver at one of the servers just tightening it up, or pushing a plug in properly...his words, not mine!

Chrysalis
14-03-2012, 15:39
What he said was that because it is now quite an old network, it can be as simple as dry joints or lose connections. And that this can often be solved by a guy with a scredriver at one of the servers just tightening it up, or pushing a plug in properly...his words, not mine!

What about 'easily' sorting areas with chronic overutilisation.

jb66
14-03-2012, 15:40

Lololol

Chrysalis
14-03-2012, 15:41
Lololol

says it all I guess :)

Tim Deegan
14-03-2012, 15:41
me 'my jitters are shot, latency sucks and all round modem functionality is not good enough'

agent 'ok sir please can you put this IP in your web browsers address bar'

me 'no, your going to remote login'

agent 'i cannot fix your problem then sir'

me 'you'll only toy around with my SHs settings!'

agent 'no sir I need to fix this issue'

me 'ok, go ahead remote login'

agent 'disable firewall, IP flood...'

me 'ARGHHHHHH!' :mad:

I know what you mean, as I have had similar responses in the past (especially with overseas call centres). However unlike many, this guy did seem to know what he was talking about. He does game testing at home, and knows all about problems caused by jitter. In fact he had a problem himself in the past, which has now been fixed (manually as I said, and not by connecting to his PC remotely).

qasdfdsaq
14-03-2012, 15:43
... I reported my jitter, apparently my internet explorer is at fault.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Dry/loose joints do not cause jitter.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Lololol
What he said.

Tim Deegan
14-03-2012, 15:45
Do you honestly think noone has reported jitter who is experiencing it and do you believe everything you have been told over the phone?

I'm sure they have, but if they spoke to an operator who didn't understand the problem (as in thenry's case), then the problem wouldn't get sorted.

As I have often found in the past with VM, it depends on the person you speak to...you really feel like banging your head against the wall with some of them, whilst others are really knowledgeable.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

What about 'easily' sorting areas with chronic overutilisation.

I didn't ask about that

Tim Deegan
14-03-2012, 15:56
Look, if you lot just want to burry your heads in the sand, and can't possibley even give it a try, because you think that there is no way any VM employee could possibly know what they are talking about, then that's up to you.

However all I was doing is passing on what I have been told, so that people can give it a try.

There are some people in all companies who really do know what they are talking about, and there are others who just follow a flow chart. So if you are having a problem, then what have you got to lose?...don't shoot the messenger!

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

I did also ask about the problems that some people have with the superhub (again not me), and he said that the modem is good, but the wifi router is rubbish. And that he personally uses it in modem mode.

Chrysalis
try what?

you was just fobbed off and it seems he was very persuasive with you.

thenry
Tim they can do something. I've reported slow speeds and shot pings in the past, the guy whos UK based done some full diagnostic and somehow my ping dropped and speed max'd out BUT that doesn't stick, it normally just ends up going back to how it was.

Tim Deegan
On another subject, how do you log into a superhub's settings?

thenry
14-03-2012, 15:58
Look, if you lot just want to burry your heads in the sand, and can't possibley even give it a try, because you think that there is no way any VM employee could possibly know what they are talking about, then that's up to you.

However all I was doing is passing on what I have been told, so that people can give it a try.

There are some people in all companies who really do know what they are talking about, and there are others who just follow a flow chart. So if you are having a problem, then what have you got to lose?...don't shoot the messenger!

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

I did also ask about the problems that some people have with the superhub (again not me), and he said that the modem is good, but the wifi router is rubbish. And that he personally uses it in modem mode.

well thats wrong and proven. modem mode gets rid of the below standard router side of things. the modem itself isn't functioning at the best of its ability.

Tim Deegan
14-03-2012, 16:02
Tim they can do something. I've reported slow speeds and shot pings in the past, the guy whos UK based done some full diagnostic and somehow my ping dropped and speed max'd out BUT that doesn't stick, it normally just ends up going back to how it was.

Well I'm no techy. I'm only going by what he told me about his own personal experience.

I did have a problem with speeds a while ago, so I called VM. I got through to an overseas call centre :shocked: and al they wanted to do was log onto my PC, as they said there were no network problems. But they did arrange an engineer visit. So the next day I spoke to a UK call centre, and they said that there were no network problems. But when the engineer turned up, he said that there were network problems in my area, which he could also tell from my superhub. But said that the call centres don't always know about them. Then within a week my speed was back up to what it should be.

qasdfdsaq
14-03-2012, 16:03
FFS. Not this crap again.

Tim Deegan
14-03-2012, 16:03
well thats wrong and proven. modem mode gets rid of the below standard router side of things. the modem itself isn't functioning at the best of its ability.

As I said I'm no techy, but using common sense I wouldn't expect the modem to work well if there was a network issue.

s4vva
14-03-2012, 16:04
Two things:

Firstly I would love to know what on earth has gone wrong. According to Peter customer services never get anything wrong and it is retentions and CEOs offic that always screw everything up because they dont know anything.

Secondly, I think it is a joke that they love to shove the shubs down your throat when you dont need one but when you obviously do, they over look it

To be fair it was retentions that organised the initial upgrade. I asked if I needed a new modem, they said no.

thenry
14-03-2012, 16:12
aren't all the motorolas being taken off the network?

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

FFS. Not this crap again.

As I said I'm no techy, but using common sense I wouldn't expect the modem to work well if there was a network issue.

please make a post here to try force some kind of improvement > http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-broadband/Future-Firmware-Update-To-Cure-SuperHubs-Modem/td-p/1085487

Peter_
14-03-2012, 17:47
Despite what the respected Peter says, you never know what you're gonna find in the stats.

Anyway, you log onto the modem in your browser http://192.168.100.1 and work through the menus. I'd be interested in your Downstream/Upstream power levels/SNR and your Operational Configuration.

Cheers
Not despite that is actual bonafide 100% fact, any non Docsis 3 modem that gets sent a 30,50 or 100Mb config will not work as they cannot lock onto the CMTS so the OP would not have a connection.

The config would have to be changed in order for them to get back online, seen enough of them to know that is fact.

He would have a flashing Receive light and nothing more.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Two things:

Actually Customer Service doe screw up especially in cases like this, usually the so called CEO person who actually knows their job is in most cases a 2nd line agent who is emailed to call you back on their behalf, do you really think a suit would have a clue.

s4vva
14-03-2012, 18:15

Cheers

See attached, let me know if you need anything else.

s4vva
14-03-2012, 18:57
See attached, let me know if you need anything else.

OK superhub in place, it looks like I have been put on a 20M connection.

My question now is, is it worth me calling them to complain which will no doubt take forever or just wait until the double speed upgrade whereby both 20M and 30M get moved to 60M?

I think my upgrade is due April btw.

Just seen my speed test uploads, sorry the first said 15M (ish) and the second just shy of 20M. (Stupid chrome extension).

jb66
14-03-2012, 19:05
If you call retentions you will get a free upgrade to 30meg at least

thenry
14-03-2012, 19:08
don't print screen your speedtest.net results. once the speedtest is finished it'll say share this result , click on it and copy the web link. post it as a iamge or direct link your choice

as for your speed, like JB said call retention. call 150 or 151 from your VM home phone, option 1 to confirm account, option 5 thinking of leaving, option 2... tell them all about it.

s4vva
14-03-2012, 19:20
Thanks for the advice guys. It was retentions that offered me the 30M in the first place so I am sure I have a case. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

What is odd is that my billing says Broadband XL, which I thought could only be 30M?

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Also I am not sure what they were thinking when they designed these things but because of the size I have had to lie it sideways. I noticed that the vent was originally on top, wil it be a problem on it's side, do they get hot?

Running in modem mode so the antenna direction is not a problem.

speedtest over wireless, superhub in modem mode

Peter_
14-03-2012, 19:54
Your speedtest says 20Mb especially the upload speed which is 762kb.

s4vva
16-03-2012, 10:47
OK I have spoken to retentions and it's a no go for me. Apparently I agreed to 20M XL when I spoke with them last, seems odd to me. I know I agreed to XL, I just assumed that XL was 30M, can anyone confirm that this is not the case?

General Maximus
16-03-2012, 11:17
It doesnt really matter dude because you are going to be upgraded to 60mbit soon anyway

s4vva
16-03-2012, 11:23
That was my feeling on it anyway, apparently sometime between April - July :)