PDA

View Full Version : Superhub VPN and the Superhub

honest_john
09-03-2012, 00:23
Hi folks,

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere...

I don't know that much about networking, but I want to connect remotely to my work servers via a VPN. I'm using a Mac running Lion.

I've configured the VPN on my Mac and it always seems to connect/authenticate.

If my connection is using my phone's 3G connection, via the super hub in modem only mode, or via a non-superhub wireless network, it all works fine.

But if I try to connect wirelessly through the super hub, the VPN still says it's connected and authenticated (usually), but I can't actually access any of the work servers - I just get a "can't access server" type message.

I've read some stuff about how maybe port forwarding might help, but I didn't really understand it. I assume it must be a router problem - has anyone here got any ideas about what I could try? In a worst case scenario I suppose could probably buy a wireless router and plug that in to the super hub, but I'd rather leave that as a last resort.

Thanks.

General Maximus
09-03-2012, 09:10
I am a bit confused dude. If you are using your phones 3G connection then your phone is the modem and you aren't using the shub at all. If you are using the shub in modem mode and it works then that is cool. The problem you have got is using the shub in routing mode. I havent setup a VPN before but I am sure you need to disable the firewall (if you havent done so already) and you need enable VPN pass through or Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol.

There are other forum members who use VPNs all the time so hopefully one of them will chip in and give you the ins and outs. I am sure the shub can do it, it just doesnt do it all that well

honest_john
09-03-2012, 10:01
Hi GM,

Thanks for your input. What I meant was that I can connect to the VPN and the the company servers through either:
a) my phone 3G network (not using the shub at all)
b) using the shub in modem only mode

It's just using the router function of the shub that seems to cause a problem.

I have tried turning off all the settings on the shub, including the firewall, other than IPSec (unsure of spelling) and PPTP pass through (it's a PPTP VPN), but that doesn't seem to help.

Andrewcrawford23
09-03-2012, 10:04
Hi GM,

Thanks for your input. What I meant was that I can connect to the VPN and the the company servers through either:
a) my phone 3G network (not using the shub at all)
b) using the shub in modem only mode

It's just using the router function of the shub that causes a problem.

I have tried turning off all the settings on the shub, including the firewall, other than IPSec (unsure of spelling) and PPTP pass through (it's a PPTP VPN), but that doesn't seem to help.

the vpn funciton of shub is pretty crap just liek most of the rest of it, your best putting it into modem mode and get your own rotuer, most rotuers have decent vpn but you might want to look at a better performance one if it crucial to you

General Maximus
09-03-2012, 11:25
I have gone away for 4 days atm so there isnt much i can do to help. When i get back i'll do somr googling and see how you set it up. Andrew is right though, the shub is bad at the best of times and if you are going to use vpns a lot you would be doing yourself a huge favour buying yourself a proper router for ~£30

qasdfdsaq
09-03-2012, 12:54
What happens when you try the Superhub in router mode but use a cable?

AndyCalling
09-03-2012, 13:06
I can confirm that the Shub definitely works with VPNs as I actually run one from home and can connect to it fine and fast. If the firewall is off and ports are forwarded, there should be no issue. Try a full pinhole reset and if it's still broken looks like a faulty unit that needs replacing to me.

honest_john
10-03-2012, 03:02
Thanks people for your comments.

@General Maximus: thanks - I have tried googling but I couldn't turn up anything, at least nothing I could understand. If you fare any better, that would be great.

@qasdfdsaq: when I put the super hub in router mode and use a cable it works fine. There's only a problem when I try and use the super hub in normal mode so I can connect wirelessly.

@AndyCalling: that's great that you know the super hub can support VPNs properly. The firewall is definitely off, but although I have activated PPTP pass through and Ipsec pass through I haven't forwarded any specific ports. I'm also not sure how to do it, so if you could suggest which ports I needed to forward that would be great.

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 03:02 ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 ----------

the vpn funciton of shub is pretty crap just liek most of the rest of it, your best putting it into modem mode and get your own rotuer, most rotuers have decent vpn but you might want to look at a better performance one if it crucial to you

Thanks - if I follow the advice of people on here and it doesn't work then that's exactly what I'll do...

AndyCalling
10-03-2012, 17:34
I'm afraid you'll have to talk to your works to find out which ports they use. There's no other easy way of knowing.

You can test to see if this is the problem by putting your PC's IP in the DMZ in the Shub settings. If it works like that, you know it's a port forwarding issue. This is for test purposes only mind, don't run your PC in the DMZ routinely, you just need to find out which ports you need to forward from your VPN operator (ie. your works).

honest_john
10-03-2012, 19:52
Thanks AndyCalling.

I tried putting the IP (of my computer) in the DMZ in the S/hub settings, but its didn't seem to help.

It's bizarre - because I can connect to the VPN and pick up email and access work servers fine with any of the following:

1. S/hub in modem-only mode.
2. Through my phone's 3G
3. Through my parent's Airport Extreme wireless hub running into an old Virgin modem.

But if I use the S/hub as normal (e.g. connecting to it wirelessly) the VPN seems to connect fine, it authenticates properly, but I can't actually log in to any of the work servers - I just get an error message saying they don't exist/aren't present...

I've just tired using the S/hub in modem-only mode, running into an old wireless router (D-Link DIR-615). Connecting to the D-Link either wirelessly or through Ethernet, I still get the same old problem...

Infuriating!

Andrewcrawford23
10-03-2012, 20:14
Thanks AndyCalling.

I tried putting the IP (of my computer) in the DMZ in the S/hub settings, but its didn't seem to help.

It's bizarre - because I can connect to the VPN and pick up email and access work servers fine with any of the following:

1. S/hub in modem-only mode.
2. Through my phone's 3G
3. Through my parent's Airport Extreme wireless hub running into an old Virgin modem.

But if I use the S/hub as normal (e.g. connecting to it wirelessly) the VPN seems to connect fine, it authenticates properly, but I can't actually log in to any of the work servers - I just get an error message saying they don't exist/aren't present...

I've just tired using the S/hub in modem-only mode, running into an old wireless router (D-Link DIR-615). Connecting to the D-Link either wirelessly or through Ethernet, I still get the same old problem...

Infuriating!

i think andy si right that sounds liek port forwarding issue then, as when in wireless it probally need the proper port forwarded but when wired it isnt

qasdfdsaq
10-03-2012, 20:39
I wonder if it's an IP addressing conflict. What subnet does your work VPN use?

Andrewcrawford23
10-03-2012, 21:50
I wonder if it's an IP addressing conflict. What subnet does your work VPN use?

tahta a good point :) but doesnt entirely explain hwy it works in wired but nto wireless as if it was ip conflict i would have thought it would say in windows as i say stragne if it is that it works wired but not wireless

qasdfdsaq
10-03-2012, 22:01
He's not been totally clear. He says it works with the Superhub wired in "router" mode but not wireless in "normal" mode. Then he goes on about the Superhub in "modem" mode and "normal" mode without any mention of "router" mode, so I haven't a clue what he's on about.

In any case both the Superhub in "normal" mode and DIR-615 use the 192.168.0.x range by default. Most other routers use 192.168.1.x, 3G connections typically use 10.x.x.x, and modem only mode will give you a public IPv4 address.

Andrewcrawford23
10-03-2012, 22:06
He's not been totally clear. He says it works with the Superhub wired in "router" mode but not wireless in "normal" mode. Then he goes on about the Superhub in "modem" mode and "normal" mode without any mention of "router" mode, so I haven't a clue what he's on about.

In any case both the Superhub in "normal" mode and DIR-615 use the 192.168.0.x range by default. Most other routers use 192.168.1.x, 3G connections typically use 10.x.x.x, and modem only mode will give you a public IPv4 address.

yeah but the i[p range of the vpn might be where the problem is and i thought tha tis what you where meaning, rereading waht the op has said i see your poitn about the confussing i had nto really notice myself

AndyCalling
10-03-2012, 23:31
Hmm, yes. My VPN uses the 5.10.0.x range as that was the default and my lan runs on the 192.168.0.x range as that's what older Netgear products used to use by default so I've always kept it that way. IP range and subnet sounds worth investigating to me. Nice idea folks.

honest_john
11-03-2012, 02:27
yeah but the i[p range of the vpn might be where the problem is and i thought tha tis what you where meaning, rereading waht the op has said i see your poitn about the confussing i had nto really notice myself

Thanks again for your input people, and sorry for the lack of clarity. I'll try and be clearer.

As far as I understand it the S/hub has 2 main modes of operation: the "normal" one where it operates as a router (wireless and ethernet) and cable modem combined, and the "modem only" version, where the wireless and all but 1 ethernet port are disabled.

If I'm connected via ethernet cable to the S/hub when it is set in "modem only" mode, then I can connect to the work servers and access email over the VPN fine.

If however I'm connected via ethernet OR wireless to the S/hub when it is in "normal" mode I can't access any of the servers over the VPN. However, I do seem to be able to establish and authenticate the VPN connection. I just can't access any of the servers.

Is that any clearer?

There doesn't seem to be anything in the Subnet mask box on the VPN settings preference.

qasdfdsaq
11-03-2012, 02:48
If I'm connected via ethernet cable to the S/hub when it is set in "modem only" mode, then I can connect to the work servers and access email over the VPN fine.

If however I'm connected via ethernet OR wireless to the S/hub when it is in "normal" mode I can't access any of the servers over the VPN. However, I do seem to be able to establish and authenticate the VPN connection. I just can't access any of the servers.
Check the subnet used by your VPN. If you don't know how to do this, ask.

honest_john
11-03-2012, 12:54
Check the subnet used by your VPN. If you don't know how to do this, ask.

Thanks qasdfdsaq. How do you check the subnet used by the VPN?

I'm using a Mac if that makes any difference?

qasdfdsaq
11-03-2012, 13:09
Not exactly sure off the top of my head. IIRC, once you connect to the VPN, go to system preferences then network. Select the VPN connection there, and it should display... well... stuff.

Something like this page:

http://vee.im/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/mac_vpn12.png

What we need is the "IP address" from that page. If it starts with 192.168.0.something then that's your problem. If it doesn't, then that rules it out.

honest_john
11-03-2012, 14:04
Thanks very much. When I connect to the VPN the IP address does indeed start with 192.168.0......

I'm afraid I'm pretty clueless about this - what would you suggest?

Andrewcrawford23
11-03-2012, 14:17
Thanks very much. When I connect to the VPN the IP address does indeed start with 192.168.0......

I'm afraid I'm pretty clueless about this - what would you suggest?

ok since we have estbalish that it ais a pretyt easy fix

i aint 100% sure where the settign in teh shub is if someone else can point you to page in the shub or you can post a iamge of the shub logged into it i can shwo you form there

ok once we estbalish in teh shub wher ethe settign for configuration you ip address range all we do is change the default ip address range from 192.168.0.* to .1 and everyting will work fine

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

i just founa shub picture i think it will be udner the heading LAN IP

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

no it is definetely in lan ip, where ti says 192.168.0.1 change ti to 192.168.1.1 and everything should work fine make sure to press aply

honest_john
11-03-2012, 14:30
Thank you all so much!

It now works wonderfully!

I am very grateful for all the advice - I had been struggling with this for ages.

Cheers.

prasadm_d
21-06-2013, 23:42
Guys I am using Super Hub router - the latest version I suppose (not going in details)

To allow office VPN to connect, I performed the following steps:
1. Log on to 192.168.0.1
2. Go to Advance Settings > Security > Firewall > check the "IPSec Pass-through" checkbox under the Pass-through section
it wored fine for me

Qtx
22-06-2013, 00:37
Slightly off-topic but has anyone tried to connect to 2 different VPN's at the same time from different clients, through the superhub? Or to the same VPN from 2 devices independently, not going though any NAT or bridged configuration?

Know this is a problem for some routers, so just wondering how the SHUB2 handles it.

pip08456
22-06-2013, 09:11
Providing the above steps are followed there will be no problem.