PDA

View Full Version : 100M Virgin Media Fibre Optic & Modems

HJHornby
24-02-2012, 19:31
I am about to switch from BT phone broadband to Virgin Media Fibre Optic Internet, I know you get a free router with the package but i am still going to purchase an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station however for that i need a modem. I understand that virgin make the sockets in the wall coaxial so does anyone know of a cheap but good, coaxial cable to gigabit ethernet modem???

HJHornby

bubblegun
24-02-2012, 19:36
I am about to switch from BT phone broadband to Virgin Media Fibre Optic Internet, I know you get a free router with the package but i am still going to purchase an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station however for that i need a modem. I understand that virgin make the sockets in the wall coaxial so does anyone know of a cheap but good, coaxial cable to gigabit ethernet modem???

HJHornby

Just use your superhub in modem mode.

You cannot buy a modem from a 3rd party to use on cable.

Nopanic
24-02-2012, 19:37

HJHornby

Doesn't work like that, you have to use the modem supplied by VM.

Sephiroth
25-02-2012, 00:10
Then to get it all going:

This article provides instructions for attaching this router to a Virgin Media Cable Modem or Hub/SuperHub.

ATTACH AN AE/ATC ROUTER TO A VM HUB IN MODEM MODE

1/
Plug a Cat 5e ethernet cable from your AE/ATC WAN port into the first LAN port on the Hub (assumed already to be in Modem Mode Modem Mode).

2/
Plug your PC into any AE/ATC LAN port and invoke the AIRPORT UTILITY

You're now ready to configure the AE/ATC.

AIRPORT EXTREME CONFIGURED FOR VIRGIN CABLE

AE = Airport Extreme (and AIRPORT TIME CAPSULE)
AU = Airport Utility v5.5.3 or later

Check/configure:

AU
--\Manual Setup -> Supply password if needed
----\Internet------\Internet Connection
------Connect Using -> Ethernet------Ethernet WAN Port -> Automatic (Default)
------Connection Sharing -> Share a public IP address (connected to a cable modem or Modem Mode Hub)
------Connection Sharing -> Off (Bridge Mode) (connected to a non-Modem Mode Hub)

------\TCP/IP--------Confifgure IPv4 -> Using DHCP
--------IP Address -> Renew DHCP Lease (should set itself to your VM static ip-address)
--------DNS Servers -> set to the OPENDNS values. 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
--------DNS Servers -> or set to the fast Google DNS values. 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4
--------Domain Name -> should set itself to cable.virginmedia.net once the IP address lease is obtained

------\DHCP--------DHCP Beginning Address -> 192.168.1.2 (just a suggestion).
--------DHCP Ending Address -> 192.168.1.200 (This is your router's DHCP scope.)

------\NAT
--------Default -> leave blank unless you want to make a specific assignment (not part of this topic)
--------Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol -> tick

If the AE light turns green, it won’t be necessary to switch off all PCs & networking equipment and switch back on (slowly) in order, VM modem --> AE --> any Homeplugs or switches --> Finally PC/Laptop Xbox etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SETTING UP WIRELESS ACCESS

The AE router supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio modes (simultaneously) depending on the mode of the PC or other device that wishes to connect to the AE.

Configure as follows:

AU
--\Manual Setup -> Supply password if needed
----\Airport
------\Wireless
------Wireless Mode -> Create a wireless network
------Network Name -> xxxxxxx (xxxxxxx is a name of your choice.
--------Allow this network to be extended -> Do not tick this box during this initial setup
------Radio Mode -> Automatic This will allow both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz modes
------Channel: Automatic

------Wireless Security -> WPA/WPA2/Personal
------Wireless Password -> 8 to 63 characters. A connecting device will need to enter this password.
--------Remember this password in my keychain -> It's up to you. I didn't, preferring to use a memorable word

Click UPDATE to save your settings.

If you want to keep your SSID from being broadcast, then you can go into Wireless Options to make that setting.
Otherwise, at this stage, Wireless Options need not be considered. It contains options to allow you to specifiy a Region, the Multicast Rate and Transmit Power (default 100%) and a couple of other options that may be considered at a later date if necessary.

A word about Access Control. By default it is Not Enabled. In my opinion, it need not be enabled unless you've chosen WEP security which is much weaker than WPA2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick word about a blinking orange light

You might think the engineer left you in Modem Mode when in fact he hadn't. You may thus have followed the Modem Mode instructions above. You will then see the AE light blinking orange and the AU Status page will show the orange lamp against the warning: "Double NAT".

Note that you are still able to use the internet for normal browsing and if you put the AE into Bridge Mode, the light will turn green. If you definitely want Modem Mode, you'd set the SuperHub into Modem Mode, it will reboot and when everything is up and running, the lamp will be green.