PDA

View Full Version : VM Router Getting/forcing a new IP on the VMDG280?

Jelly
19-02-2012, 01:12
Recently my old Scientific Atlanta modem was replaced by a new-ish VMDG280 router-modem hybrid "hub". The connection and wireless signal seem fine, but I miss some of the functionality from my old modem; specifically the ability to get a new IP address easily.

With the old modem, I would simply have to change the MAC address of my router and it would give the modem a new IP address, but I cant see an option to change the MAC or IP of the VMDG280. Is it possible to do? I believe you can put the Hub in a modem-only mode; would this let me change IP in the same way I used to?

Rest assured my intentions are not malicious and that I am only curious as to whether it is possible.

craigj2k12
19-02-2012, 01:58
theres no modem mode for the hub at the moment, when the guys get round to updating it, it should have the functionality to do so, in the same way the modem does

qasdfdsaq
19-02-2012, 02:14
And because there's no "modem mode" you cannot force an IP change on it manually.

General Maximus
19-02-2012, 17:08
how are you changing the mac address on the modem when it has got to be registered to your account? Even if it was possible surely it should block your internet access and put you in the walled garden?

Kymmy
19-02-2012, 17:51
He said he was changing the MAC address on his router not the modem ;) and as already stated the hub doesn't have this option on the router side

General Maximus
19-02-2012, 18:03
my bad, I read it all backwards

Andrewcrawford23
19-02-2012, 18:18
it can be done but since it not a way virign would like (no nothing illegal) but it isnt a way virign would liek you to use for changing a ip then i wont say how it done, but you might find it if you do a google search

Peter_
19-02-2012, 19:00
it can be done but since it not a way virign would like (no nothing illegal) but it isnt a way virign would liek you to use for changing a ip then i wont say how it done, but you might find it if you do a google search
Er he has a hub so the is no way to change the MAC address which is what he would need to do in order to get a new ip address.

The is only one way and that is to leave the device off for a minimum of 24/48 hours in the hope that his old ip gets reassigned, probably best just before his lease gets renewed.

The other option is to ring technical support and tell them the device is dead and leave the power off and they should send out a Superhub by way of replacement which will give you a new ip out of the box.

Andrewcrawford23
19-02-2012, 19:19
Er he has a hub so the is no way to change the MAC address which is what he would need to do in order to get a new ip address.

The is only one way and that is to leave the device off for a minimum of 24/48 hours in the hope that his old ip gets reassigned, probably best just before his lease gets renewed.

The other option is to ring technical support and tell them the device is dead and leave the power off and they should send out a Superhub by way of replacement which will give you a new ip out of the box.

i said it not a way virign would like ;) i never meantioned how it can be done :p nor will i, if the op wants the informaiton google it

Peter_
19-02-2012, 19:29
i said it not a way virign would like ;) i never meantioned how it can be done :p nor will i, if the op wants the informaiton google it
All that will happen with a standard VMND280 hub is that they will lose their connection and breach the terms and conditions of their contract.

They would be better off doing as in my previous post just ring up with the device powered off and by the end of the week they will have a new Superhub.

qasdfdsaq
19-02-2012, 21:37
Y'know I'm now almost tempted to do that just to get a free Superhub before I cancel.

keepitretro
19-02-2012, 21:53
Use Mac changer on your network card, change one number or letter only, reboot modem / computer, it will either let you back on or you will be locked out, in that case ring VM tech support tell em you have no internet and they will re-initialise your modem from there end and bob's your uncle

There you go now shhhhhhhh don't you dare tell any one LOL....:angel:

Sirius
19-02-2012, 22:01
Use Mac changer on your network card, change one number or letter only, reboot modem / computer, it will either let you back on or you will be locked out, in that case ring VM tech support tell em you have no internet and they will re-initialise your modem from there end and bob's your uncle

That does not work with the hub i change my mac address's all the time on my network card when running tests and trials it has never looked me out

I like that :LOL:

keepitretro
19-02-2012, 22:07
Used to work with my trusty old vmng300 and my d-link 615, but admit i have never tried this on my hub,

And don't feel the need to as i have had 3 different ip addresses in the last 3 weeks due to VM doing local network upgrades.

Peter_
19-02-2012, 22:23
Y'know I'm now almost tempted to do that just to get a free Superhub before I cancel.
It will work because they see no working device and you are adamant its plugged in.;)

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Used to work with my trusty old vmng300 and my d-link 615, but admit i have never tried this on my hub,

And don't feel the need to as i have had 3 different ip addresses in the last 3 weeks due to VM doing local network upgrades.
Both the hub and the Superhub use their own MAC address to get the ip from Virgin Media, the Superhub when in Modem Mode will let you do that but if you manged to do anything similar on the either of the two hubs you would brick them.;)