PDA

View Full Version : ITV Player connection problem - Windows 7

cazian
19-02-2012, 00:30
I'm having a strange problem with ITV Player, on the main PC, running Windows 7. No programmes will play, just adverts.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the broadband connection itself (Virgin Media cable broadband, using a D-Link DIR-615 wi-fi router), as there is no problem playing back programmes using a Windows 7 laptop on the same network. I've tried all sorts to resolve the problem.

The other online streaming services, BBC iplayer and 4OD both work, no problems.

Windows Update is fully up to date, as is Adobe Flash. It makes no difference if I turn off Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (virus checker). The problem is the same using Firefox, IE9 and Chrome. Whether I connect the PC using an ethernet cable straight to the router or a wifi adaptor, it makes no difference.

Another strange thing is it will normally show me the adverts/sponsorship promos proceedings the programme, but normally, it will start on advert 2 of 2, 2 of 3, or 3 of 3, but never 1 of 2 or 1 of 3.

When the programme tries to play, it gives an error message within the player screen which says: "Sorry - An internet connection failure caused the video to stop. Please refresh the page to try again". Needless to say, refreshing the page doesn't work. Neither does opening and closing the browser or rebooting.

I'm in the UK, so that shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I can watch catch up ITV programmes via STV's own website without a problem at www.stv.tv (http://www.stv.tv/), but they do not carry all of ITV's output.

Anyone any ideas how this can be fixed? There doesn't seem to be any problems reaching other sites and I don't understand why it only affects one computer on the network.

This has been happening for at least a week. I hadn't tried to use ITV Player online for ages, but I'm sure it used to work in the past.

thenry
19-02-2012, 00:39
try downloading and running ccleaner

also have a clean of temp files via my computer > right click your hard drive > properties > clean up

General Maximus
19-02-2012, 08:54
i don't know what the technical ins and outs are of how this works but it is a connection orientated problem. I think when you use these sites either the site itself or the isp somehow assesses what sort of connection you are using and decides whether you are actually capable of downloading the requested content.

I have had exactly the same problem with my laptop. I have got a 1gb internet dongle with Virgin which I have for emergency use when I am at work with my laptop. When I want to watch videos on youtube, browse and pretty much do any basic internet stuff it works super fast no problemo. If I want to watch anything in excess of 10 mins I get the same error you got. As an example, I wanted to watch 2 documentaries which were on channel 4 so to start off with I tried watching them through 4OD and the advert played and then I got the error message. I then refreshed the page and had the same problem. I then headed over to youtube and I could watch any other video I wanted but that 40 minute would not work. I wanted to watch it that much that I then tried playing it through my phone (unlimited internet) and once again, the advert played but the ep wouldn't.

I think it has got something to do with the type of technlogy the phones/dongles use and maybe the isp is saying "you want to stream a 40 minute video through our network, no way", and they block it.

Something has gone wrong somewhere where ITV player is getting incorrect reports back about the type of connection you are on.

skyrocket
07-06-2012, 02:57
I'm having a strange problem with ITV Player, on the main PC, running Windows 7. No programmes will play, just adverts.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the broadband connection itself (Virgin Media cable broadband, using a D-Link DIR-615 wi-fi router), as there is no problem playing back programmes using a Windows 7 laptop on the same network. I've tried all sorts to resolve the problem.

The other online streaming services, BBC iplayer and 4OD both work, no problems.

Windows Update is fully up to date, as is Adobe Flash. It makes no difference if I turn off Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (virus checker). The problem is the same using Firefox, IE9 and Chrome. Whether I connect the PC using an ethernet cable straight to the router or a wifi adaptor, it makes no difference.

Another strange thing is it will normally show me the adverts/sponsorship promos proceedings the programme, but normally, it will start on advert 2 of 2, 2 of 3, or 3 of 3, but never 1 of 2 or 1 of 3.

When the programme tries to play, it gives an error message within the player screen which says: "Sorry - An internet connection failure caused the video to stop. Please refresh the page to try again". Needless to say, refreshing the page doesn't work. Neither does opening and closing the browser or rebooting.

I'm in the UK, so that shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I can watch catch up ITV programmes via STV's own website without a problem at www.stv.tv (http://www.stv.tv/), but they do not carry all of ITV's output.

Anyone any ideas how this can be fixed? There doesn't seem to be any problems reaching other sites and I don't understand why it only affects one computer on the network.

This has been happening for at least a week. I hadn't tried to use ITV Player online for ages, but I'm sure it used to work in the past.

---------- Post added at 01:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 ----------

Hi Cazian. ive had the same problem for weeks now, im using external torrent sites to get the programs i want to watch, but this is really doing my head in and would like to solve it, my problem is identical to urs laptop work fine but pc wont play it apart from ads i have a incoming connection of 38MB (fibre optic), i really hope someone can solve this

Regards

Sky

RealDiamond
07-06-2012, 18:06
edit : never mind just noticed the first posting date of topic.

cazian
12-06-2012, 15:18
Hi RealDiamond & skyrocket. I still haven't been able to fix the problem, despite the original posting date. If anyone has any ideas, please letme have them.

cccleaner, which someone suggested, didn't cure the problem, bu thanks for the suggestion.

nemesis01
13-06-2012, 18:46
ITV Player is hit & miss for me also on Windows 7 using Chrome, if that matters. One night it will be fine, the next it won't. I have the same problem it that sometimes it will only play 2 adverts, then sometimes it will start to play the transmission but only show 1 frame of it and then freeze. I wouldn't like to assign blame (actually I would as it's ITV, and I don't like that channel at all normally), I have no idea but it is quite annoying as I like to watch the Euro's while I am on the PS3. And no, it is still the same when the PS3 is off so that is not the cause.

Dash: CF noob
14-06-2012, 17:16
Try STV player...

fredtheted
18-06-2012, 13:02
I had a similar problem last night watching the football via my IPAD.
I kept getting cut off and had to keep rebooting to get back to the footie.
I then got a message saying I didn't have enough bandwidth. It could well be that I was 'capped' by Mr Virgin', as my download was down to 2.25 on my 10gb service, but I had no problems with BBC I-PLAYER at this period of time.