PDA

View Full Version : General Do we return to Virgin from Sky?

andip1967
13-02-2012, 13:05
Well that is the question as Sky's BB has become unbearable. VM are offering some quite good deals at the mo, so should we return and how easy it it to leave Sky and get everything set back up with VM (keeping phone number etc)

Andrewcrawford23
13-02-2012, 13:07
dnt know how easy it is to leave sky, but there no garantee they can port your number and it probally takea few weeks

alwaysabear
13-02-2012, 13:12
Well that is the question as Sky's BB has become unbearable. VM are offering some quite good deals at the mo, so should we return and how easy it it to leave Sky and get everything set back up with VM (keeping phone number etc)

If you know someone on VM BB in your area ask them what speeds they get, because there are a few areas that do have contention issues.

qasdfdsaq
13-02-2012, 13:42
Depending on what you intend to use your connection for, and availability of BT Infinity, I'd seriously consider the latter option. The only thing VM's connections are better at is downloading large files over HTTP or FTP.

Stephen
13-02-2012, 14:13
Depending on what you intend to use your connection for, and availability of BT Infinity, I'd seriously consider the latter option. The only thing VM's connections are better at is downloading large files over HTTP or FTP.
For you maybe, but my connection is great for gaming and so are most customers.

To the OP if you think BT BB is that bad then by all means see what offer VM could get you.

Tim Deegan
13-02-2012, 14:37
My TV in my living room was with Sky until recently. But I had three phone lines, 100mb BB, and TV in my bedroom with VM. So I played them off against each other, and saved about £70 per month by changing the lot to VM, with a Tivo box in the living room.

Sky tried to talk me into staying, up until they realised that there was no way they could come close to competing.

thenry
13-02-2012, 14:41
I'm with qas... Have a look if you can get BT Infinity. Theres two links posted on this forum to check what speeds you can roughly get.

Tim Deegan
13-02-2012, 14:46
This is the results for my area:

Broadband option Broadband speed range When you can get it Action
BT Total Broadband BT Total Broadband
You can get our fast and reliable broadband with speeds of up to 20Mb. The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted. Between 3.0Mb and 7.0Mb
(Estimated speed: 4.5Mb) Now Learn more
Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.

qasdfdsaq
13-02-2012, 16:27
For you maybe, but my connection is great for gaming and so are most customers.

To the OP if you think BT BB is that bad then by all means see what offer VM could get you.
It has nothing to do with me, once again these are figures taken from OFCOM's national averages. If I meant "for me" I would have written "for me". Please don't infer untrue information into my post.

"Most customers" would get a better service from BT Infinity, especially when you take into account "most customers" on VM are on 10mb or below. BT Infinity outperforms - nationally - VM 50mb for web browsing and just about every other metric other large file downloads. Every tier below 50mb doesn't even stand a chance. Even on 50mb only HTTP and FTP file downloads are consistently faster on VM.

Hornet600
13-02-2012, 18:49

VM managed to port my number over.

vmfriend
13-02-2012, 19:00
I moved from Sky about 18mths ago and ported my number, was a pretty painless experience. You will be moving from ADLS to cable and because you won't need a MAC code you don't run the risk of being without BB for a while if problems are encountered.

If you are that unsure you could keep the sky BB and sign up to VM and try it, if happy ditch sky, if not ditch VM under the cooling off period.

qasdfdsaq
13-02-2012, 20:12
Number porting is a legal requirement these days, they cannot refuse to do it without a very good reason.

SkyFTW
13-02-2012, 21:24

If your SkyBB is carp then you should definitely sack it and go elsewhere. I've gone the other way, sacked VM and gone with Sky.

Tim Deegan
13-02-2012, 22:49
Number porting is a legal requirement these days, they cannot refuse to do it without a very good reason.

Am I right in thinking that it has to be done within 7 days, or is that just with mobiles?

I have known it to be done with mobiles by the following day.

qasdfdsaq
13-02-2012, 22:53
On mobiles they have to give you the code within two hours IIRC.

Tim Deegan
13-02-2012, 23:01
On mobiles they have to give you the code within two hours IIRC.

Is that the same with land lines?

The 7 day thing with mobiles must be years out of date then.

broadbandking
16-02-2012, 08:59
VM will do whatever they can too port a customers number but in some cases its not been done due to many reason but I have seen that on a rare occasion

stereohaven
16-02-2012, 09:59

I left Sky for Virgin in October and had no problems with number porting, in fact I was without a phone line for just 3 minutes as they changed over the line!

However, I do live in a BT Infinity/Sky BB area and I am already looking to move back to Sky. TiVo is great and so is faster broadband when it works fully, unfortunately the network is just not good enough in my experience to support the services VM offer, which has caused me no end of grief and down time.

Plus, with the upcoming price rises VM is no longer cheaper than an equivalent package (albeit with slower broadband) with Sky for our needs.

Shame really, when it works it's good, unfortunately it feels like there has been one service or another that hasn't worked properly every week or so since installation. I didn't have a single issue in 4 - 5 years with Sky.

I would consider all the options and get some feedback from local VM users on service issues before making the jump, I should have.