PDA

View Full Version : 30M Power Levels

Zee
11-02-2012, 13:53
Can someone check my power levels, i've been trying since April to get my evening streaming issues fixed, now today a VM employee on the VM forum said he checked my power levels and that they were unacceptable and that an engineer will come out to fix it.

Now thing is, my SH was switched off when he/she apparently checked my power levels, now i feel like im being fobbed off for a bit of time.

i got a print screen of these power levels, can someone check for me if they are fine or unacceptable like VM said.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/02/35.jpg

djfunkdup
11-02-2012, 13:57
Power levels are spot on man......... they 'are' acceptable

What site are you having streaming problems with and what browser are you using ?

Zee
11-02-2012, 13:59
i guess they think im an idiot then, i wonder why they are wasting my time to get an engineer out to fix a problem with power levels that doesn't exist... they are funny. So whats next?

djfunkdup
11-02-2012, 14:13
Yea it does seam like a waste of your time and also the VM tech guys time as well..

was it the offshore call center or one of the uk ones ?

and again lol what browser are you using and what site/s are you having problems with

Zee
11-02-2012, 14:15
It was through the VM official forum, dont want to say the name of the person as dont wish to cause any trouble for them.

Its the usual streaming sites like Youtube, iPlayer, 4od etc... doesn't matter what browser, IE9, Chrome. I also have BT infinity and all sites work flawlessly on the same computer, using same browsers.

Andrewcrawford23
11-02-2012, 14:15
what service are you on, yoru power levels are fine but depending on the service they might be trying to get them even closer to perfect to see if that fix the issue, but the fact you have the problm in the evening suggest congestion

Zee
11-02-2012, 14:59
what service are you on, yoru power levels are fine but depending on the service they might be trying to get them even closer to perfect to see if that fix the issue, but the fact you have the problm in the evening suggest congestion

im on 30Mb package, if i was to upgrade to 50Mb would those levels still be acceptable?

when i do speed tests during the same times i get 32Mb and 3.20Mb upload so not sure about congestion.

Andrewcrawford23
11-02-2012, 15:47
im on 30Mb package, if i was to upgrade to 50Mb would those levels still be acceptable?

when i do speed tests during the same times i get 32Mb and 3.20Mb upload so not sure about congestion.

yes when you go to 100 they want teh downstream closer to 0 but on 30mb there perfect, so i aint sure why there sendinga tech unless they can see something on r** t**** that says ther emight eba problem with the outside part of the ocnnection and that what they are getitng the tech out for

Zee
11-02-2012, 16:15
yes when you go to 100 they want teh downstream closer to 0 but on 30mb there perfect, so i aint sure why there sendinga tech unless they can see something on r** t**** that says ther emight eba problem with the outside part of the ocnnection and that what they are getitng the tech out for

ok, i did upgrade to 50Mb for about 1 day but the speeds were much slower than on 30Mb so maybe that could have caused a problem too, but that was about 2 weeks ago only.

qasdfdsaq
11-02-2012, 16:41
What service you're on makes sod all difference. Out of whack power levels effects the connection on a completely different layer than your provisioned speed. The two are completely unrelated.

Sephiroth
11-02-2012, 19:39
Zee, can you post a link to your thread in the VM forum, please?

Andrewcrawford23
11-02-2012, 19:42
What service you're on makes sod all difference. Out of whack power levels effects the connection on a completely different layer than your provisioned speed. The two are completely unrelated.

yes but depending on speed will determine teh type of modem, 30mb could easily be on teh old hub, but 100mb would be the shub and they do liek the power levels closer to 0, but i really doubt that would be it they would have to seen sometihng when scannign th modem the pwor levels are pretty spot on they shouldnt be causing much if any problems

qasdfdsaq
11-02-2012, 19:44
30 mb CANNOT be on the old hub. It requires either a Superhub or VMNG300, mostly the former.

Andrewcrawford23
13-02-2012, 12:27
30 mb CANNOT be on the old hub. It requires either a Superhub or VMNG300, mostly the former.

trust me i seen people on 30mb with the old hub hence why i wanted to rule it out but either way i have no idea why virign media community forums said what they did

qasdfdsaq
13-02-2012, 12:41
30mb is a DOCSIS 3 only product, and should not be offered on the old modems as they are incapable of it (just like 50mb should never be given to someone on the old hub either).

If what you say is true, then there seems to be no safeguards against this and someone at VM is doing their job seriously wrong - what's to prevent the same person accidentally putting someone on 100mb with the old modem ('oh it's got a 100mb ethernet port it'll be fine!')

Andrewcrawford23
13-02-2012, 12:45
30mb is a DOCSIS 3 only product, and should not be offered on the old modems as they are incapable of it (just like 50mb should never be given to someone on the old hub either).

If what you say is true, then there seems to be no safeguards against this and someone at VM is doing their job seriously wrong - what's to prevent the same person accidentally putting someone on 100mb with the old modem ('oh it's got a 100mb ethernet port it'll be fine!')

i cant say about 100mb but i had seen a few sales agent put people onto 50mb docsis with old modem taht could barely handle 20mb and wrent docsis 3 capable

so it depend son teh department, tech support wont do it but sales will

qasdfdsaq
13-02-2012, 13:37
Yuck.

thenry
13-02-2012, 13:54
This is why I want to leave VM. Security is non existent. Why push towards safe guarding your network and have this going on. I bet its the same people who don't even know what an isolator is. Or it could just be an agent taking note of the MAC addy. Assholes

Sephiroth
13-02-2012, 20:44
i cant say about 100mb but i had seen a few sales agent put people onto 50mb docsis with old modem taht could barely handle 20mb and wrent docsis 3 capable

so it depend son teh department, tech support wont do it but sales will
I don't know why you haven't been called out here by anyone else.

The old DOCSIS 1.1 modems are obviously not DOCSIS 3 compliant. 50 meg is wholly DOCSIS 3. So you're pulling our plonkers - simples as that.

Andrewcrawford23
13-02-2012, 20:50
I don't know why you haven't been called out here by anyone else.

The old DOCSIS 1.1 modems are obviously not DOCSIS 3 compliant. 50 meg is wholly DOCSIS 3. So you're pulling our plonkers - simples as that.

if you say so, teh config file is thata config file sales have sent the ugrpade to old modem taht wont handle it but hey i never dealt with those type of cals it was all in my head and never existed yeah right,

thenry
13-02-2012, 20:51
What would happen if an agent sent a 30/50 config to a non docsis3 modem?

Peter_
13-02-2012, 21:03
What would happen if an agent sent a 30/50 config to a non docsis3 modem?

To put it into easy terms for you to understand please click the spoiler.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/1/31/128779132106041977.jpg

thenry
13-02-2012, 21:08
Not strictly true. Didnt VM leave themselves open in more ways than 1 when rolling out 50

Peter_
13-02-2012, 21:12
Not strictly true. Didnt VM leave themselves open in more ways than 1 when rolling out 50
A Docsis 1 modem will fall over if sent a Docsis 3 config.

Andrewcrawford23
13-02-2012, 21:13
A Docsis 1 modem will fall over if sent a Docsis 3 config.

correct and that is what happened on teh few calls i i too about it, the modem jsut stops working and it jsut about impossible to fix without the modem being replaced meanign the cusotmer is offlien for ages until there install all because of over zealous sales agent

Peter_
13-02-2012, 21:18
correct and that is what happened on teh few calls i i too about it, the modem jsut stops working and it jsut about impossible to fix without the modem being replaced meanign the cusotmer is offlien for ages until there install all because of over zealous sales agent
All you had to do was get Customer Services to downgrade them back to their previous tier and send out the correct device, average call length less than 10 minutes, plus you had a happy customer once again.

In most cases it was an offshore error but we did get onshore making the same stupid mistake as well.

thenry
13-02-2012, 21:18
If thats the case then please do me a favour before your kicked out of VM. Send every non docsis 3 modem active on the network a docsis3 config.

Zee
13-02-2012, 21:20
Zee, can you post a link to your thread in the VM forum, please?

The message was sent by the representative through private message so the reply is not public, but even if it was i wouldn't want to cause trouble for anyone, only wanted to know why would they want to waste my time if everything is fine.

Peter_
13-02-2012, 21:20
If thats the case then please do me a favour before your kicked out of VM. Send every non docsis 3 modem active on the network a docsis3 config.
Have you not noticed my signature changed as of last Friday and I did mention it in the Happy thread and the Albert Dock is closing thread that I am no longer an employee.;)

Plus technical support had nothing to do with setting the correct tier of service it was customer services.

thenry
13-02-2012, 21:23
What a shame

Peter_
13-02-2012, 21:25
The message was sent by the representative through private message so the reply is not public, but even if it was i wouldn't want to cause trouble for anyone, only wanted to know why would they want to waste my time if everything is fine.
I expect it will be one of the new 2nd line form Swansea, some of them are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/02/29.jpg

Andrewcrawford23
13-02-2012, 21:29
All you had to do was get Customer Services to downgrade them back to their previous tier and send out the correct device, average call length less than 10 minutes, plus you had a happy customer once again.

In most cases it was an offshore error but we did get onshore making the same stupid mistake as well.

i knew how to do it ;) just the one time i had it no one was willing to do it because it meant they had mroe work and it also meant hte install date was pushed back

Peter_
13-02-2012, 21:42
i knew how to do it ;) just the one time i had it no one was willing to do it because it meant they had mroe work and it also meant hte install date was pushed back
If one agent refused then all I would do was hang up and ring again because getting it sorted out first time was the way I worked and getting no for an answer was not good enough for me, I doubt that many others would bother but that is how I worked and why I achieved my bonus.

In most cases it had nothing to do with an installation as it was the agent activating the uplift instead of sending out the correct kit.

Andrewcrawford23
14-02-2012, 07:33
If one agent refused then all I would do was hang up and ring again because getting it sorted out first time was the way I worked and getting no for an answer was not good enough for me, I doubt that many others would bother but that is how I worked and why I achieved my bonus.

In most cases it had nothing to do with an installation as it was the agent activating the uplift instead of sending out the correct kit.

trust me i never took no for a naswer ;) that particualer call end up taking me 45 minutes ;)

but it end up being because of hte muck up of the sales agent the person was on old ambit modem i think ambit 120 the grey ntl ones, sorting ou thte ocnfig file wheni finally got someone to do it was the easy part but they did say they need to canel teh intall and then the next available one wss a week later so i had to ask the cusotmer what they wanted they decided to just wait for the50mb