PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Activating upgrade & modem only settings

cookie_365
10-02-2012, 19:04
I'm upgrading from 10Mbs to 30Mbs and the superhub has just arrived.

I already have a wifi router so just want the superhub set up as a modem like my existing 255.

I haven't called the activation number yet and haven't yet swapped out the 255.

There's a guide on the VM site on setting Modem Only option but it seems to assume that you already have the superhub set up as a router.

So what's the process for installing it as a modem from scratch? Do I activate first, or set the modem status first, or what? I assume the superhub won't see the internet until I activate but presumably I'll be able to browse to the modem settings page.

thenry
10-02-2012, 19:09
I don't know whether you could do this...

power up the SH

connect via ethernet

login, defaults
username, admin
password, changeme

advanced settings below the 3 boxes

to your left at the bottom it'll say modem mode

enable modem mode > let the SH reboot then power down

then screw in the coaxial, power up and call to activate it.

the SHs modem mode wan port is the one closest to the coaxial in

craigj2k12
10-02-2012, 19:15
i would activate it first, before setting it up to modem mode, when you set it up, it will have to download the latest firmware, plus the fact you want to know your internet is set up and working which you will find out much easier if your in router mode

cookie_365
10-02-2012, 20:25
Thanks both.

Peter_
10-02-2012, 20:33
You cannot set the Superhub to Modem Mode unless it has first been activated.

The reason why is simple, by default all Superhub's have firmware version R19 preinstalled but Modem Mode is only available with firmware version R30, so you need to get it activated in order for the device to download the correct firmware which is done automatically once it retunes to the correct CMTS.

cookie_365
10-02-2012, 21:53
You cannot set the Superhub to Modem Mode unless it has first been activated.

The reason why is simple, by default all Superhub's have firmware version R19 preinstalled but Modem Mode is only available with firmware version R30, so you need to get it activated in order for the device to download the correct firmware which is done automatically once it retunes to the correct CMTS.Then that's what I'll do :)

Thanks Peter

cookie_365
11-02-2012, 19:54
As suggested I activated it first, then set it to modem only and swapped my old router back; seems to be working fine :)