PDA

View Full Version : 30M Which could download more..

New to cable
09-02-2012, 19:27
Ok I'm sure someone here maybe able to do the maths..

Over a 12 hour period say 12 noon until 12 midnight which could download the most.A £27.50 a month Virginmedia 30Mb connection or a £7.50 a month Sky ADSL connection running at around 14Mb/s.

The sky connection is completely unmanaged the VM would hit management.

qasdfdsaq
09-02-2012, 19:38
Assuming you're downloading at full speed, you'd be able to download 50% more on Sky.

New to cable
09-02-2012, 19:54
Yeah I guess you'd need both running max speed to know for sure.

Here is my 50Mb current speed and it will be like this until around midnight, same every single evening from 6pm till after midnight.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/02/73.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Still I canceled today so just 30 days to go.

qasdfdsaq
09-02-2012, 20:12
Wanna see my 50mb?

Sephiroth
09-02-2012, 20:20
ISn't the Sky system contended and so speeds would self throttle as everyone else piles in?>

kwikbreaks
09-02-2012, 21:08
I was on UKOnline a few years back who ran on the same infrastructure as Sky but have since been closed down. There was never any visible contention.

They hacked me off on pricing (new customers £5 less and no reductions for existing) and wouldn't let me leave early despite some issues with their IWF filter blocking several file lockers entirely. I tied to get kicked off and ran the http://www.majestic12.co.uk/ crawler flat out for 3 months until my contract was up. That used terabytes a month and they never batter an eye and neither did it slow down.

I've heard that Sky don't have any noticeable contention either and suspect it's true.

qasdfdsaq
09-02-2012, 21:44
I tied to get kicked off and ran the http://www.majestic12.co.uk/ crawler flat out for 3 months until my contract was up. That used terabytes a month and they never batter an eye and neither did it slow down.
Yikes.

Though I'm tempted to try run that on a farm of 10-gig servers just for some extreme e-peen.

Sephiroth
09-02-2012, 22:15
The Sky forum is fullof speed issues. Contention or what?

New to cable
09-02-2012, 22:30
The Sky forum is fullof speed issues. Contention or what?

Yeah I checked the Sky forums before I signed up to Sky, it seems 95% of people with issues are on "Sky Connect" which is a BT IP Stream service.

That's like being on Virginmedia's ADSL service. The full unbundled Sky unlimited service is what I am on which is on Sky's 100Gb fibre backbone:D

The old UK-Online infrastructure but massively expanded and not contended when compared to Virginmedia's contention issues.[COLOR="Silver"]

thenry
09-02-2012, 22:44
Whats that link all about in simple words kwik?

satellite-man
19-02-2012, 00:40
Wanna see my 50mb?

lol hows it that fast or are you taking the pee ?

qasdfdsaq
19-02-2012, 00:49
8mb isn't fast.

satellite-man
19-02-2012, 02:55
my bad i saw you signature & thought it was your speed lol

kwikbreaks
19-02-2012, 07:28
Whats that link all about in simple words kwik?Only just saw this.

The project is run by somebody I met up with on a forum in a different life. His dream is to produce a community search engine where all the crawling (information gathering) is done by volunteers on their own connections rather than as a commercial enterprise which can control search results for its own ends.

IMO it's a laudable aim but I don't believe it can ever actually succeed. It's been running years now and last time I looked there was no viable search engine although it has indexed vast numbers of URL.

thenry
19-02-2012, 13:29
so your connection continues to max out with that running?

you say its a search engine yet it hasnt really taken off so how does your line max out.. is it the way its programed.. to leech onto all your available bandwidth ?

Andrewcrawford23
19-02-2012, 18:20
so your connection continues to max out with that running?

you say its a search engine yet it hasnt really taken off so how does your line max out.. is it the way its programed.. to leech onto all your available bandwidth ?

i dnt think the program use bandwith, it so to say open source search engine whent he search bit is done, the only way it miht be maxing out your bandwidht is when it trawls a website and makea copy locally on the user computer

thenry
19-02-2012, 18:36
i dont fully understand... underlined bold below...

I was on UKOnline a few years back who ran on the same infrastructure as Sky but have since been closed down. There was never any visible contention.

They hacked me off on pricing (new customers £5 less and no reductions for existing) and wouldn't let me leave early despite some issues with their IWF filter blocking several file lockers entirely. I tied to get kicked off and ran the http://www.majestic12.co.uk/ crawler flat out for 3 months until my contract was up. That used terabytes a month and they never batter an eye and neither did it slow down.

I've heard that Sky don't have any noticeable contention either and suspect it's true.

im curious how it works.. could you explain in simple words please

Andrewcrawford23
19-02-2012, 18:51
i dont fully understand... underlined bold below...

im curious how it works.. could you explain in simple words please

ok ill try please bear in mind not only do i talk in weird techincally way but i also talk in generally unusual way that most people do not understand if wha ti say doesnt make sense ask ill try explain better or point toa website with informaiton, if someoen want to tcorrect me and say wha ti am saying is wrong please post links ;) craig did ;)

ok web crawlers are basically programs that trawls websites, when they get to the website most look for a file called robots.txt and respect what it says and only follow links it is allowed.

so lets take this for example

the robots.txt says follow images, links, videos and pages folders, but says do not follow cgibin or scripts

the program then descendes into each folder and copy the data it sees to the server it is workign for, in this case the sevrer for the above program is your computer, so yoru coputer then host a copy of what the site allows you to see

it repeats thtis for all folder until it has a complete copy of what it is allowed to copy

once you have this local copy the program is able to search through the say html files and find information on the page link all teh above in my post, then when a call comes in it will then post the resulst of what it has found

the data alone for copying coud be huge as ther eis some bit sites out there, and the amount of data it could upload if it was provide a cache service is huge as well as then when you search and use athe cache you go to user comptuer not the website host

does that make sense?

thenry
19-02-2012, 19:04
yeah perfect thanks man