PDA

View Full Version : 100M Homeplugs

borrissey
08-02-2012, 21:58
Hi,

I use homeplugs with modem and seperate D link router. How can I test the speeds of my homeplugs? Such as the transfer rates?

Xtinguish
08-02-2012, 22:07
I use the TP Link homeplugs and they come with software that when installed on your pc, enables password setting and changing, plus full transfer rate monitoring. You will need to instal any software that came with your homeplugs before you can get any stats.

borrissey
08-02-2012, 22:16
I've got Solwise ones, I've just ordered new 500mbps ones so when they arrive I'll install the software on my PC that comes with them. Cheers.

thenry
08-02-2012, 22:31
Using the system connected via the plugs open IE and log on to thinkbroadband > tools > ddownload a test file

Xtinguish
08-02-2012, 22:49
Connect via your homeplugs to http://www.speedtest.net/ and pick a server not too far away from you and it will give you a pretty good idea of your speed.

TheNorm
09-02-2012, 06:00
Connect via your homeplugs to http://www.speedtest.net/ and pick a server not too far away from you and it will give you a pretty good idea of your speed.

That should be done twice - once through the Homeplugs, and again without them.

bomber_g
09-02-2012, 08:57

If you want to test the speed of your homeplugs - IE to see how fast they are internally - put IPERF or something similar on two PC's at either end of them, set them both to static IP's and test between them.

Using an external site will test the homeplugs, the router you use, the internet connection and everything between you and the speed test server....

kwikbreaks
09-02-2012, 09:09
I use the TP Link homeplugs and they come with software that when installed on your pc, enables password setting and changing, plus full transfer rate monitoring.The software that comes with homeplugs doesn't show the tranfer rate it shows the sync rate which is very different. Figure on dividing it by about 3 to get an approximation of what the transfer rate might reach. The only way to know the actual transfer rate is by measuring it by timing a transfer between machines although Windows itself gives reasonable numbers in the task manager.

Andrewcrawford23
09-02-2012, 10:02
If you want to test the speed of your homeplugs - IE to see how fast they are internally - put IPERF or something similar on two PC's at either end of them, set them both to static IP's and test between them.

Using an external site will test the homeplugs, the router you use, the internet connection and everything between you and the speed test server....

this is hte only true way to test it, if you have vista or win7 it will tell oyu the transfer rate in MB/s so if oyu have the 500mb ones you should get up to maximum of 60MB/s but ther eis other factosrs liek yoru hard disk read an rite speed etc

qasdfdsaq
09-02-2012, 11:22
An easier option is just to copy files from one computer to another internally, it's not as accurate as iperf but a hell of a lot easier to set up for most people.

borrissey
09-02-2012, 11:50
My PC is connected via ethernet from router but under task manager - networking link speed is a 100mbps. Is that right because my router has gig ports?

kwikbreaks
09-02-2012, 11:58
Perhaps the PC doesn't have gigabit or it could be a faulty cable. Somebody also posted here that the Superhub doesn't correctly negotiate link speed but the jury is still out on that one.

Andrewcrawford23
09-02-2012, 12:23
My PC is connected via ethernet from router but under task manager - networking link speed is a 100mbps. Is that right because my router has gig ports?

are you talking about eh shub? or a router you have bought?

also there is plenty of reaosn why you mgiht not getting at gigabit but you nee dot test each one teh first is your comptuer got a gigabit ethernt connection if not then you need one, if it does then test with another cable, if that doesnt work then if oyu have a shub you need to contact support get them toe run some test adn then possible replace it, if it your own rotuer i would suggest trying a naother ocmptuer iwht gigabit if it has the same problem then contatc the vendor of the rotuer

if you unsure if oyru ocmptuer has gigabit go to device manager and select the entwork itnerface it will tell oyu there

borrissey
09-02-2012, 12:23
Perhaps the PC doesn't have gigabit or it could be a faulty cable. Somebody also posted here that the Superhub doesn't correctly negotiate link speed but the jury is still out on that one.

Could be but PC is only 5 months old you'd think it would have a gig port. It's a cat 6 cable going from the router to PC.

I'm using the VMNG300V2 Modem and D link DIR 655 router.

Andrewcrawford23
09-02-2012, 12:24
Could be but PC is only 5 months old you'd think it would have a gig port. It's a cat 6 cable.

I'm using the VMNG300V2 Modem.

is it a direct conenction to the vmng? if so then vmng is gigabit, if not what router are you using?

pc should have gigabit but some sotil have 100mb for cheapness, check in device manager

borrissey
09-02-2012, 12:32
is it a direct conenction to the vmng? if so then vmng is gigabit, if not what router are you using?

pc should have gigabit but some sotil have 100mb for cheapness, check in device manager

Yep ethernet from modem to router. Then homeplug running off router in port 1. Port 2 to PC. D Link DIR 655.

How do I check if it's 100mb or a Gig on PC?

Andrewcrawford23
09-02-2012, 12:35
Yep ethernet from modem to router. Then homeplug running off modem in port 1. Port 2 to PC. D Link DIR 655.

How do I check if it's 100mb or a Gig on PC?

go to device manager

it will tel you the make and model of the internal card if yoru unsure post wha tit says here

borrissey
09-02-2012, 12:45
go to device manager

it will tel you the make and model of the internal card if yoru unsure post wha tit says here

Sorry I haven't got a clue what I'm looking for? I'm on device manager now.

It's a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

qasdfdsaq
09-02-2012, 13:01
GBE = GigaBit Ethernet

borrissey
09-02-2012, 13:09
GBE = GigaBit Ethernet

Thanks.

My Sony laptop is saying the same 100mbps under Task Manager, that was with a 200mbps homeplug different cable cat 5e. It was 65mbps with wireless.

I'm lost here...

Andrewcrawford23
09-02-2012, 13:28
hold on are you conent the comptuer through homeplug then to the rotuer? if so you womt get gigabit no homeplug does gigabit you will get 100mb even the ones rated at 500mb since there not gigabit will prevent the comptuer negeitioing to gbit from wha ti have seen of them before

borrissey
09-02-2012, 13:42
hold on are you conent the comptuer through homeplug then to the rotuer? if so you womt get gigabit no homeplug does gigabit you will get 100mb even the ones rated at 500mb since there not gigabit will prevent the comptuer negeitioing to gbit from wha ti have seen of them before

This is my set up VMNG300 modem to D Link DIR 655 router ethernet cable cat 6. Router port 1 ethernet cat 6 cable to PC. Port 2 ethernet cat 5e cable 500mbps homeplug. Port 3 ethernet cable to External HDD. Then I've got homeplugs for 2 PS3's, 2 blu ray players, 2 TiVOS and TV. Then I got laptop, 2 iPhones and an iPad on wireless.

Under task manager networking i'm getting 100mbps on PC wired and 65mbps on laptop wireless.

desi112
09-02-2012, 13:45
The connection wont say above 100mbps because the homeplug can only connect at 100mbps to the PC. I know this is a bit confusing but , 200mb, 500mb plugs will only connect to the pc at 100mbps! even if you have a gigabit ethernet card.

They are sold as 200/500 as the plugs are meant to be able to talk to *each other* at this speed.

Andrewcrawford23
09-02-2012, 13:50
This is my set up VMNG300 modem to D Link DIR 655 router ethernet cable cat 6. Router port 1 ethernet cat 6 cable to PC. Port 2 ethernet cat 5e cable 500mbps homeplug. Port 3 ethernet cable to External HDD. Then I've got homeplugs for 2 PS3's, 2 blu ray players, 2 TiVOS and TV. Then I got laptop, 2 iPhones and an iPad on wireless.

Under task manager networking i'm getting 100mbps on PC wired and 65mbps on laptop wireless.

try put tha tina drawing it sia bit ocmplex to under stand, all i need to see if the setup form the router to comptuers adn homeplugs

wireless speed isnt a exact science you can be right next to it and get 11mb and then be at the amximum distance and ge tthe full 300mb speed, although doesnt always happen liek that and generally there is something potential wrong to cause that but end of the day it isnt exact your speed is thegenerally sot of speed to recive from n anthing from 54-130mb on wirelss n is typical but you can get less and more

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

The connection wont say above 100mbps because the homeplug can only connect at 100mbps to the PC. I know this is a bit confusing but , 200mb, 500mb plugs will only connect to the pc at 100mbps! even if you have a gigabit ethernet card.

They are sold as 200/500 as the plugs are meant to be able to talk to *each other* at this speed.

yeah hecne why i want to see his setup in drawing because it is confusisng if wha ti am reaidn right his pc is gigabit and is conencted with cat6 cable direct tot her router he should get gigabit if not there multi reasons why not and isnt always easy to diagnosis liek this because trying to givea basic explantion of what you want a user ot do and get the information need isnt the easiist

borrissey
09-02-2012, 13:57
Its not hard to understand lol, Modem to Router ethernet cable, Router to PC ethernet cable.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/02/75.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Andrewcrawford23
09-02-2012, 14:12
Its not hard to understand lol, Modem to Router ethernet cable, Router to PC ethernet cable.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/02/75.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

it is when you start talkign abotu homeplug to ps3 etc, ok well try another comptuer or laptop to the rotuer directly, after makign sure it is gigabit if ti doesnt set right then contact dlink they will domre tests

borrissey
09-02-2012, 14:31
Its the PC I took the ethernet cable out of the back of the PC and plugged it into my laptop show 1gbps. How do I sort it please?

EDIT: Thats weird it's now showing 1gig!!

thenry
09-02-2012, 14:34
might be configured incorrectly..

within device manager > click on the ports properties > and have a look at the tabs, link speed, advanced etc.

drivers may need updating too.

qasdfdsaq
09-02-2012, 14:38
might be configured incorrectly..

within device manager > click on the ports properties > and have a look at the tabs, link speed, advanced etc.

drivers may need updating too.
What he said.

And stop PM'ing me when you have a thread open about it.

borrissey
09-02-2012, 14:41
touch of an elf in Taylor..