PDA

View Full Version : Next door neighbours Virginmedia installation

Dazf42
07-02-2012, 21:08
I live in a terraced house and have had Virginmedia cable broadband for over a year and my next door neighbour has had Virginmedia services installed today. I've come home from work and found that the VM installer has installed a cable from my outside box to my neighbours outside box. Is this normal practise?

Sirius
07-02-2012, 21:49
I live in a terraced house and have had Virginmedia cable broadband for over a year and my next door neighbour has had Virginmedia services installed today. I've come home from work and found that the VM installer has installed a cable from my outside box to my neighbours outside box. Is this normal practise?

Short answer NO.

Arthur Hucksake
07-02-2012, 23:22
Always wondered what the score was on that. NTL did it years ago to us at an old address.

Dazf42
07-02-2012, 23:49
I have been onto VM and the technical guy that I spoke to informed me that it was not normal parctise and they are sending out a Technical Engineer tomorrow afternoon to take a look. I will keep this post updated.

essjay
08-02-2012, 01:14
On service many many years ago we used to do this to restore service. I have know some lazy installers do this.

nodrogd
08-02-2012, 11:14

This is only usually done if there are construction issues, and it should then only be used as a temporary fix. Unfortunatley some installers use it as a shortcut to avoid pulling another cable where a shared tee is used.

andy_m
08-02-2012, 14:51
Do you mean the box on your wall where the cable enters your house, or the cover (triangular in my case) on the pavement directly outside your house where the cable surfaces? If its the latter then this is normal practice and each one can support five houses depending on the amount of kit in each.