PDA

View Full Version : 50M High utilisation in area

JamesBond
06-02-2012, 19:25
Hi, ive had the 50meg service for ages now but since November at peek times it goes down to 14meg or lower, ive been told by service techs 4times now thats its down to high utilisation in the area, where virgin media have sold too much bb in area, is this true has anyone else have this problem?
its not being throttled back but due to high utilisation

Andrewcrawford23
06-02-2012, 19:30
Hi, ive had the 50meg service for ages now but since November at peek times it goes down to 14meg or lower, ive been told by service techs 4times now thats its down to high utilisation in the area, where virgin media have sold too much bb in area, is this true has anyone else have this problem?
its not being throttled back but due to high utilisation

high ulisation isa issue, but it more generally with uplaod ulisation the problem is with, once they fully roll out upstream bonding (basically way to easy congestion) it hsould be better as well as using the shub to it fullist

General Maximus
07-02-2012, 08:59
as well as using the shub to it fullist

and when the speed is available the shub will keel over because it won't be able to handle it :LOL: (and before anyone corrects me, I know it technically can, but we all know it won't)

Andrewcrawford23
07-02-2012, 09:58
and when the speed is available the shub will keel over because it won't be able to handle it :LOL: (and before anyone corrects me, I know it technically can, but we all know it won't)

lets hope it doesnt :D and they get a a newer version of the vmng300 or cisco off the shelf one :D

kwikbreaks
07-02-2012, 10:24
Congestion has become a problem in more and more areas recently. Strangely it seems to coincide with VM launching 100Mbps unlimited on infrastructure that simply can't support it.

qasdfdsaq
07-02-2012, 11:13
To some people that's not such a strange coincidence at all.

In fact, it's not strange, OR a coincidence.

Chrysalis
07-02-2012, 16:57
comedy for my high utilisation.

kwikbreaks and others who are interested here is the update.

1st ticket went missing as posted before
2nd ticket got escalated but then got cancelled due to utilisation slightly dipping temporarily
3rd ticket raised and my service is now apparently fixed and I have been moved, thats some good magic VM moving me without an outage. I am also now apparently "way below" high utilisation thresholds. according to online VM tech support. For the record my service is not better and I am still on the same segment and US channel.

yet the ceo office fed me another story I am apparently in the planning stage and work is going ahead.

so yeah this can most certianly drag on for months, now will all these opening and closing of tickets stop me from going to the regulators at week 8, I will find out soon.

My gut guess is no work was done and the ceo office work is probably the basic work been done for the speed doubling.

qasdfdsaq
07-02-2012, 17:26
To Infinity and beyond!

kwikbreaks
07-02-2012, 17:28
I'm past caring. For me VM have blown it and I'll move on as soon as I can get Infinity or before if it gets so bad they can't even deliver 10Mbps reliably.

sm66
08-02-2012, 23:20
I'm past caring. For me VM have blown it and I'll move on as soon as I can get Infinity or before if it gets so bad they can't even deliver 10Mbps reliably.

I've been on cable for over 10 years and will apply for an alternative at the weekend once I've looked at the options. I'll post about it then, but basically they have now refunded nearly half my bills over the last 12 months, and I've just been told, after getting line quality F yet again, that the service in my area won't be fixed before mid April.

I'm in London. And on the 10mb package.

qasdfdsaq
09-02-2012, 11:13
There are a few companies using BT's FTTC infrastructure that offer "Infinity" products with guaranteed minimum speeds - somewhere around 12-16mbps - for a few quid a month extra.

To me, the fact that the option is there speaks tons.

kwikbreaks
09-02-2012, 12:59
I'm close enough to the local cab to get pretty much the full 40Mbps when it's ready. The BT Infinity brand will not be sold unless BT can guarantee a minimum of 15Mbps - I think BT sell it then as fibre assisted Total BB or some other such catchy name.

BT certainly shape Infinity 24x7 but that doesn't bother me. From what I've seen reported it's rather like the old fixed speed broadband was - no obvious contention.

I'll checkout the options nearer the time but from what I've seen most are more expensive and impose quite low hard download caps. There's a while to go til I can order and although VM have earned my wrath I'm not too proud to stay with them if they've got their act together by then and Infinity is starting to look a lemon. IMO those are both mighty big ifs

qasdfdsaq
09-02-2012, 13:09
I should mention the guaranteed minimum 15mbps you mean would be line sync speed - not throughput. What I'm talking about is guaranteed minimum download speed all the way through to the internet, at peak times. While your line can hit 40, congestion can make it lower, and although congestion is still unheard of on Infinity, they'll guarantee a minimum of 12 or 16mbps, even in the absolute worst case scenario. Not that it's needed.

As for traffic shaping, BT do *not* shape Infinity 24/7. According to their own info, they only shape P2P, and only at peak times. There is no visible contention, no fair use limit, no throttling, and no caps. No shaping of anything other than P2P - newsgroups, for example are specifically exempt from traffic management.

For £25 a month, 40 down and 10 up (and pretty much guaranteed zero jitter on the upstream) truly unlimited, with virtually no traffic shaping, it's really hard to beat. Really hard. And they're offering the upgrade free to existing 20mb DSL customers on all but the lowest packages.

(And so continues my yo-yo'ing back and forth between cable and DSL every year)

Chrysalis
10-02-2012, 00:01
From what I have read about on infinity.

They have the min garuantueed speeds. Although not a SLA sort of thing where people get refunds but they will consider it faulty if the min speed is breached.
They throttle p2p download speeds during peak which is 16 hours or so a day.
Someone has reported p2p upload throttled 24/7 although this is just a single person so far.

For the most part latency looks very stable on infinity, not 100% perfect but nevertherless good enough for gaming latency sensitive apps.

The issues that I have seen that give me some concern is noise is still a possible fault on FTTC, just that it is less likely as the ali/copper run is much shorter. Automated profiling is still used so its possible to be on interleaving with higher base latency as well as looping between different line modes which I have seen for some people.

When I sign up I will keep cable alongside initially just incase I get problems.

Now bear in mind as well if shaping is a big no no then FTTC can be had on other isp's like aaisp and idnet who both have no protocol shaping but usage caps instead.

New to cable
10-02-2012, 00:24
High download speeds are about to become less important I think. My Mrs works for a large publishing company an is hearing is SOPA fails then film company's have MIILIONS of dollars ready to take action on downloads.

They "might" pull the information of XXX amount of down-loaders per country/Territory and really make an example of them in the courts. So a hundred or so poor fools per country are about to find themselves in the High-court being sued for everything they own

This will stop a lot people downloading illegally and if there is no need to steal film ect where is the need for 50/60/80/100Mb?

---------- Post added at 00:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:23 ----------

High download speeds are about to become less important I think. My Mrs works for a large publishing company an is hearing if SOPA fails then film company's have MIILIONS of dollars ready to take action on downloads.

They "might" pull the information of XXX amount of down-loaders per country/Territory and really make an example of them in the courts. So a hundred or so poor fools per country are about to find themselves in the High-court being sued for everything they own

This will stop a lot people downloading illegally and if there is no need to steal film ect where is the need for 50/60/80/100Mb?

kwikbreaks
10-02-2012, 07:46
..if there is no need to steal film ect where is the need for 50/60/80/100Mb?Surely you can't be suggesting that VM's business plan hinges entirely around illegal downloads?

General Maximus
10-02-2012, 08:50
"ok, we have got 200,000 customers that want to download the latest HD movies from the piratebay. How fast can we roll out 1gbit?"

qasdfdsaq
10-02-2012, 13:16
Because customers who won't pay for their media are willing to pay for top of the range broadband.