PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Broadband price rises

denphone
02-02-2012, 17:54
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/feb/02/virgin-media-broadband-price-increase

Virgin Media increases broadband prices from April 1st

Cable giant ups price of packages just months after promise to double broadband speeds for free

Virgin Media is to up the price of its broadband packages, three months after it said it was doubling its customers' speeds for free.

In early January, the cable giant announced it would double the speed of its broadband service for more than 4 million of its customers. The upgrade, which begins this month, will also see the service's top speed increase from 100Mbps to 120Mbps.

tridens
02-02-2012, 18:30
TV L going up £2.00
BB L going up £1.50

MY bill will go up £3.50 that's about 9.7% increase
well done virgin i think all this hipped adverts of doubling your speeds but we as customers have to pay for it no FREE Dinner

We are making a number of changes to our phone usage charges:

-We are changing the time when our daytime rate begins. This will move from 6am – 6pm, to 7am to 7pm.
-The standard Call Connection fee is increasing from 13.24p to 14.94p
-The local and national daytime calling rate for all our standard talk plans is changing from 8.68p to 9.94p
-For customers on Talk Off Peak, the evening rate is increasing from 5.1p to 6.1p

qasdfdsaq
02-02-2012, 18:47
Excellent, just shows their definition of the word "free" is just as loose as their definition of "double" and "everyone".

Nicosia
02-02-2012, 19:19
not much of an increase .. 1/2 £ is nothing but its still an increase and for what reason?

Milambar
02-02-2012, 19:49
Where is a breakdown of the price changes? I've not got anything in my inbox, and they normally email details of price changes.

tridens
03-02-2012, 00:14
I got the info from virgin customer retentions today also reading the tivo charge is going up from £3 to £5 for new customers and later for everyone i think if that's true £5.50 increase in the bill is to much maybe time to leave virgin

andrewstevenson
03-02-2012, 02:48
I got the info from virgin customer retentions today also reading the tivo charge is going up from £3 to £5 for new customers and later for everyone i think if that's true £5.50 increase in the bill is to much maybe time to leave virgin

I heard that and thank god I'm on VIP as there is no payment increase as the TiVo fee is wiped but VIP customers watch because the TiVo fee is added but credited in total deductions, keep an eye so virgin media mistakes don't cost you. And it seems they are punishing lower spending customers disgusting, price increases but no new channels, increase lower package customers to cover better speeds and charge high connection fee to push customers to talk unlimited what next

kwikbreaks
03-02-2012, 07:30
If the phone charges are your concern cancel the line and call package and swap over to VOIP. I did that as soon as my phone minimum contract term was up - the only reason I took it in the first place was to get a cashback which required it plus a free install which would have been chargeable at the time for BB only.

hjf288
03-02-2012, 09:30
Virgins latency/jitter is too unstable to rely on VOIP during the evenings judging by some areas utilization.

buckleb
03-02-2012, 11:16
I got a letter this morning, stating the changes to prices.

As a 100Mb customer the total cost of my package, after increases and reductions are taken into account, will be going down by £5.55 a month (from April 1st).

I'm already on paperless billing, so the 25p a month increase for paper bills doesn't affect me.

To be honest, the couple of quid a month increase by itself would not force me to reconsider my services anyway.

Milambar
03-02-2012, 12:10
I want to know by how much my package (30MB XL broadband, Phone M, TV M) will be changing. Come on VM, publish the details.

Nicosia
03-02-2012, 12:12
I want to know by how much my package (30MB XL broadband, Phone M, TV M) will be changing. Come on VM, publish the details.

they already have...

Milambar
03-02-2012, 12:13
Not anywhere that I can find, they haven't.

BenMcr
03-02-2012, 12:15
and later for everyoneThere is nowhere that has been said. The only change is for new TiVo boxes ordered after end of Feb.

Come on VM, publish the details.
Because of the way the bundles work there isn't a way to cover the details for everyone online. You'll get an email and/or letter with the details of the overall changes to your bundle

Milambar
03-02-2012, 12:19
I'm sorry, but that suggests the prices will be tailored to each individual person, and I find that hard to believe.

In the past they have always published a table that says stuff like:

Broadband L - £1 increase per month.
Broadband XL - No change.

etc.

That is what I'm looking for. because if they are going to price themselves out of my price range, I need to action it asap. After all, I have only 7 days from a change in the contract terms and conditions to reject them without penalty. They have announced that the contract is changing, therefore the 7 days clock is already ticking as I understand it.

BenMcr
03-02-2012, 12:23
I'm sorry, but that suggests the prices will be tailored to each individual person, and I find that hard to believe.

In the past they have always published a table that says stuff like:

Broadband L - £1 increase per month.
Broadband XL - No change.

etc.Except, depending on what bundle you are on or move to the price change isn't that specific. Virgin show the bill as a 'bundle' and 'phone line', so that's what the price change communications also reflect

That is what I'm looking for. because if they are going to price themselves out of my price range, I need to action it asap. After all, I have only 7 days from a change in the contract terms and conditions to reject them without penalty. They have announced that the contract is changing, therefore the 7 days clock is already ticking as I understand it.
You have 30 days as per the terms and conditions, always have for a price change.

Milambar
03-02-2012, 12:25
Okay, so 30 days, but the clock is still ticking, with no specifics announced to enable us to judge if the changes are fair and affordable.

BenMcr
03-02-2012, 12:26
Okay, so 30 days, but the clock is still ticking, with no specifics announced to enable us to judge if the changes are fair and affordable.
The 30 days don't start until you get your price change communication, again same as it's always been.

Alan Fry
03-02-2012, 12:29
They better expand their fiber optic area after this!

chrisjones
03-02-2012, 13:24
A price hike was always on the cards to be fair. That said, the timing sucks as I've jut upgraded to TiVo... Might jump ship to Sky for F1 if VM plan to up my bill :-(

qasdfdsaq
03-02-2012, 13:44
One more week till I get confirmation on my Infinity then I'll see what VM retentions say about these price rises ;)

Milambar
03-02-2012, 18:52
I don't mind a price hike, I just need to know how much its going to be, so that I can drop the phoneline if needed, especially since it never gets used, it was taken to qualify for a bundle. Or otherwise budget for it.

Hugh
03-02-2012, 19:33
They better expand their fiber optic area after this!Or else what?:confused:

qasdfdsaq
03-02-2012, 20:26
Or else he might say something else.

pabscars
03-02-2012, 20:57
Or else what?:confused:

Yeah, it kind of threw me a bit too,

I still don't get the connection :confused:

AndyCalling
03-02-2012, 21:07
It's a bit rich, VM making loads of valuable UK support staff redundant and then charging me extra for the privilege. Surely if VM are reducing their wage bill and the service (more Indian support) then I should be getting a price reduction?

Sounds like VM shareholders have finished wringing what they can out of the staff and have started on me.

VM take note: Wages are not going upwards at the mo. It is not a good idea to encourage your customers to make VM package downgrading or cancelling the next tough decision they have to make to keep the heating on. When I get my email I may well have to think about downgrading from 50meg to 60meg (you know what I mean...). I'm hoping not, but I fear I may have to. This is not the best way to get my money. Please rethink.

Chrysalis
03-02-2012, 21:38
VM the king of lies eh?

BenMcr
03-02-2012, 21:48
It's a bit rich, VM making loads of valuable UK support staff redundant and then charging me extra for the privilege. Surely if VM are reducing their wage bill and the service (more Indian support) then I should be getting a price reduction?
Would point out that although the Liverpool centre is going, they are recruiting in Swansea (https://www2.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_virginmedia01.asp?s=pyAxDIfSqHTyVvHqn&jobid=74052,8987482349&key=43376847&c=235423410288&pagestamp=segruvcyvewuxmrips) and Manchester (https://www2.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_virginmedia01.asp?s=FoQnTYvIgXJoLlXgd&jobid=73638,1402887887&key=43376847&c=235423410288&pagestamp=segruvcyvewuxmrips#) so the overall UK headcount is not going down

Horizon
03-02-2012, 21:54
Excellent, just shows their definition of the word "free" is just as loose as their definition of "double" and "everyone".I wonder if they'll be a complaint to the ASA. You can't say free, then raise prices. Totally false advertising.

Oh, and I got my "free" bit of bumf through the post today from Mr Bolt informing me of my "free" upgrade. Yet, VM say its too costly to send out paper bills for "free"...

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

They better expand their fiber optic area after this!A ltttle tip, mostly of it ain't fibre optic.:) Just plain old coaxial.

AndyCalling
04-02-2012, 00:03
Would point out that although the Liverpool centre is going, they are recruiting in Swansea (https://www2.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_virginmedia01.asp?s=pyAxDIfSqHTyVvHqn&jobid=74052,8987482349&key=43376847&c=235423410288&pagestamp=segruvcyvewuxmrips) and Manchester (https://www2.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_virginmedia01.asp?s=FoQnTYvIgXJoLlXgd&jobid=73638,1402887887&key=43376847&c=235423410288&pagestamp=segruvcyvewuxmrips#) so the overall UK headcount is not going down

Well, good news for me as a customer. Not such good news to the cable boffins of Liverpool. I'm still suspicious as to why the VM bigwigs felt the need to make life so hard for their Liverpool workers. I'll bet some pinstriped pockets got filled somewhere along the line.

qasdfdsaq
04-02-2012, 02:39
To save money, like every other business is trying to do at the moment.

a01020304
04-02-2012, 05:11
how much will BB XL (30mb) without phone be ?
i only got my upgrade from 10mb 2 weeks ago, am welll MOD EDIT:off by this now as if it does rise cannot afford it, when i called CS and got the upgrade they never mentioned the prise rise despite me specifically saying i had a strict budget and could not go over a certain amount.
if it does rise will i be able to revert back to 10mb and get my discounts and refund of the activation back.
as there is no way i will want to stay on the 30mb packange if it does rise.

Maggy
04-02-2012, 10:06
Please do not avoid the swear filter.In fact please don't swear at all as this is a family forum and it is against this sites T&Cs.Failure to comply will result in infractions being issued.

kwikbreaks
04-02-2012, 10:19
Isn't this just the normal annual price increase? At least this one seems to be limited to L BB and phone charges only. If anybody thinks the prices are too high surely the answer is obvious?

Sirius
04-02-2012, 10:37
Isn't this just the normal annual price increase? At least this one seems to be limited to L BB and phone charges only. If anybody thinks the prices are too high surely the answer is obvious?

Agreed, If i was in that postion i would be looking now.

nodrogd
04-02-2012, 14:49
The BB increases were on Mediaboys' Blog for a while, but were hastily removed before I could make any notes:scratch:. Think the XL increase was £1.50 !

denphone
04-02-2012, 14:54
The BB increases were on Mediaboys' Blog for a while, but were hastily removed before I could make any notes:scratch:. Think the XL increase was £1.50 !

They will be back when he gets the full correct information from his sources

greeninferno
04-02-2012, 15:24
For those on retention deals like myself that have had the letter stating a price rise , does this invalidate the contract giving you 30 days to cancel?

yorkshireborn
04-02-2012, 18:58
our monthly bill is around £70 dependant on calls made my bill would rise to £77 amonth
i think its time to go freesat
keep the bb
lose the land line

should save £40 a month

Milambar
04-02-2012, 20:26
Its interesting the number of people taking about "lose the landline", but I wonder...

It is my understanding that if you don't take a landline with VM, you have to pay the full rate for broadband, thus negating any saving you might think you'd make.

Its my understanding the full rate for a standalone broadband comes to the same as the discounted rate + landline, give or take a £ or two. Could anyone confirm that?

Kymmy
04-02-2012, 21:07
Its my understanding the full rate for a standalone broadband comes to the same as the discounted rate + landline, give or take a £ or two. Could anyone confirm that?

There's about £4 difference

bubblegun
04-02-2012, 23:01
There's about £4 difference

Is that save £4, if you don't have landline?

There is nowhere that has been said. The only change is for new TiVo boxes ordered after end of Feb.

How long are Virgin likely to keep a price differential in place?
It's really just going to annoy both new and existing customers that they are paying more. To pretend that such a price differential will not be equalised in the long term in just plain dishonest.

TBH
Sky, Virgin and BT (and whoever Competitors) prices will go up each year people will just need to stop getting annoyed about it.
It WILL happen most years.
You can speak to each company's retention teams and they can promise a price but if the price goes up then this will change. (Get over it.)

qasdfdsaq
05-02-2012, 03:35

For me it ended up quite a bit cheaper taking the landline as it was £37 without and £40 with, but taking the bundle gave me 3 months free and a £100 bill credit in the first year - i.e. many discounts are only open to those taking a bundle and makes the bundle work out cheaper.

Now the year's over I'm ditching the landline. We've never even had a handset plugged into it ever since it was installed.

Harryn9000
05-02-2012, 03:47
funny thing is i have said i would lose the land line coz the bill are nearly 400 quid every month most of it is calls made on land line my advice get a call bar on saved me more in the long run

kwikbreaks
05-02-2012, 09:09
Is that save £4, if you don't have landline?Yes about that but if you actually use the phone there are far bigger savings to be made. I have caller id so I can easily see if I want to answer or not. VM charge £2 for that (if you can get it) - free on Vonage along with lots of other handy optional extras free such as blocking calls with no caller id. Anytime calls - VM charge £8 or £9 - Vonage is £5.99 for anytime free geographic calls. It works well even on VMs abysmal jittery BB and I'll probably keep it instead of using BT calls when I move to Infinity.

Tuvoc
05-02-2012, 10:19
Yes, Sky offer Caller ID free for example. Virgin phone is very expensive for extras. Anytime, £8 for Virgin, £5 for Sky.

I'm certainly considering dropping the VM landline, but my house alarm uses it and I'd have to pay the alarm people to switch it to a new Sky/BT line, and their call-out isn't cheap.

But broadband will stay for sure, although BT Infinity is coming in a few months so that is a possible alternative.

Foo Fighter
05-02-2012, 12:01
any idea if 30mb will be going up? For the extra £5 a month i might upgrade from 10mb...

your better off getting a sip phone like a cisco 7940 and connecting it to sipgate, you can choose a geo number and recieve calls. You can also ring freephone out. Saves a few quid a month.

kwikbreaks
05-02-2012, 12:17
VOIP is certainly cheaper than VM but I don't know of any that offer free calls to landlines. I do have a voip analogue telephone adaptor which I used to use before moving to Vonage which I found to be cheaper overall.

Chrysalis
05-02-2012, 13:22
VM are aweful for phone value, and its the cost they keep pumping up every year to make it even worse.

qasdfdsaq
05-02-2012, 13:44
Not to mention caller ID is free on all mobiles for £0 a month.

Tuvoc
05-02-2012, 14:26
VM are aweful for phone value, and its the cost they keep pumping up every year to make it even worse.

Yes, and if you don't take the phone, they bump up their broadband charges to the extent that it is usually better to take the phone. i.e. the phone subsidise the broadband

Sky up to 20Mb is £7.50 per month I think, and great phone prices. Bargain if you are not too far away from the exchange and can get 14-15. Which is all most people actually need

tridens
05-02-2012, 16:47
HI i found this about the price increase

https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/price-changes.html?buspart=DMail_3

Efour
05-02-2012, 17:54
well if the price increase is on the L broadband i might as well move upto XL sooner rather than later, absorb the little extra cost for the sake of a further upgrade to 100mbit.. one day in 2013.. which i find frankly comical living in London.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the increases intention. getting a little more extra revenue sooner rather than later too.

VM is still a jitter fest and far from ideal for VOIP or id be using it right now.

qasdfdsaq
05-02-2012, 18:21
I don't foresee any means through which VM will stop being a jitter fest any time soon. By last count, BT Infinity's upstream jitter was something like a hundred times lower than VM.

Given that this time next year BT may well be offering me gigabit fibre while VM continue to struggle with 120mb, I know where my money will be going...

Wild Oscar
05-02-2012, 18:43
No surprise to be fair .. VM are not the only company putting their prices up!!

I don't use the phone that much , but I do get the free TV service with it as part of the 'bundle' , so I can't drop it since I would lose my discount!

As for the 50mb .. I'm more than happy with it .. rock solid on 2 machines , one wireless!!

daveyg99
06-02-2012, 01:29
The price hikes are hardly bank breaking; for sure, with some people that may be different. Most suppliers will sneak higher charges by stealth at some point once they have sucked you in. This is rip off Britain after all, you all should be used too that by now surely?

Chrysalis
06-02-2012, 02:49
I don't foresee any means through which VM will stop being a jitter fest any time soon. By last count, BT Infinity's upstream jitter was something like a hundred times lower than VM.

Given that this time next year BT may well be offering me gigabit fibre while VM continue to struggle with 120mb, I know where my money will be going...

I cant see it improving also.

The most likely future is likely the speed upgrades already announced with 200mbit within 18 months.

8 DS channels (which wont do much for jitter).
Bonded US channels which I think will be existing channels. This may help jitter a small amount but what it stops people doing is if there is a inbalance of load hopping onto a channel that has low load.
Existing traffic management with more generous STM on the new tiers.

It seems the new traffic management that was rumoured may not be happening, I hope I am wrong but any info on it has just stopped. We know STM is staying on the speed doubling as its been verified it will double with the speeds.

Things that 'may' happen that could significantly improve jitter.

New US channels used for the bonding.
New node split program.
Traffic management v2 which isnt based on protocols so cant be evaded.

Ultimately the main problem is VM using 90% utilisation as a threshold for capacity upgrades, that is way too high, its just 1.8mbit of upstream bandwidth when any user on the top 3 tiers can exceed that by themselves. This is the threshold before they will even start planning which then can take many months until work is done.

The superhub I will mention again also, I notice this one is jittery even when tbb looks ok at dusk hours. Not as bad as the older superhub I had but its more jittery than the vmng300. So the device isnt helping either in my view.

Efour
06-02-2012, 02:56
Yep, when the speed "doubles" around here i expect it to become a quagmire again, with another 6+ months waiting for them to decide that a node split is needed.

Surely by then FTTC will have reached my cabinet... ?! Sky are supposedly getting involved to offer a FTTC service/package. It might finally be a real alternative.

Chrysalis
06-02-2012, 02:59
Heh yeah, FTTC here by end of 2012 according to BT. That may have delays of course but I would bet that will come before any meaningful congestion relief from VM.

kwikbreaks
06-02-2012, 07:43
Is everybody looking at the same Get of of Jail Free card - Infinity? Why have VM so seriously lost the plot? My connection was good for a year.

roughbeast
06-02-2012, 08:28
Excellent, just shows their definition of the word "free" is just as loose as their definition of "double" and "everyone".

I think we have to look at price rises and free upgrades as two separate issues.

I would not be surprised if any commercial outfit such as VM had to put some of its prices up from time to time.

The free upgrade remains just that.

qasdfdsaq
06-02-2012, 09:03
Is everybody looking at the same Get of of Jail Free card - Infinity? Why have VM so seriously lost the plot? My connection was good for a year.
Mine's already ordered.

BT have demonstrated in the last year they are investing heavily to stay ahead of the game with Infinity - both massively improving coverage area as well as massively improving network capacity and performance. Over the same period, VM's average speeds have gone down, not up.

Actions speak louder than words. Especially in my area, where action that was claimed 14 months ago still hasn't been done by VM.

Chrysalis
06-02-2012, 10:38
sky are joining in now although their offering appears to be the weak 2mbit upload variant according to tbb.

Infinity is the king it seems but there is alternatives so when I go FTTC infinity isnt a given yet.

Tuvoc
06-02-2012, 12:47
Infinity is of course why VM are doubling their speeds for free, becuase they realise they have some serious comptetition now. And Infinity is brand new, all new equipment etc, so it will surely be very reliable and in the medium term uncongested. If Infinity are competitive on price, then that takes away the last reason why I am loyal to VM. I may not move away from VM, but at least there is an alternative now.

Dush
06-02-2012, 13:29
Sky's launching their FTTC service for £20, completely unmanaged and unshaped. But it's only 2.5mbit up.

Soon as I'm able to I'm jumping on that. I've been very happy with my VM connection until about 6 months ago where the speed at prime time has been rubbish. So I'll move to Sky and reading about their backbone upgrade I'm confident they can support the speed.

I do wonder how VM will compete, perhaps it's time they jumped into FTTC or FTTP.

BenMcr
06-02-2012, 13:35
perhaps it's time they jumped into FTTC or FTTP.There is no need for them to do either at the moment - especially as the existing technology has been tested at up to 1.5Gbit http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/Stories/Virgin-Media-delivers-world-s-fastest-cable-broadband-2131.aspx

Alan Fry
06-02-2012, 14:17
There is no need for them to do either at the moment - especially as the existing technology has been tested at up to 1.5Gbit http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/Stories/Virgin-Media-delivers-world-s-fastest-cable-broadband-2131.aspx

When would VM launch 1.5Gb broadband?

Would it require a change from FTTC to FTTB?

BenMcr
06-02-2012, 14:19
When would VM launch 1.5Gb broadband?

Would it require a change from FTTC to FTTB?
It won't launch anytime soon. The point of it was to prove that the existing infrastructure can do up to 1.5Gbit without digging the whole thing up.

It would proably need different kit at each end of the cable though (definately need a new modems)

Alan Fry
06-02-2012, 14:36
It won't launch anytime soon. The point of it was to prove that the existing infrastructure can do up to 1.5Gbit without digging the whole thing up.

It would proably need different kit at each end of the cable though (definately need a new modems)

How fast can the current VM FTTC network can go up to?

BenMcr
06-02-2012, 14:37
How fast can the current VM FTTC network can go up to?The SuperHubs can do up to 400Mbit

kwikbreaks
06-02-2012, 14:52
So long as there are 8 downstreams and only one person using them at a time. Plus qasdfdsaq would give you an argument on whether the processor is up to handling that.

Cable can provide headline speeds but VM have already amply demonstrated in many areas that they can't provide the local bandwidth to handle the number of modems they cram on a node. Providing the necessary bandwidth may well not be commercially viable.

qasdfdsaq
06-02-2012, 15:01
The SuperHubs can do up to 400Mbit
Debatable, the core's spec sheet says 320mbps.

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

So long as there are 8 downstreams and only one person using them at a time. Plus qasdfdsaq would give you an argument on whether the processor is up to handling that.

And that too. While I personally think it's an idiotic idea, I've been told that the possibility that VM intend to run 400mbps on 8 downstreams and allow a single user to take up the entire capacity of 200+ homes is, not negligible.

And yes, VM have trialled 1.5Gbps, though quite how many customers they can serve at 1.5Gbps without node splitting themselves into debt-ridden oblivion is... well... debatable again. And of course, the feasibility of bonding 32 channels on DOCSIS3 in a large widespread deployment... I wouldn't want to be the network engineer expected to make that work, that's for sure.

Alan Fry
06-02-2012, 15:14
Could the VM Fiber Optic Network do 200mbps, as of now?

BenMcr
06-02-2012, 15:15
Could the VM Fiber Optic Network do 200mbps, as of now?From a purely technical standpoint? Probably yes.

Could Virgin Media launch a 200Mbit product as of now, no.

Chrysalis
06-02-2012, 15:21

Cable can provide headline speeds but VM have already amply demonstrated in many areas that they can't provide the local bandwidth to handle the number of modems they cram on a node. Providing the necessary bandwidth may well not be commercially viable.

But the infrastructure is there, Ben just said. :rolleyes:

Alan Fry
06-02-2012, 15:23
From a purely technical standpoint? Probably yes.

Could Virgin Media launch a 200Mbit product as of now, no.

Why not?

BenMcr
06-02-2012, 15:26
Why not?Because higher speeds require more than just whether the network is technically capable, it requires capacity to support customers running at those speeds.

Same will be true for the BT 300Mbit product. It may well be technically capable of 300Mbit, but without the capacity to support it won't ever go that fast

Alan Fry
06-02-2012, 15:30
Because higher speeds require more than just whether the network is technically capable, it requires capacity to support customers running at those speeds.

Same will be true for the BT 300Mbit product. It may well be technically capable of 300Mbit, but without the capacity to support it won't ever go that fast

Well I hope Virgin will bring 200Mbit+ broadband soon!

qasdfdsaq
06-02-2012, 15:54
I hope VM bring out a spaceship to Mars soon.

Foo Fighter
06-02-2012, 17:34
so no 30mb price rise?

kwikbreaks
06-02-2012, 18:53
Because higher speeds require more than just whether the network is technically capable, it requires capacity to support customers running at those speeds.What a pity VM didn't consider that before launching 100Mbps unlimited....

leezer3
06-02-2012, 19:03
Well, that and the utterly horriffic state of my internet in the evenings has decided me.
I'm off to Sky unlimited LLU :)

Based on friends and their estimate, I should be hitting about 15meg not 10, cheaper and with a ping that works.

Tuvoc
06-02-2012, 19:54
Well, that and the utterly horriffic state of my internet in the evenings has decided me.
I'm off to Sky unlimited LLU :)

Based on friends and their estimate, I should be hitting about 15meg not 10, cheaper and with a ping that works.

Never been an option for me, they say my line speed will be between 5 and 11 meg, and then the actual speeds will be less. But FTTC from Sky/BT would be well fast enough. Faster than my 20Mb with VM, but I don't need faster, just at least as good as.

Matth
06-02-2012, 22:18
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16905703
Looks like ADSL prices might be set to drop, while VM are planning to increase theirs, and speed upgrades as and when.

BenMcr
06-02-2012, 22:20
Looks like ADSL prices might be set to drop, while VM are planning to increase theirs, and speed upgrades as and when.Can't see a drop of £4.09 for broadband and £2.78 for Telco PER YEAR will have much impact on any provider

New to cable
06-02-2012, 23:33
Can't see a drop of £4.09 for broadband and £2.78 for Telco PER YEAR will have much impact on any provider

If its per customer and you have 1 million customers then a saving of £4'000'000-£6'000'0000 a year is pretty significant wouldn't you agree?

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

Can't see a drop of £4.09 for broadband and £2.78 for Telco PER YEAR will have much impact on any provider

If its per customer and you have 1 million customers then a saving of £4'000'000-£6'000'000 a year is pretty significant wouldn't you agree?

gba93
07-02-2012, 09:31
If its per customer and you have 1 million customers then a saving of £4'000'000-£6'000'0000 a year is pretty significant wouldn't you agree?

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

If its per customer and you have 1 million customers then a saving of £4'000'000-£6'000'000 a year is pretty significant wouldn't you agree?
But the question is a saving for whom - £4,000,000 for me great; £4 for me why bother :confused:

qasdfdsaq
07-02-2012, 11:11
That's in the same ballpark of how much VM are putting their prices up by.

BenMcr
07-02-2012, 11:14
That's in the same ballpark of how much VM are putting their prices up by.Not really. The reductions OFCOM want to make are per year, not per month. Broadband one is about 34p a month

qasdfdsaq
07-02-2012, 11:19
57p a month if you include the phone charges that you have to pay for xDSL, compared to £1 a month increase on VM's "most popular broadband package"

Itshim
07-02-2012, 13:51
Infinity got me the discount, at least I think it was the straw that etc. When I called retentions. BT still chase me & refer to my Virgin service !!! next year who knows what I will do. Sky/freeview & Infinity is looking good - but thats a long time away. Hint- hold the discount & hold me !!!

AndyCambs
07-02-2012, 14:00
Looks like ADSL prices might be set to drop, while VM are planning to increase theirs, and speed upgrades as and when.

Looking at this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16924004), is a price drop the right thing to do?
Interesting view.

GhostMjr
08-02-2012, 15:24
Just got an email about this.

My service costs £35 atm for 50mb vm.

They have said theres an increase of £2.25 in an email to me today.

Within the customer news release they aren't openly publicising the increase and stated : Full details of how these changes will impact you are detailed within the recent communication you have received.

New to cable
08-02-2012, 15:43

Within the customer news release they aren't openly publicising the increase and stated : Full details of how these changes will impact you are detailed within the recent communication you have received.

Can I ask are you only on 50Mb and the price increase is just for your 50Mb?

Martin_D
08-02-2012, 16:39
They have said an increase of £0.25 for me but am in a new 12-month contract.. :)

50mb
XL TV
TiVo(2)
(1)V box
XL Phone

GhostMjr
08-02-2012, 16:40
Can I ask are you only on 50Mb and the price increase is just for your 50Mb?

Hi, i am on 50mb only yes and price increase is for 50mb only.

Sleeper919
09-02-2012, 04:37
Martin Dee, could I ask how much you currently pay for your package as it is?

Martin_D
09-02-2012, 15:06
Going up to£80.71 :)

Kabaal
09-02-2012, 16:40
Just had the email telling me mines going up by £4.25 a month. Currently i pay around £38 a month for the phone and 50mb so that'll be up to £42/3 now. If my upgrade to 100mb is done by april like is stated i won't mind so much but if it's not then it seems a bit costly, considering i still haven't even had the upload speed upgrade i don't hold out much hope for the 100mb being done in a timely fashion.

qasdfdsaq
09-02-2012, 16:48
Mine's going down by £41.90

The Programmer
11-02-2012, 17:11

I've just got a letter from Virgin saying that my bundle is going up by £2.25 as well. I also only have only 50mb and currently pay £35 per month. This doesn't seem to match the fact that Virgin are saying it is going to be £34.75.
Does anyone know what is going on as despite Virgin saying that they will give a full explanation of the increase all that they actually say is "The cost of your bundle charges will increase by £2.25." That is hardly a full explanation.

Tuvoc
11-02-2012, 18:25
Mine up by £3.70, but I'll cut out paper billing, saving £1.50, so £2.20. I'll get an upgrade from 20Mb to 60Mb for the £2.20, so no complaints here. Yes that was supposed to be a "free" upgrade, but who cares. For £2.20 that is a bargain. Just a couple of months back they quoted me an extra £15 per month to go from 20Mb to 50Mb. I didn't proceed, that was too expensive. Now I get it for £2.20 instead of £15.

Kabaal
11-02-2012, 20:40
If i were to drop my package from my current 50 meg to the current 30 meg, and get a 10 bump to 60 in the process i'm assuming ill save money? Not too chuffed at the £4.25 rise on my 50 and 100/120 is likely going to be more than i'd need anyway.

hjf288
11-02-2012, 23:23
I was on 50Mbit and got one saying that prices will increase by £2.25 so the new 100Mbit tier without phone will be £37.25 ?

Skie
11-02-2012, 23:42
Mines going up by £5.25

Of course, I have no idea if that's accurate or not because of how mangled my bill has become over the years of call centre muppetry. Also nice of VM to hide all the per item charges now, too. Bunch of doorhandles.

http://planetdawnofwar.com/vmcrazybill.jpg

I actually just have a Tivo box, phone and 50meg. But reading that you would think the house is full of VM boxes :dozey: I'm guessing the "increase" quote is actually just quoting how much those non-existent services are going up but ignoring the discount being applied to negate them.

Chrysalis
12-02-2012, 07:02
mines going up by £3.25 and I pay around £30-35 each month (including a supposed 50% discount as compensation for broadband high utilisation). Seems a lot for an oversubbed service. Also no caller id which I think I will soon need as I keep getting missed calls on my landline.

So £30-35ish for 30mbit broadband half price
bottom tv package
bottom phone package

the landline has next to no outgoing calls on it.

seems right?

qasdfdsaq
12-02-2012, 17:10
50% off huh. Nice. I'll try blagging that out of them next week

Skie
12-02-2012, 18:54
Infinity due here in March. Perfect timing to change or get a discount.

New to cable
12-02-2012, 19:20
mines going up by £3.25 and I pay around £30-35 each month (including a supposed 50% discount as compensation for broadband high utilisation). Seems a lot for an oversubbed service. Also no caller id which I think I will soon need as I keep getting missed calls on my landline.

So £30-35ish for 30mbit broadband half price
bottom tv package
bottom phone package

the landline has next to no outgoing calls on it.

seems right?

Well the bottom TV package is M and is free so full price for 30Mb with bottom TV and phone package is £32.40 or if you have M+ TV its £41.90.

Chrysalis
13-02-2012, 09:15
The bottom one without going to retentions I meant, officialy M doesnt exist its M+.

Wild Oscar
13-02-2012, 10:58

chrome
13-02-2012, 13:14
just had the letter from virgin and ours is going up by £3.50, thats for

XL Tv
30 Meg bb
phone line basic

is that price right cause it does not give a break down ?

Tuvoc
13-02-2012, 13:23
just had the letter from virgin and ours is going up by £3.50, thats for

XL Tv
30 Meg bb
phone line basic

Sounds right, mine was £3.70 for
XL Tv
20 Meg bb
phone line basic plus anytime and other extras.

Chrystal86
15-02-2012, 16:04

I received an email today notifying of my price increase of £2 per month and it does not give a break down of what this is for. All I have is from users posts that TV M+ is going up by £0.50 and BB L is going up by £1.50, but I would have liked this explained in the email, or at least a link at the Virgin website. I have some links given in the email but none list the break down, just info about call charges.

AaronCooper
17-02-2012, 14:35
30mb BB (no phone-line) £28.50 to increase by £1.50 so it'll be £30.00 a month.

Yet a new customer can have the service at £27.50 a month, that's after the new customer 3 month discount of course.

It's only £2.50 difference but i don't see why virgin aren't loyal to their existing customers. Funnily enough i cannot complain to them either as the phone call will cost more than the price increase itself, last time i was on the phone to virgin it was close to £9 for the call.

lumatrix
18-02-2012, 11:26
What a fix up. I complained bitterly when VM ceased to quote separate prices for bundles. Nobody cared. Now they send an unspecified increase saying it will be described in my April bill AFTER I am due to pay it. So no chance to quit the relevant service before I have paid the first month. It is perfectly apparent that they are creaming payments from customers who would quit or re-negotiate the price before paying for an increase. Very creative accounting. I am sure the person who thought of this scheme has been promoted.

Fspiders
18-02-2012, 11:35
Got a my increased price letter today and it says mine is going up by £4.60 a month!! No idea why mine is going up so much!! I'm on a vip50.

I take it that because of this I'm entitled to downgrade my package even though my contract is not at an end?

Regards.

P.S. Just had a great phone session with VM and from April I get a rolling credit of £4.60 per month for 12 months to cover the price increase.. I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised at the help and recompense I've received.... A happy chappy :)

Wild Oscar
18-02-2012, 13:34
It's only £2.50 difference but i don't see why virgin aren't loyal to their existing customers. Funnily enough i cannot complain to them either as the phone call will cost more than the price increase itself, last time i was on the phone to virgin it was close to £9 for the call.

It's always been that way as far back as I can remember!

As for the phone if you use the 18866 or 18185 services you should save a load!!

www.call18866.co.uk/
www.18185.co.uk/

Begall
20-02-2012, 17:07
Erm, I got a letter today saying my price would rise by £2.25 a month. I have 50MB BB/Lowest tier phone and I thought the price increases were only applying to 30MB BB?

Chrystal86
20-02-2012, 18:22
I want a breakdown from them personally. I am reading all sorts online from different people about what the new charges are for and for how much etc.
I have L broadband, M+ TV and M phone line, I pay my bills by direct debit and do not receive paper billing. It's frustrating that they haven't supplied the breakdown to customers prior to the new charges!

I sent them an email and this was their reply

Thanks for your e-mail to Virgin Media querying the breakdown of the
price change for your account.

We're sorry to hear that you're unable to view these details online.

It looks like the password you gave us doesn't match the details on your
account.

For security reasons, we can provide the details to know how the price
change will affect your account and can update your contact e-mail
address on our records once we receive the correct customer verification password (CVP) from you. This is to make
sure there's only one person accessing your details – and that's you.

I obviously don't remember my password! so had to email them again yesterday and supply my latest bill amount and am now awaiting a reply. Maybe it would just be easier to phone them.

AndyCalling
20-02-2012, 18:31
Erm, I got a letter today saying my price would rise by £2.25 a month. I have 50MB BB/Lowest tier phone and I thought the price increases were only applying to 30MB BB?

Interesting. I have the same as you (+ clid on the phone @ £2.05 & the free 0870/0845 price reduction pack they gave out to many a short time ago) and I have received no such communication. I am paying the standard rate quoted on the VM web site.

Can I ask, what were you paying for your 50meg+basic phone package before they quoted an increase? Could it be that they are now removing any discounts people have?

I'm half expecting them to want to increase my package cost by trying to charge for the 'free for life' 0870/0845 pack as they told me that would become chargeable if I make any changes to my package despite the claim that it would be free for the life of the account when it was provided originally. I am expecting the speed increase to trigger that trick so I'm already preping for the argument.

But, so far, it seems they aren't contacting me about any price rise so I might still be safe. It's hard to tell, as there seems to be no standard price rise. Some people are being contacted about a rise but such rises appear to be individually tailored to each customer contacted. Kind of like a VM 'Reverse-Tickle' (fnar!) or something.

Let's hope I manage to avoid getting reverse-tickled, I'm happy as I am.

Begall
20-02-2012, 18:39
I am/was paying £35/month, which was a price I got in a virgin retail store that was a little bit cheaper than what was available on the website. It was explained to me that the phone line came free with the BB. I suppose this could be cutting out that discount.

Skie
20-02-2012, 20:17
I hope someone complains to Ofcom over Virgin completely obfuscating their bills and the price rise. Its crazy that a company thinks that hiding individual charges and then sending out a vague price rise letter is acceptable.

I guess the superhub team were put in charge of the billing system.

Chrysalis
21-02-2012, 07:54
yeah the price rise should have been broken down.

alexcopeland
21-02-2012, 11:30
yeah the price rise should have been broken down.

I agree strongly and found I had to call customer services after recieving my letter of a rise to clear things up. My bundle is around £110 per including 50Mb broadband. The letter stated a £4.25 rise from April. After speaking to the rep on the phone I discovered my XL TV package was to go up by £2 and the 50Mb broadband service to increase by £2.25.

Chrystal86
21-02-2012, 11:38
Just wanted to update... I got a reply to my email from Virgin today and they have explained the breakdown of my £2 bill increase. My M+ TV is going up by 50p and my L (10Mb) internet is going up by £1.50

I quote:

Hi ***,

Thanks for your e-mail to Virgin Media about the recent e-mail you've received regarding the price change from the 1st April 2012.

We're sorry to hear that you are unable to view the changes for the TV and Broadband services.

From the 1st April 2012 we’re changing some of our prices to make sure we continue to give our customers the best home entertainment and
services.

The monthly charge for the TV Size M+ package will increase by 50p to £7.00, for Broadband Size L will increase by £1.50 to £27.50.

EDIT:
Just realised something here, I don't actually currently pay £6.50 for my TV and £26 for my internet. I have TV, BB and phone line and my bill comes to £33.90 per month (it was £30 per month until the price increase last year). So I'm taking these prices (£7 and £27.50) are the prices charged for new customers?

Kabaal
21-02-2012, 12:19
I agree strongly and found I had to call customer services after recieving my letter of a rise to clear things up. My bundle is around £110 per including 50Mb broadband. The letter stated a £4.25 rise from April. After speaking to the rep on the phone I discovered my XL TV package was to go up by £2 and the 50Mb broadband service to increase by £2.25.

Hmm, £4.25 was the number they sent me too, yet i cancelled my TV package a while ago as i never watch it and currently have the 'freeview' version of it. If they're going to increase my bill higher because i have that then i'll quite happily give it up completely.

BenMcr
21-02-2012, 12:23
So I'm taking these prices (£7 and £27.50) are the prices charged for new customers?£7 is the price of M+ for everyone from 1st April

£27.50 is the undiscounted price for BB L on the system, and if you have a phoneline hasn't been sold at the price for at least 5 years i.e. it always comes with an adjustment.

Griffin
21-02-2012, 13:28
I for one am glad i left in January, fair enough the BB speed that i was getting 30M package is ahead of anything else, although BT infinity is very close with a faster upload speed. The tv was the main reason for me leaving as i always found the HD channels were not as clear as standard def on the sky HD box.
End result i am with sky now & they will be offering fibre round this area with 40mb speeds & completely unlimited speeds with no fair usage allowances.

Kymmy
21-02-2012, 14:37
Will be interesting to see what I end up paying.. Ordered 50Mb back in January with an install date early March (was waiting for my 90 days notice on VMB) Contract states the prices as 28.90 for 3 months then 38.90 for the rest of the contract.. I've had no notice of any price increase directly from VM..

Wild Oscar
21-02-2012, 22:09
Got my email re. price rise today .. going up by £2.25!

50Mb broadband
Standard phone line
free TV (with phone line)

Paid by DD and no paper bill.

thedavid2007
22-02-2012, 02:00
Sneaky to move the cheap phone time from 6pm to 7pm. Loads of people will still think 6pm is the cheap time to phone. And pressing 1471 followed by 3 costs money now. Time to get rid of the phone i think.

BenMcr
22-02-2012, 10:09
Sneaky to move the cheap phone time from 6pm to 7pm. Loads of people will still think 6pm is the cheap time to phoneIt's 2 years after everyone else changed it, so it's not like Virgin are the only ones

AndyCambs
22-02-2012, 10:33
Sneaky to move the cheap phone time from 6pm to 7pm. Loads of people will still think 6pm is the cheap time to phone. And pressing 1471 followed by 3 costs money now. Time to get rid of the phone i think.

Ringback costs on all operators.