PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Virgin TV

ruddock08
01-02-2012, 15:30
Hi guys,

Looking to reduce my Virgin bill so going to go to Broadband L (soon to be 20mb), Vonage for calls and looking at switching to Freeview for TV.

Trying to find a decent Freeview Recorder.. thought I'd found a perfect one in Samsung BD-DT7800.. Built in WiFi, lots of awards, clear EPG, but user reviews of it don't seem to be very favourable!

Anyway, I would ideally like something with DLNA streaming function so can watch films from my NAS (either over ethernet or Wireless), 2 tuners and easy to use! Really stuck to find one at the mo! Any ideas?

LexDiamond
02-02-2012, 07:40
If you search avforums for Humax Fox T2 you will find details of a custom firmware that will allow you to do what you want plus more.

If you want two tuners to be able to record one and watch one only and don't need HD then you can use Play TV with your PS3. Its around £20-30 and another £7 for the add on from PSN which includes multi media features plus also series record feature.

Kymmy
02-02-2012, 07:54
If you can;t find a PVR with DLNA then there's lots of Blu-ray players about with that function... I can recommend the Sony range as they have DLNA, lovefilm, iplayer and demand five and there's supposed to be netflix coming for it in the next firmware

ruddock08
02-02-2012, 14:44
If you search avforums for Humax Fox T2 you will find details of a custom firmware that will allow you to do what you want plus more.

If you want two tuners to be able to record one and watch one only and don't need HD then you can use Play TV with your PS3. Its around £20-30 and another £7 for the add on from PSN which includes multi media features plus also series record feature.

Have been looking at Humax Fox T2 - around £200 so will take a good 6 months to re-coup the costs but still.. :)

And I will be getting PlayTV for my TV but for my parents, they dont have a playstation!