PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Exchange update? - offnet

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2012, 15:24
I know I'm not going to explain this very well tu here's goes.

At the omens I am on VM's off net ADSL service and am getting around 6.7mb which is great but my contract is about to run our so I was looking at alternatives.

While looking at BT's line checker it said I could get around 14mb.

I looked on samknows and found these details.

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU

The only difference from the last time I looked is the reference to WBC.

What I'd like to know is can I get the same speed quoted for BT on my VM account and if so how do I go about doing that?

Cheers, dilli.

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2012, 17:44
Well after a little calling around with VM it seems I can get this speed if I'm willing to pay an extra £25 a month.

It's much cheaper on BT so I have now requested a mac code.

General Maximus
31-01-2012, 18:21
hmmmm, from what I have heard dude VM's adsl is absolutely atrocious performance wise and if there is a fault it takes them yonks to fix because they have to wait for BT. Have you had a look in the BT site to see when Infinity is coming to your area?

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2012, 18:48
No mention of infinity coming at all yet.

I have got the mac code and ordered BT now so we shall see.

dilli-theclaw
03-02-2012, 13:14
......so assuming I pass the credit check (which is by no means certain) - I should be up and running on the 16th Feb.

Just a follow up question.

Is the BT Home hub 3 any good?

Can / should I use my Belkin n150 adsl modem / router instead? Or the netgear one I've had from Virgin for ages?

Cheers,

Dilli.

dilli-theclaw
08-03-2012, 20:43
Well just to close up.

I have had BT for a couple of weeks now and it has been great.

I get 16mb and am having no issues with the home hub.

Still a shame VM wanted to charge me extra for the same service.

Andrewcrawford23
08-03-2012, 20:46
Well just to close up.

I have had BT for a couple of weeks now and it has been great.

I get 16mb and am having no issues with the home hub.

Still a shame VM wanted to charge me extra for the same service.

its because virign dnt use llu and as such have to chagre you what bt do plus extra for the extra charge they recieve and to make money

dilli-theclaw
08-03-2012, 21:05
Yeah but £25 a month extra!

Anyway if I ever move I will still change to cable :)

qasdfdsaq
08-03-2012, 22:31
its because virign dnt use llu and as such have to chagre you what bt do plus extra for the extra charge they recieve and to make money
No, BT pay the same as VM do to use the service. BT aren't allowed to treat themselves favourably or charge any less than to any other provider.

Andrewcrawford23
09-03-2012, 10:00
No, BT pay the same as VM do to use the service. BT aren't allowed to treat themselves favourably or charge any less than to any other provider.

i know that, but bt can get away with charging it cheaper and makign aprofit wheras other smaller providers wont be able to but sying tht 25 more is hella step i wouldnt think it was that much i say a few uid if anything