PDA

View Full Version : General virgin dns

Andrewcrawford23
31-01-2012, 11:30
just a heads up to eveyrone on virgin, virign own dns servers are seeming to be acting slow and making web pages longer to load, i suggest if oyu are having problems gtting pages ot load aor ther eslow swithc to opendns or google dns there runnign faster i jsut tsted all 3 ie virign,google and oepn and with virign it was taking sometimes 5-10 minutes ot load a page switch to the other ones and hay presto laod within seconds

qasdfdsaq
31-01-2012, 11:34
Virgin have different DNS servers in every part of the country. What area(s) DNS servers are being "slow"? On average VM's DNS are better than most other ISPs because they use anycast, hence I doubt it's a national issue.

Andrewcrawford23
31-01-2012, 11:38
Virgin have different DNS servers in every part of the country. What area(s) DNS servers are being "slow"? On average VM's DNS are better than most other ISPs because they use anycast, hence I doubt it's a national issue.

someone else reported back there webpages are loading faster after changing and ther ein different par to fhte ocuntry to me, and as far as i know virig dnt have different dns server dpendent on area now they did when it was telewest but they shut them all down and replace them with one centralised one, well proballya few centralised ones

qasdfdsaq
31-01-2012, 14:44
Nope, there's still many. And it's still anycast. And they're not centralised.

kwikbreaks
31-01-2012, 15:06
Just benchmark what's fastest for you using - http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

Of course if you have a Superhub instead of a proper router you'll need to plug in your chosen DNS on everything manually or put it in modem mode and use a proper router which supports overrides of the ISP provided DNS.

Milambar
31-01-2012, 15:31
Interesting program. I let it run, and boy did it take an age to run, but in the end, it says that OpenDNS is 82% faster than Virgins own DNS servers.

In fact, even BT's nameservers were significantly faster than VM's. Shame on you, VM.

kwikbreaks
31-01-2012, 15:45
Google's own DNS is no slouch either but of course using their servers sells even more of your soul to them. As I use them for email and search already it probably doesn't matter though and I could remember the IPs without looking them up so google it was. I have been meaning to run the benchmark again but somehow life just seems too short to bother.

thenry
31-01-2012, 15:53
VM servers come back alot fastest for me than the others :)

Chrysalis
01-02-2012, 18:16
VMs servers are fast but they ignore low TTL's which can lead to incorrect lookups.

Andrewcrawford23
01-02-2012, 19:03
mines are bt, opendns, googledns, vm and some other weird oen lol, it all depends wha ti am doign with conenction and what programs i have runnign in the background of the comptuer, but using opendns has speeded up page ookup