PDA

View Full Version : 2 broadband services

raspberry
24-01-2012, 13:17
Hi,if this is the wrong category please move!

I was of the understanding that you could have only 1 BB service to a property.(we have 1 in the house and need 1 for business in garden office)
Phoned India and after 3, " i'll put you thru' to someone who can help" answers finally was told that it is possible.
If we agree to a 3 year contract and the install team can fit the service in 4 hours it would be ok.

Does this sound right? :dunce:

Stephen
24-01-2012, 13:29
Hi, you can only have one BB per account.

However as you have seperate accounts and a Business and residential services it's allowed. :)

raspberry
24-01-2012, 14:13
Hi, you can only have one BB per account.

However as you have seperate accounts and a Business and residential services it's allowed. :)

Thanks!

Just thinking before i tie myself in, would this work and to what degree of efficiency?

Run cat5e between house and office,terminate on cat5e sockets.
Connect patch lead from house router into new socket.
Connect PC to new socket in office.
The distance is about 50m.

Thanks again.

Kymmy
24-01-2012, 14:38
cat5e is good for 100m+ if you have more than one device in the office then terminate it with a simple 4+ port hub/switch

raspberry
24-01-2012, 20:50
Thanks all,i am looking at just one outlet in the garden office at the moment.
Did some googling,will this do the job?
http://www.telephone-wiring.co.uk/50-metre-cat5e-external-adsl-broadbanddata-and-network-extension-kit-47-p.asp

Kymmy
24-01-2012, 21:21
Yes but that sounds like a lot of money for it.. If it's a single connection than you don't need the wall boxes and can just use a single 50m cable from hub to PC (or hub to hub if you need multiple connections)

A 50m Cat5e from ebay is only £5.99 delivered
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50M-RJ45-CAT5E-ETHERNET-NETWORK-LAN-PATCH-CABLE-LEAD-/180598164952?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingCables_RL&hash=item2a0c7d4dd8

and cat6 (more futureproof) is not much dearer (just make sure you order the cable with plugs on as a few of them are bare cable)

qasdfdsaq
25-01-2012, 22:03
I'd be hesitant to recommend those el-cheapo Ebay cables though, they're nowhere near spec and over 50m perform more like Cat 4 than Cat5e - they won't even run 100mbit properly let alone 1000. They also run up something like 20 ohms resistance which breaks PoE too.

satellite-man
08-02-2012, 21:38
Hi,if this is the wrong category please move!

I was of the understanding that you could have only 1 BB service to a property.(we have 1 in the house and need 1 for business in garden office)
Phoned India and after 3, " i'll put you thru' to someone who can help" answers finally was told that it is possible.
If we agree to a 3 year contract and the install team can fit the service in 4 hours it would be ok.

Does this sound right? :dunce:

iv tried to do it in & unless the building is split into flats or offices etc you cant do it