PDA

View Full Version : confused on pricing for upgrade

dr aardvark
20-01-2012, 09:11
all these adverts recently are a bit confusing. they state a one off fee but have no info on any price differences - i have 20M on the old modem.
what can i upgrade to without paying extra?
although i assume there will be a one off fee for the hub.

cheers

BenMcr
20-01-2012, 10:31
To be honest the reason there isn't a price, is the difference depends on the bundle you are on now.

It would be Customer Services that can give you your options, although you might want to check when your speed increase is coming at www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed (http://www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed) as it may give you the increase you want

dr aardvark
20-01-2012, 10:55
To be honest the reason there isn't a price, is the difference depends on the bundle you are on now.

It would be Customer Services that can give you your options, although you might want to check when your speed increase is coming at www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed (http://www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed) as it may give you the increase you want

but i don't have superhub so will i miss out on the increase when it happens?
is it better to switch to the hub now in preparation if i can do it at minimal cost?

Milambar
20-01-2012, 11:08
If you don't currently have a superhub, there will be, at the very "minimum", a £30 one-off "activation fee" for them to send you a superhub.

I say "minimum" in quotes because if you search these forums, there are people who have managed to persuade them to send the superhub for less or even free, but those seem to be very few and far between.

A superhub is currently required for all products 30MB or upwards.

BenMcr
20-01-2012, 11:44
but i don't have superhub so will i miss out on the increase when it happens?Virgin will contact you nearer your upgrade to arrange to get a SuperHub for free if you need one.

dr aardvark
20-01-2012, 11:52
Virgin will contact you nearer your upgrade to arrange to get a SuperHub for free if you need one.

i might wait then - i'm fine on 20M for now.

scrooge
20-01-2012, 16:00
i might wait then - i'm fine on 20M for now.

That's what I'm doing, there's not much 'value' imho in upgrading to 30Mb or 50Mb before the eventual free upgrades (April-July for me) especially if you're like me and trying to keep costs down!

Chrysalis
21-01-2012, 09:54
If I was in a uncongested area anbd a heavy peak user the 50mbit has value in the "no STM", but my current situation which is I dont really use enough during peak and that speeds tend to drop to STM levels anyway it isnt worth it for me.

Tuvoc
22-01-2012, 11:59
Yes, I'm on 20Mb with the Ambit modem. My understanding from the email I got is that Virgin upgrade me to 60Mb and give me the Superhub free, and no change to my monthly bill. I wonder though if they will then say that is the start of a new 12mth or 18mth contract. Currently I am well out of contract and could cancel with 1 mth notice without penalty if I chose to.

BenMcr
23-01-2012, 10:25
No it won't be a new contract for the speed uplift