PDA

View Full Version : Superhub wireless "n"

mmace
19-01-2012, 07:17
OK, I have 50Mb broadband, the superhub which has wireless 'n' and my Android phone which has wireless 'n' (Galaxy Nexus)
Why am I only getting 10mb speeds on something that's capable of up to 600mb? (PC gets the full 50.01mb)

Milambar
19-01-2012, 08:41
You don't say if your PC is connected wired or wirelessly.

If its connected wirelessly, that would suggest an issue on the Galaxy rather than the superhub.

It must be noted however, that in general, the superhub's wireless signall is unusually weak for a wireless router.

mmace
19-01-2012, 08:54
PC is wired, nothing wrong with Galaxy Nexus as it gets 20Mb at work on the 20Mb line. I'm within 3 metres of the hub with nothing in between. On my Sky router I can get 12mb on the 12mb line using same frequency and channel

General Maximus
19-01-2012, 09:01
have you got any other wireless devices in the house? It sounds to me like it is running 802.11b. By default I would assume it is set to mixed mode or something so it would sort of auto detect which frequency to use depending on the device trying to connect to it, and if an 802.11b device is also trying to connect wirelessly (11mbits) then that is what the router would set itself to. Have you tried going into the settings (on the shub) and specifying 802.11g (or n) only?

mmace
19-01-2012, 12:32
not checked the shub, will look tonight
I have PS3, Wii, laptop, honeycomb tablet, 2 Android phones and an iPod touch all connected, but even with "b" it should be up to 54mbps and I got higher on Sky with all those connected (but not downloading or using bandwidth)

qasdfdsaq
19-01-2012, 13:03
'b' is up to 11mbps and no more than ~5 in practice. 'g' is 54mbps with up to 20-25mbps typical

'n' on the Galaxy Nexus is up to 65mbps, with 30-40mbps in practice. It can go higher (i.e. up to 150mbps) but not without driver and firmware modification. It would never be anywhere near capable of anything close to 600.

mmace
19-01-2012, 13:17
I meant g rather than b, too many letters!
still doesn't explain why with Sky I got the full 12Mb and on a faster Virgin connection it's 10 :(

thenry
19-01-2012, 13:30
interference? have you scanned your area with inSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) and set the SH to use a channel number that isn't in use ?

mmace
19-01-2012, 13:46
it's using the same channel as my Sky router did last week and last night when I tested again

thenry
19-01-2012, 13:50
another router could have appeared. scan your reachable area to see if the channel you using isn't being used by another router.

Andrewcrawford23
19-01-2012, 13:55
thenry cheers for that scanner :D adds to my network tools :D will come in handy when i am fixing wireless issues

to OP the problem is most likely the SH as for wireless it is crapier than crap you probalyl get a better speed of a b rotuer thant eh shub

thenry
19-01-2012, 13:59
your welcome man. your second line Andrew... thats not true. I've tested my own SH and it near enough max'd out on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

mmace
19-01-2012, 14:15
another router could have appeared. scan your reachable area to see if the channel you using isn't being used by another router.tried yesterday, 10mb, unplugged SH, plugged in Sky router to my ADSL (not disconnected yet) got 12mb

thenry
19-01-2012, 14:17
toy with the SuperHubs wireless settings via the advanced settings page..

802.11 mode: 54/145/300

qasdfdsaq
19-01-2012, 14:38
Yeah, some people say setting the Superhub to 145 (which it should be in by default but VM like defying sensibilities) improves wireless performance. The SH has definitely had a history at being poor at handling interference, so it might just be coping worse with a situation the Sky router dealt with fine. Or it might be something else.

You haven't mentioned what kinds of speed tests you're doing or how so it's hard to diagnose the fault.

Andrewcrawford23
19-01-2012, 19:51
your welcome man. your second line Andrew... thats not true. I've tested my own SH and it near enough max'd out on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

in thoery yes my statement is bull, but my experiance of the superhuib a b router is faster and more realible than the n superhub

but sayign that i am seeing more posts saying superhub is better maybe they have got a newer version but eventally ill have to upgrade so i will find out hten ill try the wireless then but i will eventally go to modem mode as i have advance network setup and it easier for me to use that that have another wireless broadcast

Tommy_lad
19-01-2012, 21:47
Hello Everyone.

I got the shub myself just for the 'n' wireless capabilities and it's pants, my old netgear 'G' router was far better. I am saying signal strength only, I seem to get between 45mps and 72mbps (I'm on 30mg). It does dip to 6mps when I'm at the other end of the house and signal strength is only fair.

My Detached neighbour has a Belkin 'g' router and I get excellent to good reception from his all over our house. I've got to be in the same room to get an excellent signal from the shub.

I'm very surprised how bad this is as it is made by Netgear.

I am now thinking of getting another router and using the shub as a modem.

thenry
19-01-2012, 21:56
Hello Tommy, have you changed the wireless channel? don't leave it on auto, it sucks..

download inSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) onto a wireless capable device such as a laptop and run the program. it'll search for all wireless networks within reach of you. take note of the channel number each uses then set your SH to use a channel number that isn't in use.

to access the SH's web intereface,

open a web browser and put the follow into the address bar then enter...
login (default: username: admin, password: changeme)
click on advanced settings below the 3 boxes
to your left look for wireless settings
change number
apply
exit

if things don't improve you could try changing rate, on the same wireless settings page toy with the 802.11 mode: 54/145/300

lastly buying your own router is a very good option depending on what router you have in mind.

Tommy_lad
19-01-2012, 22:33
Hello Thenry

Thanks for the advice. I will give this a go later on tonignt when I can get my daughter off the laptop. (pc I'm on is wired)

The Routers that have caught my eye after reading through some of the posts were:-

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND
and the
Buffalo AirStation Wireless-N 300Mbps

I think the Buffalo is better looking.

thenry
19-01-2012, 23:03
your welcome man

no 5GHz on them. adding a little more could get you something much better. if you can hold out mate wait for the router in my sig.. the upcoming TP Link TL WR2843ND. it might not be good looking but its a beast. it should be released sometime this year.

TP Link already have 1 on the market but it doesn't function simultaneous bands, it can only function 1 band at a time (2.4GHz or 5GHz).

theres Linksys, Asus, Netgear too. look into simultaneous bands and rates of 450Mbps... future proof

Tommy_lad
20-01-2012, 23:14
Hi

Tried out the alterations you suggested.
Changed to channel 3 as no-one seems to be using it.
changed to the different rates 54 - 145 -300

unfortunately it seemed to make things worst.

I used 'wifi scanner' App on my ASUS transformer (as i could walk around the house easier) and my router was pushed from top spot down to 4th or 5th on the list. I had to look hard to find it! this was with 54 and 145. I've put it back to 300.

I have left the channel on 3 as no-one else is using it.

Thenry do you know when the router on your SIG.. is out? It does look rather good in the red. My daughter, is starting to lose her rag with me and the router.

thenry
21-01-2012, 00:12
You might aswell put the SH into modem mode linking your old router. Advance settings page.. Look at the diagram properly - linking the correct ethernet port.

Your the first person to say you like the colors.. It does somewhat match vm though :D not sure when its released.. Summer time i hope.

General Maximus
21-01-2012, 08:49
although thenrys suggestion might be the next best thiong to come out this year you dont need to suffer dude. They are plenty of excellent routers out there right now which will do the job for you, it is just that you have got one of the rubbish ones. I have got an awesome linksys dualband router which blasts the signal all around my house and i dont have to worry about signal strength and channels and all that rubbish, it is just works.