PDA

View Full Version : Superhub How to force software update?

hjf288
13-01-2012, 14:29
My superhub hasn't been used for ages and is running R25...

How do I get it to update to R30 so I can use modem mode?

I've tried leaving it off for a minute and turning it back on and it hasn't updated.

Called tech support, 1 woman told me it was updated already even though it clearly says R25, one told me it was impossible and I would need a new hub, one scottish woman said it could be my drivers or server and I would need to pay £10 to have it updated.

Now I know all the above is bull... but how do you actually get it updated?

thenry
13-01-2012, 14:34
it should do it automatically.

login (defaults- username: admin ~ password: changeme)
advanced settings below 3 boxes
the status page should be the first you see.. on it...
Software Version V5.5.2R30

have you got the unit replaced.. had a new SH sent out to you?

hjf288
13-01-2012, 14:39
The final person I spoke to on the phone (Retentions) said they will just send out a new superhub and should be here next week, but he also called up Tech support who said it was a problem with my wireless card hence why they passed me through to paid tech support.

The system I'm using doesn't even have a wireless card and I told them that!

Information
Standard Specification Compliant EU DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware Version 2.00
Software Version V5.5.2R25

Status
System Up Time 0 days 00h:26m:58s

thenry
13-01-2012, 14:53
when you get your new SH in the box open it using the correct rip off strip.. unpack taking out the new SH, power cable and instructions... follow the steps and activate.

there will also be a return sticker within the box you get. wrap up your old SH and put the old power cable into the mini box and place it back into the box. under the flap.. where you ripped off the strip to open the box will be a plastic protector, another pull off to get to the glue, take the plastic off and seal the box with of course your old SH and power cable within.. then stick that return sticker on top of the sticker thats already on the box with your details on.. pop into Royal Mail and hand it over. its all pre paid.

you should get instructions within the box for the return process anyway but thats just a heads up.

hjf288
13-01-2012, 14:54
Seriously though ... I need a new superhub?

Can't they just fire the software update out or force it like they did during the trials?

thenry
13-01-2012, 14:56
did you post up on the community forum? if not you should have done but anyway you've now got the new SH coming so just see how you get on with that. you might as well get rid of the unit you have seeing as it doesn't want to grab the new firmware.

Peter_
13-01-2012, 15:55
Try a pinhole reset as per this link.

CLICK ME (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=345041&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=)

hjf288
13-01-2012, 16:29
Try a pinhole reset as per this link.

CLICK ME (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=345041&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=)

That worked, cheers

thenry
13-01-2012, 16:56
:shocked:

Peter_
13-01-2012, 17:27
:shocked:
That is the correct process.;)

hjf288
13-01-2012, 17:30
Before the update my pings were fine and scheduling type was Real time polling, now its switched to best effort after the update and my latency is all over the place?

Before the update and on the VMNG300 was alot better.. O_o

thenry
13-01-2012, 17:31
shame 3 agents couldn't get it right and even put forward a charge!! and to think, your jobs going. what we going to be left with? incompetence!!

craigj2k12
13-01-2012, 17:39
that is the ideal example of stupidity, firstly offering a new hub, secondly saying it was computer drivers, or a £10 call to tech support for wireless assistance, then finally another agent offering to send out a superhub, even though all it needed was a factory reset

how pathetic

Peter_
13-01-2012, 17:44
that is the ideal example of stupidity, firstly offering a new hub, secondly saying it was computer drivers, or a £10 call to tech support for wireless assistance, then finally another agent offering to send out a superhub, even though all it needed was a factory reset

how pathetic
I would love to know what the £10 charge was for as we do not have anything on the system and the pinhole reset was on the community forum when the different firmwares came out as the standard fix.

I will only send out a replacement if all other avenues fail, many times a pinhole reset and a Logmein session resolves the issue, just sheer laziness on those agents part.

thenry
13-01-2012, 17:48
logmein.. urgh :sleep:

Peter_
13-01-2012, 17:50
The corporate version is a brilliant tool and every session is recorded and kept in case of any issues.

thenry
13-01-2012, 17:52
no denying it isn't good, i bet it is. I've used the standard version many times to access computers :tu: its when the table turns that its a problem.. me having to install an add-on :no:

hjf288
13-01-2012, 17:54
I would love to know what the £10 charge was for as we do not have anything on the system and the pinhole reset was on the community forum when the different firmwares came out as the standard fix.

I will only send out a replacement if all other avenues fail, many times a pinhole reset and a Logmein session resolves the issue, just sheer laziness on those agents part.

It was £10 monthly... not a one off XD

The guy who sent me the new hub also said he couldn't think what the charge would be for...

So err... what do I do with the new hub?

Peter_
13-01-2012, 17:56
It was £10 monthly... not a one off XD

The guy who sent me the new hub also said he couldn't think what the charge would be for...

So err... what do I do with the new hub?
They tried to put you through to Digital Home Support who deal with issues that are out of our support scope, but the Superhub is our device so we support it, epic fail.

You have a spare device just in case your present one fails, put it in the wardrobe or cupboard.

qasdfdsaq
13-01-2012, 19:06
I'll take it.

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

I agree. Even the corporate version is yuck.

craigj2k12
13-01-2012, 19:14
They tried to put you through to Digital Home Support who deal with issues that are out of our support scope, but the Superhub is our device so we support it, epic fail.

You have a spare device just in case your present one fails, put it in the wardrobe or cupboard.

they thought it was issues with PC drivers so thats why that would be the issue

if an agent thinks that a wireless adapter driver has anything to do with a router not grabbing the firmware it should automatically do, then they are in the wrong line of work!!

thenry
13-01-2012, 19:16
can i have his or her job :(