PDA

View Full Version : Freeview not working after disconnecting virgin

Rup
21-11-2011, 22:56
My tv has built in freeview but since disconnecting from virgin it doesn't work. I'm now looking into an alternative to virgin as my new landlord wont allow the installation but the house has a dish. As my built in freeview doesn't work inneed to buy a freeview or freest box but am thinking of buying a combination box.

Are they worth it or is freest better? I want to be able to get digital channels I I moved somewhere that didnt have a dish?

fudge
22-11-2011, 12:59
Rup , I take it you do have an aerial pluged into your tv since removing your virgin set up. And its not an anologe only aerial.

Tim Deegan
22-11-2011, 13:10
Following on from what fudge said. You do need a far better signal from your aerial to receive digital. So you may need a better aerial.

Kymmy
22-11-2011, 13:17
Following on from what fudge said. You do need a far better signal from your aerial to receive digital. So you may need a better aerial.

Not entirely true...

If you had a good analogue signal then there's no reason as to why you couldn't get a good digital signal. Digital signals though tend to be more spread on the spectrum so sometimes a more wideband antenna is needed.

Try this website (http://www.wolfbane.com/) as it'll tell you if you're in a fringe area and you can compare the details in the analogue predictor with the digital predictor.

Tim Deegan
22-11-2011, 13:31
Not entirely true...

If you had a good analogue signal then there's no reason as to why you couldn't get a good digital signal. Digital signals though tend to be more spread on the spectrum so sometimes a more wideband antenna is needed.

Try this website (http://www.wolfbane.com/) as it'll tell you if you're in a fringe area and you can compare the details in the analogue predictor with the digital predictor.

Thanks Kymmy. Maybe I should have worded it differently. What I mean is that with analogue you could get away with a not perfect signal. But digital is far more sensitive.

Rup
23-11-2011, 22:47
Thanks for the replies! I've tried it on a different aerial and get two channels! Must have been an old aerial when I first tried it.

Will Definetly buy a recordable freeview+ box so hopefully that will provide me with a better channel search and if I get a booster aerial.