PDA

View Full Version : BT master socket used with Virgin cable phone?

Bufobufo
07-11-2011, 12:32
My house phones went dead and Virgin said this time it was likely on my system, we recently had a lot of area faults, and they were right!
At the socket where their 2 wire line connects to my system I removed all other links and it works!

1. Should this first socket in my system be a BT master socket, it is not.

2. Older wired phones have never rung since we went to Virgin cable phone, only a modern wired cheapy Binatone actually rings. Is this normal? DECT cordless work.

Many thanks in advance. Teddington Toad

jb66
07-11-2011, 12:51
Virgin only install one socket as standard, sometimes installers tap into the bt extensions to give you more than one or if your house was pre-wired we have to use the bt socket (or replace it)

Bufobufo
07-11-2011, 14:02
Right, so there should be a BT type master socket somewhere in my system?

jb66
07-11-2011, 16:20
unless it was replaced by a virgin one

Bufobufo
07-11-2011, 17:05
There was no master wired into my system so I will try installing one. Thanks.

jb66
07-11-2011, 17:13
Without a master the phones shouldn't ring. might be on to something

Graham M
07-11-2011, 18:06
That might explain some of it, cordless phones don't generally require there to be a ring capacitor (IE in the master socket)

Bufobufo
08-11-2011, 17:17
Many thanks, old BT master installed as first in the circuit and now any phone will ring when connected. Virgin had not bothered to fit one.
Now I have to find the fault on the line to the other sockets in the house, when I get a roundtuit.

dave_dph
09-11-2011, 08:26
If VM haven't done the job right in the first place, i.e. installed a Linebox (master socket), then you should complain and get them back to do the job properly.

Bufobufo
09-11-2011, 10:00
Oh err, getting Virgin back in, look what happened last time? I think not. If I have any more problems I will ask here first.
Now I have two working sockets, one with the cordless base and one with an old fashioned very loud phone as a back up. I can fix the wiring to the rest at leisure, or not.
Thanks to all, JohnR.