PDA

View Full Version : 50M 100mb in Lincoln

The Hitman
05-11-2011, 10:19
Just rang up VM to ask about an upgrade from 50mb to 100mb. As it now says that your area can get 100mb. I got told that even though it is being advertised that you can get 100mb. You cannot till Jan next year.I want to know if this is true or false. Is there any one in Lincoln who is on 100mb right now.

morley04
05-11-2011, 13:34
Not sure about Lincoln but when I enquired about an upgrade 2days ago they told me its £55pm yet there website says 45pm without phone line so I don't think they know anything at customer services

Dai
05-11-2011, 15:43
VM's latest list shows Lincoln still at the planning stage.

The Hitman
05-11-2011, 16:29
I went on their postcode checker and it says 100mb is available and on their rollout schedule its been completed

GazCBG
05-11-2011, 16:57
VM Posted a press release on 3rd Nov 2011
Link: http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/Stories/100Mb-broadband-available-to-over-20-million-people-as-Virgin-Media-makes-speed-pledge-22bf.aspx

From today, homes in Harborne in Birmingham, Lincoln, Seven Kings in Greater London, and Solihull will also be able to sign up to ultrafast broadband speeds of 100Mb. Virgin Media remains on track to complete the expansion across its entire network – half of the UK – by the middle of 2012.

Dai
05-11-2011, 19:05
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35325535-post1.html

posted elsewhere on the forum earlier today.

General Maximus
05-11-2011, 19:34
it must be true dude because they have just told me the same thing. I thought they was fobbing me off at first but if they are saying the same thing to everyone else they must have made a boo boo.

I rang them up (Indian call centre) and told them i wanted to upgrade but on the condition that I don't have the superhub and they drop the config file down to my vmng300. The woman said she didn't know what i was talking about and would ring "the technical department". After being on hold for 3 mins she came back and said that it wasn't actually available in my area and that they haven't got a date when I could have it. I thought she was saying it just to get rid of me because i was being awkward and I was ready to post a sarcy message on the forum but then i saw this thread.

beasty54
07-11-2011, 13:46
I'm in the LN1 area and i've just called virgin media, upgraded to 100mb with a 24hr activation window so maybe things have changed today

*EDIT*

All seems to be ok, will see how it goes over the next few days

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/51.png

GazCBG
07-11-2011, 14:07
Did you already have the superhub, and they just updated the config?
As they sent me a superhub last week, that is working.

I am going to be ordering in a few weeks, by the 21st I hope.

beasty54
07-11-2011, 14:09
Did you already have the superhub, and they just updated the config?
As they sent me a superhub last week, that is working.

I am going to be ordering in a few weeks, by the 21st I hope.

Nope i said i didn't want the superhub or an engineer visit and they agreed, 5 minutes later it was active

GazCBG
07-11-2011, 14:47
beasty54 would it be possible for you to do a pingtest at http://www.pingtest.net for me please?

beasty54
07-11-2011, 14:51
beasty54 would it be possible for you to do a pingtest at http://www.pingtest.net for me please?

http://www.pingtest.net/result/50097336.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/52.png

It all seems to be pretty consistent at the mo so i'm happy for now

GazCBG
07-11-2011, 14:59
Thanks, I may phone up this weekend and get it.

KenO
07-11-2011, 16:41
I'm in the LN1 area and i've just called virgin media, upgraded to 100mb with a 24hr activation window so maybe things have changed today

*EDIT*

All seems to be ok, will see how it goes over the next few days

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/51.png

Interesting, did you get the upgrade remotely (config File) ?

When I upgraded to 50meg they just downloaded the file for me

I'm on the outskirts so may check and see if it's available

beasty54
07-11-2011, 17:20
Interesting, did you get the upgrade remotely (config File) ?

When I upgraded to 50meg they just downloaded the file for me

I'm on the outskirts so may check and see if it's available

Yep it was all done at virgins end within 5 mins of getting off the phone

keepitretro
07-11-2011, 18:22
Just did my upgrade over the phone and kept my trusty vmng300 modem and dir-615 router, was up and running in 2 minutes getting speeds of 101mb (wired)....

Happy days....

General Maximus
07-11-2011, 19:20
ffs, I have just rang up and told them that I wanted to keep my current modem and I didn't want the superhub and the woman said "the engineer still needs to come out to install the services" and the earliest one can come out is 23rd November. What a joke. I am going to ring them back up.

keepitretro
07-11-2011, 19:27
To be fair i did have to ring up twice, before i got thru to someone who said it was ok to keep my existing setup, and not have a tech come round.

beasty54
07-11-2011, 19:32
ffs, I have just rang up and told them that I wanted to keep my current modem and I didn't want the superhub and the woman said "the engineer still needs to come out to install the services" and the earliest one can come out is 23rd November. What a joke. I am going to ring them back up.

Keep trying mate, i was expecting to have to argue to be honest but i didn't even have to ask twice.

General Maximus
07-11-2011, 19:32
my patience for the rest of the year has just ran out. I actually managed to get through to somebody in England but she said that an engineer had to come out so he can make sure I get the speed and make any neccessary adjustments bla bla bla so I have got to wait till the 23rd. The only good thing about the conversation was that she said (without me even mentioning it) that I don't have to have the superhub and it is optional. Thank god for them recording the phone calls :)

I can see myself being royally screwed when the engineer gets here but I am not going to put up with any crap, especially as I am having to wait 2 weeks for him to come round anyway. I don't understand why they have to make things so hard, they could bang down the config file now and save the hassel and time of sending the engineer round.

beasty54
07-11-2011, 19:35
my patience for the rest of the year has just ran out. I actually managed to get through to somebody in England but she said that an engineer had to come out so he can make sure I get the speed and make any neccessary adjustments bla bla bla so I have got to wait till the 23rd. The only good thing about the conversation was that she said (without me even mentioning it) that I don't have to have the superhub and it is optional. Thank god for them recording the phone calls :)

I'd be getting well ****ed off by now, the fact that they are clearly upgrading others within minutes and then making you wait for a couple of weeks :mad:

General Maximus
07-11-2011, 19:52
tell me about it, she said that the only way people would have been upgraded straight away are people who have had 30mbit or 50mbit installed over the last 2 weeks and engineer had already been out to check the signal levels. Where are Masque and Nopanic when you need them :hugs:

beasty54
07-11-2011, 20:20
tell me about it, she said that the only way people would have been upgraded straight away are people who have had 30mbit or 50mbit installed over the last 2 weeks and engineer had already been out to check the signal levels. Where are Masque and Nopanic when you need them :hugs:

Actually i have had an engineer out about my TV in the last couple of weeks, he did check ALL power levels so that could well be why

Ignitionnet
07-11-2011, 20:25
Just did my upgrade over the phone and kept my trusty vmng300 modem and dir-615 router, was up and running in 2 minutes getting speeds of 101mb (wired)....

Happy days....

Given the DIR-615 only has 100Mb ethernet ports well played!

General Maximus
07-11-2011, 20:34
Actually i have had an engineer out about my TV in the last couple of weeks, he did check ALL power levels so that could well be why

bum

Given the DIR-615 only has 100Mb ethernet ports well played!

that is what i am worried about. I think I am going to have to get a new router but I am reluctant to buy one if I am not going to need it. I am half expecting to have an arguement with the engineer about the superhub and telling them to cancel it.

beasty54
07-11-2011, 20:46
I'm wondering what i should do once my superhub turns up, i'm using the DIR615 with DD-WRT firmware and while its worked perfect up to now, the 100mb connection is possibly slightly too much for it.

General Maximus
07-11-2011, 20:53
well give it a go and see what happens, I am thinking the same about my linksys wrt 150n. Even if i get near 100mbit through my router I know it is going to be pushing it to the limit so I am going to get myself a Linksys E2000. It looks the bees knees and it has got 4 gigabit ports on it

Ignitionnet
07-11-2011, 20:54
I'm wondering what i should do once my superhub turns up, i'm using the DIR615 with DD-WRT firmware and while its worked perfect up to now, the 100mb connection is possibly slightly too much for it.

No possibly about it, you won't get full performance out of it, not possible.

Unsure how close it'll come to it with DD-WRT, probably some throughput reports on their website.

Get a better router, stick the Pooperhub in bridge mode and you're good to go. I have no complaints about the hideous beast in bridge, it's been flawlessly well behaved since June.

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

well give it a go and see what happens, I am thinking the same about my linksys wrt 150n. Even if i get near 100mbit through my router I know it is going to be pushing it to the limit so I am going to get myself a Linksys E2000. It looks the bees knees and it has got 4 gigabit ports on it

I got an E4200 General, it's good for more than the 8 channels in my Superhub - over 600Mbit. Not such an issue for you on the VMNG300 - you'll be forced to take a Superhub if you want to upgrade to 200Mb when it is released.

beasty54
07-11-2011, 20:59
No possibly about it, you won't get full performance out of it, not possible.

Unsure how close it'll come to it with DD-WRT, probably some throughput reports on their website.

Yeah i understand that but so far i've been hitting 95-97mb down and if the superhub is still as bad as it was on day one, that tiny bit of loss is worth it.
IF i give the superhub a go, i'm assuming i wont just be able to swap back to my current modem will i?

keepitretro
07-11-2011, 21:03
Iv'e got a dir-615 with dd-wrt, get about 65mbs, on wi-fi.

And about 70mbs via 200mbs home plugs, but get 101mbs wired.

Using about 20 meters of cat5 from the bedroom down the side of the house and through the living room window,

Untill i can get my modem/router moved upstairs, having a tech come in a few weeks to put me another point in.

General Maximus
07-11-2011, 21:21
I got an E4200 General, it's good for more than the 8 channels in my Superhub - over 600Mbit. Not such an issue for you on the VMNG300 - you'll be forced to take a Superhub if you want to upgrade to 200Mb when it is released.

yeah I was just looking at that, I think I am going to have to get one as well. I have just read that my current router won't do more than 92mbits and on the charts the E2500 won't do more than 91mbits (so I am assuming the E2000 will be the same) and the E3000 does 218mbits.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

well this ain't good, I am looking at £100 for the E3000 and £125 for the E4200. I had might as well go for the E4200, at least it will last me till the end of time

Ignitionnet
07-11-2011, 22:29
yeah I was just looking at that, I think I am going to have to get one as well. I have just read that my current router won't do more than 92mbits and on the charts the E2500 won't do more than 91mbits (so I am assuming the E2000 will be the same) and the E3000 does 218mbits.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

well this ain't good, I am looking at £100 for the E3000 and £125 for the E4200. I had might as well go for the E4200, at least it will last me till the end of time

It has very strong wireless capabilities too - moving from Superhub to the E4200 pushed the wireless performance in mini-Ignition's room from barely clinging onto anything up to 120Mbit/s and in the same room 160Mbit-180Mbit. That's wirelessly just to remind.

I bought it to replace a mini-PC. It works and works extremely well. The NAS is a bit pants performance wise but other than that it's nice.

General Maximus
07-11-2011, 22:37
cool, looks like I'll be going for it. It is a shame VM didn't team up with Cisco/Linksys to make the superhubs, it certainly would have guaranteed a minimum working standard. Tieing Cisco with VM would have been a great brand quality boost on VMs part, something they could have advertised, I defo would have been interested as a selling point. If the blab was "upgrade to 30/50/100mbit and we'll give you a free Cisco homehub" I wouldn't think twice about it.

GazCBG
08-11-2011, 08:54
For the ones that got to have a Tech out to check the power levels and what not.
Are you being charge a fitting fee, if so how much?

General Maximus
08-11-2011, 15:41
if you are upgrading to 100mbit they have got an offer on atm and it is free. Technically though, according to the website, it is normally £49.95.

Although I don't want the engineer to come round, I haven't really kicked up too much of a stink about it because it is their time and money they are wasting. If on the other hand I had to pay £50 for them to come round and do something which I could tell them (my power levels are fine) or they could do over the phone then I would go nuts.

beasty54
08-11-2011, 20:00
Well i'm certainly not managing to get 100mb during peak times, i'm struggling to get 70mb at the moment. With my 50mb connection, i was able to hit the full 50mb no matter what time of day it was so its clear they cant provide 100mb, even in a small city like lincoln.

Ignitionnet
08-11-2011, 20:05
They aren't aiming to provide 100Mb 24x7 to everyone, peak times are peak times, some slow down should be expected and if it doesn't happen it's a bonus.

Size of the town/city isn't an issue.

beasty54
08-11-2011, 20:16
They aren't aiming to provide 100Mb 24x7 to everyone, peak times are peak times, some slow down should be expected and if it doesn't happen it's a bonus.

Size of the town/city isn't an issue.

I don't care what they aren't aiming for, i was just saying that on 50mb i could hit it 24/7 but with 100mb i cant. Some slow down is of course expected at peak times but almost a third of your advertised speed?? i would class that as more than "a little slow down"

I'll make it clear though that i'm not complaining, my upload has doubled and that's what i wanted it for so until i've had my repull on the 15th of November and i start using the superhub, i'm more than happy with what i've got.

General Maximus
08-11-2011, 20:24
I am going to be the same dude. I would be over the moon with 50/10. That being said, I have always had full speed on 50mbit as well so I am looking forward to seeing what I am going to get on 100mbit. I have still got to wait another 2 weeks but i'll do some thorough speed testing and thrash it out on torrents and newsgroups and let you know what it is like. I'll be disappointed if I can't hit 100mbit some of the time.

Ignitionnet
08-11-2011, 21:56
The initial slow speeds could well be due to people doing exactly what General Maximus mentioned, thorough speed testing and thrashing it out on torrents and newsgroups.

See if it calms down. A lot of speed increases, which this is even if it's a new tier, bring dodgy performance initially until the novelty of the higher speed goes away and everyone stops trying to download the internet.

GazCBG
12-11-2011, 10:16
I just phoned up, got a UK Customer service and was total it would be up to 24hrs for the update to come though.
As I came off the phone the Superhub rebooted and I now can get 100.1Mb via newsgroups (download a linux OS), but speedtest.net I can find one that give me more then 70Mb

They wanted to send a tech out and charge me £30, I said I got just my Superhub, 2 weeks ago and she went off to check and then said it be upgraded within 24 hours :)

beasty54
13-11-2011, 00:13
After a few days with 100mb i'm going to have to say its crap. 90% of the time i get less than 50mb no matter what i try to download and streaming video is a joke.

General Maximus
13-11-2011, 08:52
They wanted to send a tech out and charge me £30

They are trying to pull the same crap as when they did 50mbit. Technically you are supposed to pay £49.95 for "installation" which is the engineer bringing you a superhub which they could post to you (and I don't want anyway) and a £30 activation fee for him ringing up and getting them to push the new config file down which they could have done over the phone when you rang up to upgrade.

They have got an offer on atm where the "installation" charge is free but I think you are still supposed to pay the £30 activation fee. I am going to wait to see what happens when my bill comes through because when I rang up to upgrade I got an Indian lady who spoke perfect english and she made it crystal clear twice that I only "have to pay £10 a month for 100mbit and everything else is free". Thank god for them recording phone calls :)

GazCBG
13-11-2011, 11:00
I was told the £30 was for the Tech to come out. They did say the £49.95 is free at the moment.

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

I have noticed on speedtest.net there are 2 London servers, it change between them.
When testing you need the Namesco server and not the Trance FM one.

When reading on the VM site they said about another speedtest, link: http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

I get around 94Mb down and 8Mb up

General Maximus
13-11-2011, 19:15
I was told the £30 was for the Tech to come out. They did say the £49.95 is free at the moment

well they want £50 for "installation" and £30 as a one off "activation" fee, either way it is a joke for getting somebody to deliver something and make a phone call. Maybe if they stopped wasting money like this they could afford to get UK call centres back.

GazCBG
14-11-2011, 17:11
Just thought I would post up the speeds I am getting.

During the day till about 5pm I can pull the full 100Mb (from download tests, speedtest.net gives 97Mb)
Around 5pm it starts to slow to about 70/85Mb (from download and speedtest.net tests, http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ sometimes give better speeds, maybe less busier then speedtest.net)

Sometime in the evening it goes into the 90+Mb, but I think it be due to the network more busier.

Upload the most I have gotten is 8.60Mb, in the evening it dips to about 7.40Mb (these speeds are from speedtest.net)

Jitter is between 3ms and 13ms.

Pings depend, I have had as low as 18, but get higher on the London server, on speedtest.net

When using speedtest.net try and use the London, Namesco server, as there are 2 servers for London.

I am hoping the upload will get better when/if VM do any work in the area.
But I think it the max at the moment, I can pull.

I am in the LN6 area, off of Hykeham road.

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

well they want £50 for "installation" and £30 as a one off "activation" fee, either way it is a joke for getting somebody to deliver something and make a phone call. Maybe if they stopped wasting money like this they could afford to get UK call centres back.
Maybe I got it wrong, she did say it was the first time she had done a 100Mb upgrade/order.

But I am sure she said the £30 was for coming out and new equipment, that is when I said I already had the Superhub.

General Maximus
14-11-2011, 18:41
JBut I am sure she said the £30 was for coming out and new equipment, that is when I said I already had the Superhub.

We'll see when the engineer gets here. I am trying not to get myself excited and preparing myself for disappointment as I am expecting to have to cancel it all when the engineer gets here and refuses to make the phone call without swapping my vmng300 for a superhub.

I am in LN6 3 off Doddington Road so I would imagine we'll get similar speeds. I'll let you know how things go, still another week to go yet :)

Ignitionnet
14-11-2011, 20:20
Just take the Shub and put it into modem mode. It works perfectly, bonds more channels ready for 8 downstreams and you'll need one for 200Mb anyway so may as well save yourself the hassle.

General Maximus
14-11-2011, 21:15
I am more of the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" kinda guy. My vmng300 has been flawfless for the last 2 years and I don't want to get rid of it and run the risk of using something which is potentially going to screw me over, whether it be the annoying LEDs, reboots or overheating. If I can have the same service on something which I know is working perfectly, I would like to keep it that way, and tbh, I thought VM would want to save the money as well (for what little the superhub costs).

Ignitionnet
15-11-2011, 11:07
Not really, as I said they'll have to replace it for the 200Mb service anyway so there's no real cost they aren't going to have.

It ain't broke but will be when your area is running on 8 channels and you can only pull bandwidth from 4 of them.

General Maximus
15-11-2011, 18:30
It ain't broke but will be when your area is running on 8 channels and you can only pull bandwidth from 4 of them.

Yeah but that is going to be another 2 years knowing them. At that point hopefully they'll have ditched the shub and moved onto something better.

Ignitionnet
15-11-2011, 18:33
Yeah but that is going to be another 2 years knowing them. At that point hopefully they'll have ditched the shub and moved onto something better.

I do know them and it's not 2 years away.

General Maximus
15-11-2011, 19:34
so do you honestly think I should give up my vmng300 for the shub next week? I think I need to start a poll :)

beasty54
15-11-2011, 19:47
Just thought i'd post an update on my situation now i've had a repull. Download speeds are still slower than they were on 50mb (about 35mb on average) so i've pretty much been screwed over since i'm getting 15mb less and virgin are getting £15 more a month. I've not received my superhub yet so despite being told one would have to be sent no matter what, it looks like i'm probably not getting one.
I'm just having a hard time understanding why i used to get over 50mb 24/7 but now Ive doubled my speed, i end up with less than i had before upgrading and only about 35% of my new advertised speed.

General Maximus
15-11-2011, 19:53
you are not inspiring me dude, what happened to all those 94mbit speed tests?

beasty54
15-11-2011, 20:08
you are not inspiring me dude, what happened to all those 94mbit speed tests?

I wish i knew, they are all between 35 and 45 now, even at early hours of the morning. I sometimes see 80-90mb after say 2am but what good is that? i'm hardly ever up that late.

Here are some speedtests ive just done, connection is idle at the time. Admittedly most people would be happy with those downloads but when 4 out of those 5 are less than what i was getting on my 50mb connection, its pretty bad that i'm now paying more.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/34.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/35.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/36.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/37.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/38.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

General Maximus
15-11-2011, 20:11
hmmm, not good. How is your upload doing?

beasty54
15-11-2011, 20:21
hmmm, not good. How is your upload doing?

Its not too bad but still not great, I'd guess it averages about 7.5mb

General Maximus
15-11-2011, 20:32
oh well, we'll see what happens next week. I'll be happy if I can hit 80/8 most of the time

GazCBG
15-11-2011, 22:14
Tests was done at 10.10pm as just finished gaming on the Xbox 360

London (Namesco)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/32.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Lancaster
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/33.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

General Maximus
15-11-2011, 22:30
i can live with that

General Maximus
23-11-2011, 08:30
The day has finally come! I want to be excited and feel like getting a drum roll going :) but I can see myself being royally screwed this afternoon. Let's hope I get a sympathetic tech :)