PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Do I have to have a superhub for XL

jimexbox
04-11-2011, 16:15
Hi want to upgrade to 30Mb, currently on 10. Virgin Media charge £75 for a superhub, and there is an option for removing this in the upgrade page. I have an ambit 256 which I'm happy with. So do Virginmedia insist on 30Mb users having a superhub?

Ta.

Sirius
04-11-2011, 16:17
Hi want to upgrade to 30Mb, currently on 10. Virgin Media charge £75 for a superhub, and there is an option for removing this in the upgrade page. I have an ambit 256 which I'm happy with. So do Virginmedia insist on 30Mb users having a superhub?

Ta.

£75 quid !

Is it not £30.00

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

Here’s all the detail:

Upgrade from up to 10Mb or up to 20Mb broadband to up to 30Mb
Pay no extra for three months
Unlimited downloads1
We’ll give you a Virgin Media Super Hub wireless modem/router
10GB online storage (plenty for 4000 photos, 2000 music tracks, 16 videos or 800 documents)
50 free photo prints each month
No installation needed
Spotify Premium free for 6 months

There’s a one-off activation fee of £30.

jimexbox
04-11-2011, 17:08
Yes, the superhub is 75 quid, plus another 30 for activation. I've went right through the upgrade process until they want payment. You only get a free superhub if you take their telephone line too. I've confirmed all this with customer services too, they offered the superhub for 50 quid, but I'd rather not pay for a new router at all.

Like I said you can remove the superhub on the upgrade page, so do I need one?

General Maximus
04-11-2011, 18:18
unfortunately yes, I don't think it can handle 30mbit for one (and if it can, it defo can't handle 50mbit) and secondly, 30mbit it on docsis 3 and the ambit 256 isn't compatible so there is no way it is going to work.

Tbh dude I would try and twist things around to your advantage. You are you going to have to pay for a modem eventually so why not ask them if they'll give you one for free if you pay the extra few £££ per month and go straight up to 50mbit. This way you are still paying for it, but the cost is spread out montly plus you are benefiting from the extra speed.

I know it sucks ass, I had the same thing when 50mbit first came out. I had to pay £50 or the modem and then another £30 just for a flipping engineer to bring it round and watch me plug it in.

jimexbox
04-11-2011, 18:35
I've used the link by sirius (cheers!!), as it doesn't mention anything about having a virgin phone line. I missed it when I was looking to upgrade, so much for customer services, they don't even know what offers they have.

No extra to pay for 3 months and a free superhub. I have a good dlink wireless router and I believe I can just use it as a modem?

General Maximus
04-11-2011, 19:40
yup, you can whack it in modem mode and it will just be like having a newer version of what you have already got. Find out what the difference is between 30mbit and 50mbit, if it is only £3 or £4 a month i would seriously consider it

jimexbox
04-11-2011, 20:06
yup, you can whack it in modem mode and it will just be like having a newer version of what you have already got. Find out what the difference is between 30mbit and 50mbit, if it is only £3 or £4 a month i would seriously consider it

I'm going from £21 to £28.50, for the 30Mb. The 50Mb without phone line is £35. I would like to have it, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Told the Mrs it was only £2.50 a month upgrade ;) already. Not had a pay rise for a while. :(

Milambar
04-11-2011, 21:54
Unless its changed since I upgraded (when 30mbit first came out), its only £30.

I upgraded from 20 to 30mbit, and was only charged £30 for the superhub. Plus my monthly bill went down, because of the new rates. I upgraded via the telephone, not online. I have found you tend to get a better deal (fees waieved etc) by speaking to a real human.