PDA

View Full Version : 30M How reliable is 30MB ? Should I stick with 10MB ?

Mr K
01-11-2011, 09:12
hi,

I'm currently on 10MB and thinking of upgrading to 30MB. Take it I would need a 'Superhub' ? How reliable is that now ? I've been put off upgrading in the past by issues others have had. I do need it to be reliable as I work from home a bit. Does the SuperHub support VPN pass through ? 10MB has been rock solid and reliable for me, so I'm hesitant to change. However I'm regularly getting traffic managed in the evening, which is probably due to my son's online gaming.

Should I stick or twist ? thanks for any advice.

kwikbreaks
01-11-2011, 10:21
The Superhub is probably OK as a basic hub now since the memory leak bug was fixed but you can simply switch off all the routing functions and use it as a modem with your current router now should you want to.

There is no reason why 30Mbps should be any less reliable than 10Mbps .

Just look at the pricing and base your choice on that.

Mr K
01-11-2011, 10:37
thanks, just seen a thread on the Virgin support forum with people having problems with VPN passthrough and the Superhub. That's a gamestopper for me and I suspect many others.

kwikbreaks
01-11-2011, 11:29
Use it in modem mode then with your existing router which presumably must be working OK.

I used the company VPN through a Superhub when I had one a while back so it can't be all VPNs that fail.

Ignitionnet
01-11-2011, 11:29
I had no issues with an IPSEC SSL VPN via the Superhub. It depends on the VPN being used.

Mr K
01-11-2011, 12:25
Not sure the the technical specs but the VPN i'm using is Checkpoint VPN-1 Secure Client. Works perfectly with my NTL250 Modem and my own procured Netgear router. I'm a great believer if it ain't broke don't fix it, which is true a lot of the time for IT.

Take your point about 'modem' mode, guess that should work (in theory..), be nicer if it just worked without this though.

kwikbreaks
01-11-2011, 12:35
All you have to suggest that it won't is somebody posting about their own problems with their VPN. If it doesn't then modem mode will just put you back as you are now but on docsis 3 at 30Mbps so is pretty much a guaranteed fix.

If you don't want to take the risk then stick with 10Mbps and its STM limitations.