PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Modem mode IP question

ZrByte
31-10-2011, 21:42
Hi sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything.
Question is basically will modem mode effect or trigger reallocation of my external IP? Even though I know its not guaranteed I like my current IP and would rather not do anything to change it.

Ignitionnet
31-10-2011, 21:51
Yes. The address of the client asking for the IP address will become whatever you attach to the hub.

Being so attached to 4 binary octets is quite curious by the way ;)

Kymmy
31-10-2011, 21:53
Being able to see the IP in question I can understand why :clap:

ZrByte
31-10-2011, 22:01
Yes. The address of the client asking for the IP address will become whatever you attach to the hub.

Being so attached to 4 binary octets is quite curious by the way ;)

Right, I was hoping that the virgin network side would still see the same MAC as when the superhub is in router mode thus no new external IP.
Reason for the attachment is due to the simplicity. First two octets are a bit random but contain my lucky numbers and second two octets are the same as each other, and are very easy to remember since there are only 4 different numbers in total in the IP. :D

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Being able to see the IP in question I can understand why :clap:

Good isn't it? :D

arcimedes
31-10-2011, 23:24
Right, I was hoping that the virgin network side would still see the same MAC as when the superhub is in router mode thus no new external IP.
Reason for the attachment is due to the simplicity. First two octets are a bit random but contain my lucky numbers and second two octets are the same as each other, and are very easy to remember since there are only 4 different numbers in total in the IP.

However it will now see the MAC address of the router or PC attached to the "modem" so you get a new IP address,:sorry:

Milambar
01-11-2011, 03:09
MAC Spoofing ftw.

ZrByte
01-11-2011, 17:46
MAC Spoofing ftw.

Im pretty sure my Linksys e2000 supports MAC cloning. Would the MAC I need be the one displayed on the superhub status page? The one in-between software version and serial number?

webrosc
02-11-2011, 05:53
Im pretty sure my Linksys e2000 supports MAC cloning. Would the MAC I need be the one displayed on the superhub status page? The one in-between software version and serial number?

that mac is the same as the one printed on the superhubs label, so i'd guess its the routers and cloning it would make the network think its the same device when switching to modem mode

Ignitionnet
02-11-2011, 17:14

Why don't you just check the MAC address you are hitting on the Pooperhub via a wired connection. Command prompt and arp -a.

Then use that MAC on the WAN port of your router in modem mode :)

General Maximus
02-11-2011, 18:35
my linksys router lets me change the mac it advertises as well and I have only got a wrt150n so you would always get one of those for £40 ish if you needed a new router.

Milambar
02-11-2011, 21:51
Pretty much all routers with the exception of ones tied to a specific ISP, let you clone MAC addresses. I've never yet come across one where you couldn't.

ZrByte
05-11-2011, 16:17
Well I Can't get my superhub to work in modem mode so I've fallen before Ive started.
First try was with my good router set with a cloned MAC. I got nothing, no IP info or anything on the status page for my router and no access to 192.168.100.1 to configure the superhub.
Second try was with a standard MAC for my router. Status page was full of all sorts of IP info (And a different WAN IP :( ) but still no internet access or access to 192.168.100.1.
Third try was with My PC connected straight into the superhub and again I got nothing, Windows 7 reported it as an unidentified network.

All of the above was preceded by switching off everything, then powering up the superhub, then router, then PC one at a time only starting the next after the previous was showing ready status lights.
Connection was also in the correct socket on the superhub, its the only one that lights up when in modem mode anyway. and have tried several different ethernet cables.

Finally I did a pinhole reset and I even have my good IP back which is bizarre, I aways thought it was lost forever even if you switch back to the same MAC?

So I'm a bit at a loss now, My router works fine piggybacked on the superhub when modem mode is disabled. This is in the same socket as for modem mode so no faulty sockets.

horseman
05-11-2011, 17:42
Pretty much all routers with the exception of ones tied to a specific ISP, let you clone MAC addresses. I've never yet come across one where you couldn't.

Apple Airports! ……. ;)

Milambar
05-11-2011, 20:58
Apple Airports! ……. ;)

I was referring to real routers, not toy ones.

*dons his flameproof underwear*

ZrByte
06-11-2011, 22:23
Ive had a rather flaky internet connection today so have been looking at my connection power levels, seem a touch high to me based on some of the reading I have been doing. Can anyone confirm?
Hoping they are high as this could be related to why my hub wont work in modem mode.

General Maximus
07-11-2011, 08:33
they are defo way too high and need looking at. It would cause connection issues but it wouldn't stop your hub from being put in modem mode though, that is something completely different.

ZrByte
07-11-2011, 17:43
they are defo way too high and need looking at. It would cause connection issues but it wouldn't stop your hub from being put in modem mode though, that is something completely different.

Thanks, will call faults and see if i can get it sorted. Was thinking that the problem may be related to my modem mode issues as i seem to be having difficulties getting a signal lock. In both modes but have no access to the config page when switching to modem mode to see what the problem is.