PDA

View Full Version : Been away - now I'm back - Confused.com

Wiggz
31-10-2011, 11:07
Morning All,

I've been away from this forum for some time. Pesky things like Job, Life, and Money have kept me busy in the last year or 2, but now I've been looking about and realise that whilst once I was on a speedy 20mb connection for 37quid a month, I've downgraded in the last year or so to a 10mb connection at 26quid, which I'm starting to question.

So I just have a few questions really.

Traffic Management is a pain - my Internet speeds slow to a crawl within these times on 10MB - are other packages different?
Do the "unlimited" FUP limits change per package?
I only have Broadband (no TV and no Phone) - what packages are available...is it just the 30mb and 50mb now?
Are people generally happy with what they're paying?

Cheers in advance

BenMcr
31-10-2011, 11:18
If you are paying £26 for BB L you could certainly do better

For instance 30Mbit is £28.50 a month by itself (it does require a one off £30 activation fee and they'll send you a SuperHub)

Nopanic
31-10-2011, 11:26
Agreed with Ben, given them a call and take over your options.

Wiggz
31-10-2011, 11:44
I actually went to the existing customers bit of the website and upgraded to 30MB now...but I'm awaiting them to send me an email to let me know the price (awful and dodgy way to do business!).

I unticked the Superhub...I have zero need for it. My modem will be capable of the up to 30MB (it was with the 20 and 50 a year or so back).

BenMcr
31-10-2011, 11:50
I unticked the Superhub...I have zero need for it. My modem will be capable of the up to 30MB (it was with the 20 and 50 a year or so back).If you have the VMNG300 then yes it will be capable for 30Mbit.

Wiggz
31-10-2011, 11:57
I've no idea what I have actually. I know it's a little old "NTL" small blue box. It used to run the 20MB speeds fine. I want to say a "150" but not sure why or where I heard that lol!

I'm assuming the Superhub is a modem with built in router? I'd certainly not want to replace my current Cisco router as it's got more capabilities I require than most.

BenMcr
31-10-2011, 11:59
If it's blue and says ntl then it's the Ambit 250 and it won't be capable for 30Mbit and you will need a SuperHub

The SuperHub has a modem only mode which allows you to continue to use your own router if you wish

Wiggz
31-10-2011, 12:03
Great..I knew I'd mess something up trying to do it online. That means that I'm not going to have broadband when I get home tonight :/

Suppose I could just ring them....but then I get asked passwords and they are always wrong....they moan as the account is in my Wife's name...it's always so difficult to talk to CS. Last time I needed to it took 6 months for them to sort my issues (all I was doing was moving house and the house I was moving into already had Virgin cable!)

Any other suggestions?

BenMcr
31-10-2011, 12:06
I would hope they are switched on enough to realise that you don't have a SuperHub so don't upgrade you (and send you an e-mail to that effect)

Wiggz
31-10-2011, 12:08
Ben,

I sincerely hope so...but based on my previous dealings with them...I'm not holding my breath for any considerable amount of time

Nopanic
31-10-2011, 12:14
Is the 30/50/100 service code still prompting for a sh to be installed ?

Wiggz
31-10-2011, 12:49
Just rang CS and spoke to an indecipherable woman who eventually understood what I was after and put me through to Customer Care.

I used 0845 650 4545 - Don't suppose anyone knows the Customer Care number? They were helpful.

Couldn't see my order but re-ordered with Superhub for delivery tomorrow. So fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

NoPanic - FYI, I received no popup or dialog box referencing superhub...it was simply one of the options on the "upgrade" page....I unticked it first time around.

BenMcr
31-10-2011, 12:57
Normally any delivery is 2 working days so you are more likely to get the SuperHub on Wednesday (unless you are in the West Mids where there is a trial going on for next day deliveries)

Customer Services are on 0845 454 1111

Wiggz
31-10-2011, 13:01
Normally any delivery is 2 working days so you are more likely to get the SuperHub on Wednesday

Customer Services are on 0845 454 1111

Either/or, Wednesday is fine for me. Any ideas what will happen to my broadband service in the interim? Presumably my modem will explode at the change to 30mb? /sarcasm

Seriously...interested to know how these things work. I've been with NTL/Virgin for so long now without a viable alternative (we refuse to pay for line rental on a phone we'll never use) I've just taken these things for granted.

I think before, I upgraded to 20MB via a simple config file push to my modem.

BenMcr
31-10-2011, 13:03
The process is the same but the reason you need new kit is that 30Mbit and above use channel bonding which the older modems don't do

Your broadband won't change until you have phoned up the activation line to confirm you've got (and installed) your SuperHub