PDA

View Full Version : 100M Question About Old Property and 100 Mb Internet Connection...

ScotJames
30-10-2011, 15:36
I currently live in a very old (124 year old!) House.

I have checked and i can get 100 Mb in my area.

I was wondering, does my house being old affect the internet connection from Virgin Media in any way?

I'm asking because I have had ADSL and because the house has very old wiring, the connection was really bad.

Any help is appreciated :)

Kingofthedead4
30-10-2011, 15:38
Welcome to the Forum, Virgin will put its own cable in so there wont be a problem.

ScotJames
30-10-2011, 15:41
Welcome to the Forum, Virgin will put its own cable in so there wont be a problem.

Thanks!

and Ah ok, so they will install new cabling?

Kingofthedead4
30-10-2011, 15:45
Yes to get speeds of 100meg you will need to have a cable fitted. They will put it in any room you require and supply you with a hub for wifi.

ScotJames
30-10-2011, 15:56
Yes to get speeds of 100meg you will need to have a cable fitted. They will put it in any room you require and supply you with a hub for wifi.

Does it matter how long the cable is?

With ADSL, The longer the cable the worser the connection?

E.g. does it matter if the cable comes just into the front room or if I have it traveling all the way up to a bedroom?

Will it affect speeds if the cable is longer?

Milambar
30-10-2011, 15:59
Cable is mostly independant of cable length. That is, it doesnt matter how far you are. There is some degredation of signal on long distances, but they just use a thicher and better quality cable in those cases.

My concern would be damage to the property. They WILL drill at least one hole in the wall of the building, and they WILL bolt a junction box to the outside wall, and one to the inside wall. On a 100y/old property this may be less than desirable.

Kingofthedead4
30-10-2011, 16:00
I dont believe it is a problem, but I would ask Customer services to be on the safe side, preferably not the call centre in india.