PDA

View Full Version : 30mb Broadband in Peterborough

SimpleSimon
29-10-2011, 16:54
I believe all 20mb broadband customers can upgrade to 30mb without any additional monthly fee. I am currently on 20mb connected by a VM (Ambit 256) modem connected to my own PC based Router/Firewall (IPCop). I am led to believe that to get 30mb I will need the new VM Superhub. I live in Peterborough PE3 postcode. My 20mb broadband is currently very reliable at an average of 18mb by the speedtest on this site which I do every day

So here are my questions.

1. Will I regret going to 30mb in Peterborough based on other users experience?
2. Can the Superhub be turned into modem only?

Thanks in advance

Simon

SimpleSimon
02-11-2011, 21:10
Is there nobody in Peterborough on 30mb?

thenry
02-11-2011, 21:35
1, depends how crowded your local is. ask VM; ring 150 > 5 'thinking of leaving us' and ask them to put you through to a UK agent, tell them your worries first and they should transfer your call. call during the day tomorrow.

2, yes

General Maximus
03-11-2011, 18:10
tbh dude now that you can put it in modem mode you don't have to worry about the functionality of it too much because all the problems before were associated to the routing side.

That being said, many people have still complained about how hot it gets, how bright the LEDs are and how much power it consumes. I am going to be in the same boat as you when I upgrade to 100mbit and i am going to do everything i can to keep my current modem aka the flawless vmng300

Ignitionnet
03-11-2011, 19:18
1, depends how crowded your local is. ask VM; ring 150 > 5 'thinking of leaving us' and ask them to put you through to a UK agent, tell them your worries first and they should transfer your call. call during the day tomorrow.

Transfer the call to what? What a load of *******s why would VM in any capacity transfer a customer to someone within the company to tell them not to upgrade and sign a new contract with them? Your solution to every issue ever seems to be to phone 150 and talk to retentions. They aren't some magic bullet to fix everything in the world ever and it's somewhat odd suggesting that someone who wants to ensure they're making the right choice about upgrading talks to the team in charge of customers who genuinely might want to leave the service.

"Hi thinking of leaving you team I'm thinking of upgrading and signing a new 12 month contract....."

The answer is probably not as you're probably already on the same network as you would be on 30Mb and if not there's a guarantee so you can roll back if you upgrade.

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

That being said, many people have still complained about how hot it gets, how bright the LEDs are and how much power it consumes. I am going to be in the same boat as you when I upgrade to 100mbit and i am going to do everything i can to keep my current modem aka the flawless vmng300

The VMNG300 was far from flawless and you'll have to get shot of it if you want 100Mb as VM step up the number of channels on the service which makes the 8 channels on the Superhub more and more important. This will become a really big issue next year.

SimpleSimon
03-11-2011, 20:03
Thanks for the replies guys. I will probably now really think about giving it a go and upgrade to 30mb. Will post back with my thoughts after upgrading.

thenry
03-11-2011, 20:07
Transfer the call to what? What a load of *******s why would VM in any capacity transfer a customer to someone within the company to tell them not to upgrade and sign a new contract with them? Your solution to every issue ever seems to be to phone 150 and talk to retentions. They aren't some magic bullet to fix everything in the world ever and it's somewhat odd suggesting that someone who wants to ensure they're making the right choice about upgrading talks to the team in charge of customers who genuinely might want to leave the service.

"Hi thinking of leaving you team I'm thinking of upgrading and signing a new 12 month contract....."

The answer is probably not as you're probably already on the same network as you would be on 30Mb and if not there's a guarantee so you can roll back if you upgrade.

so if the OP calls up BB support and gets through to offshore will they tell him his locals crowded? will they tell him everythings fine or actually have a look? From personal experience I've found UK based support much more efficient.