PDA

View Full Version : 50M Computer numpty, slow connection.

GingerS1
29-10-2011, 17:36
Hi all, as the title says really, I'd appreciate your opinions and help on this as quite frankly I have no idea when it comes to computers.... :(

Yesterday I had VM fit my broadband and phone package, I was previously with sky but their customer service was so shocking during a house move that I decided to change, the package I now have is 50mb broadband (fibre optic wire thing) and a phone line.

I have downloaded a speed test iPad app and the best I have seen so far is;
Ping. 46ms
Upload. 4.58mbps
Download. 19.54mbps

Is this the norm? Or is there something I can do to improve things?

Many thanks
Simon.

devilincarnate
29-10-2011, 17:45
Hi all, as the title says really, I'd appreciate your opinions and help on this as quite frankly I have no idea when it comes to computers.... :(

Yesterday I had VM fit my broadband and phone package, I was previously with sky but their customer service was so shocking during a house move that I decided to change, the package I now have is 50mb broadband (fibre optic wire thing) and a phone line.

I have downloaded a speed test iPad app and the best I have seen so far is;
Ping. 46ms
Upload. 4.58mbps
Download. 19.54mbps

Is this the norm? Or is there something I can do to improve things?

Many thanks
Simon.

With the I-pad App I take it you are testing over WI-FI? Have you tried either WWW.SPEEDTEST.NET or http://www.speed.io/index_en.html From the PC to see what speeds you get.

GingerS1
29-10-2011, 17:57
Hi,
It's the 'speedtest' app I'm using over the wifi. Do I need to use a laptop and Ethernet cable?

Thanks!

devilincarnate
29-10-2011, 18:18
I for one are the same as you not very technically minded but from what I have read on here you will get slower speeds over wi-fi. Is the modem and router connected to a home PC?

GingerS1
29-10-2011, 18:44
It's not, I'm using a virgin super router and everything is wireless to that, so I'll just plug my laptop straight into that.

20mb is far better than I ever had with sky so I'm happy, its just a case of why pay for 50mb when virgins 30mb package will do if I can only get 20mbs!

Cheers.

GingerS1
29-10-2011, 21:52
Hmm..... Have just run a wifi test again and got 0.16mbps download speed! I realise 9pm on a Saturday night there will be a lot of people using the servers, but for a 50mb service 0.16 is outrageous!